Ok, I really haven't heard much about Doors CS so I'm not too familiar with it. All I know is that I saw something about ti basic. Can someone tell me how I can program ti basic though Doors CS differently compared to the regular way. Also, I downloaded the .zip file but then what? Will this erase my programs, settings and such? Does it override my current os (mp 3.5)? Is it like flashing a os on a smartphone after rooting?
JPfowl, I renamed your topic, but as comicIDIOT said, I don't think I got it right. Can you be more clear about what you're saying? Are you talking about using SourceCoder 2.5 to create, edit, and view TI-BASIC programs? Please elucidate further.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doors cs is an os for ti 84 s and such right? Because I do a lot of programming on my calculator and often times to write some of my more complicated ones, like the ones I ask for help on, I need to use source coder from my computer, which isn't always easy. If doors does what I think it does then I will allow me to program more easily on the calculator itself, right?
JPfowl wrote:
Ok, I really haven't heard much about this so I'm not too familiar with it. All I know is that I saw something about ti basic. Can someone tell me how I can program ti basic though this differently compared to the regular way. Also, I downloaded the .zip file but then what? Will this erase my programs, settings and such? Does it override my current os (mp 3.5)? Is it like flashing a os on a smartphone after rooting?

I'm not aware if you can create a new program through DCS, but you can edit TI-BASIC programs. Also, it's no different.

To place the DCS7 Application on your Calculator connect to it via Mini USB to USB, calculator to computer respectively. Most cameras these days use Mini USB, PS3 Controllers use Mini USB. Chances are, you have a Mini USB laying around.

Open TI Connect and follow the steps from there.

No, it's not an OS. It's an application like the ones on your computer. DCS provides a graphical way to view programs, and developers ways to create better games by using the functions and routines it provides.

Related to the above:
JPfowl wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doors cs is an os for ti 84 s and such right?
JPfowl wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doors cs is an os for ti 84 s and such right?
Ohh, you're talking about my Doors CS 7! You should absolutely be using Doors CS 7.2 Beta 2 on your calculator. Like the very poorly-named MirageOS, it is a shell, specifically an Application, but not an OS. You need not reset, reboot, delete, etc. Nothing will disappear, and you can finally remove Mirage, Celtic III, xLIB, or a few others from your calculator; Doors CS does everything those apps do better, faster, and more stably.

What Doors CS provides to you as a BASIC programmer:
>> Instant Goto to ERR:BLAH conditions
>> Editing and execution of archived programs
>> DCSB Libs
>> Celtic III Libs
>> PicArc Libs
>> xLIB Libs
>> Icons and descriptions
So it doesn't change programming on the ti in any way, only how it's viewed? Because what I like about source coder is that you can copy, paste, set to be so that the user can't open the code, etc. Can doors do this?
JPfowl wrote:
So it doesn't change programming on the ti in any way, only how it's viewed?
No, it also provides you with a huge number of functions and features to use. Check 'em all out:

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=DCSB_Libs
JPfowl wrote:
More or less, Correct.
comicIDIOT wrote:
JPfowl wrote:
More or less, Correct.
I disagree; when was the last time you could do awesome DCS GUIs in a few hundreds bytes without Doors CS? Wink And super-fast sprites, tilemaps, and all that fun stuff?

Edit: Unfortunately, no, you cannot use Doors CS's BASIC editor to copy-and-paste. Oh, one feature I forgot to mention was that the Doors CS BASIC editor is eight lines rather than seven.
JPfowl wrote:
So it doesn't change programming on the ti in any way, only how it's viewed? Because what I like about source coder is that you can ... set to be so that the user can't open the code, etc. Can doors do this?
Yes, when you secondary click, Alpha?, or even if you hover a bar appears and you just click the lock to lock or unlock the program.

Sadly, users area able to unlock any program by this method as well.
I think it's been a while since you've used Doors CS, Alex. Smile The hover thing shows the program description and size, but does not contain the program manipulation tools. But yes, ALPHA-clicking or TRACE-clicking lets you lock, copy, cut, paste, hide, and all those fun things.
The only thing that interests me is the potential to program in basic with either more power/ functionality like setting it so the user can't see the code or programming quicker like copy and paste. I don't use any of the other libraries for programming, and the guy on computer is one thing but I think it's too much of a hassle on a calc.
JPfowl wrote:
The only thing that interests me is the potential to program in basic with either more power/ functionality like setting it so the user can't see the code or programming quicker like copy and paste. I don't use any of the other libraries for programming, and the guy on computer is one thing but I think it's too much of a hassle on a calc.
You can indeed set it so the user can't see the code, as Alex said, but of course a knowledgeable user could set the program to be editable again the same way. You should consider the libraries once you master TI-BASIC, I think; they offer you a lot of power and speed without having to learn ASM.
Well I don't really program for function, but more for fun. Like my current project virus scan, it does nothing but waste calc time and memory. So those other libraries are irrelevant to me right now. As for programming basic with and without doors, can I program in doors then copy it to other calcs with out doors?
You can. If you write a program using Doors CS's program-editing features, and copy it to a non-Doors CS calculator, it will work very nicely. If you use third-party libraries like the hybrid libs Doors CS provides, your program will work less well, although all your friends should have Doors CS as well.
So I could create a program on the calc normally, lock it in doors, then export to other calcs?
Yup, and it'll stay that way until someone uses DCS or another way to unlock it.
JPfowl wrote:

Yes, Doors does provide a superb environment for creating programs as mentioned by Kerm in an earlier post. It's unfortunate you don't use libraries since they will benefit your program in the long run.

As per copy and pasting, you can use a TI-BASIC shortcut. With the code you wish to use over and over, you can use prgmBLOCK1 to call duplicate blocks of code. If you need to copy another code block just create another program with the code and call it BLOCK2. At the end of the program place a Return token and the first program will resume right where it left off. You'll also save many bytes this way.
Ok, I get the idea of the block thing but the problem is that I'll code, run the code, and reprogram to either fix or in most cases, add more features. Then I realize I need that code again, in most cases, that code is long and I would have to fettle it in a new program then link that
Program in my original one. Is there any app ormshell that allows for more functionality, more commands, or easier programming while on the calc? Of is there an easier way to program from my computer besides connecting the calc, openin ti connect, downloading the program, parsing it in source coder, then programming in course code, co piling, uploading to my calc then testing?
Okay, say you have a program and you need to the same group of circles more than once at different locations in the program. You could use Labels (lbl) but those get tricky and slow your program down if you don't use them correctly. However, you can call another program to do similar work.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to not code a working program. This program needs to draw a set of circles every time it completes something.

Assuming the graph screen is set to the dimensions of 62,94.

Code:
startTimer

If A=1
Then
For(B,A,10
Horizontal B
End
End

prgmCIRCLES

If pxl-test(35,16)=1
ClearGraphScreen

prgmCIRCLES

If checktimer/60>3
Vertical 10

prgmCIRCLES

Return

I must admit, that's a really bad program but I've been out of the BASIC game for a few years.

Now, for the circles you need an x,y coordinate and a radius. So, let's choose those at random. So the circles don't get to big, let's just set the largest radius to ten. Do that, we'll multiply a random number by 10. Here, use "rand" since it'll produce a decimal between 0 and 1. So multiplying it by 10 will work.

Code:
For(B,1,4
rand*94->X
rand*62->Y
rand*10->r

Circle(y,x,r
End
Return

There, we'll draw four circles at random points with random diameters.

Now, BASIC experts, make my code work... D:
Doors CS offers more commands to put programs, but only the extra commands we've mentioned for making programs from a developer standpoint. No other app really offers the features you're looking for, especially copy and paste, other than of course SourceCoder. Since both SourceCoder and Doors CS are my creations, I won't be too insulted regardless of which you choose. Wink If you want to use SourceCoder more quickly, you should store your programs within SourceCoder as a project, so that you don't have to re-parse your original every time you want to make progress. And you can use an emulator like WabbitEmu to test without loading the program to your calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours