I've been getting into lists, but I'm kinda having trouble with it.

I noticed, while on the homescreen, something like this:

"HELLO, TESTING."->LTEST

Where the L in LTEST is that tiny little L.

It goes through.

However, if I type LTEST in the calc, and hit enter, I get an ERR:DATA TYPE.

How can I "reopen" LTEST so I could view the "HELLO, TESTING." ?

P.S.

Is there any way to get to that tiny little L without going through the catalog every time?
Use omnicalc to set a shortcut... (It never worked on my calc...)

You can also get to it in the lists menu(2nd,Stat,->,^)
Giggybyte wrote:

"HELLO, TESTING."->LTEST

It goes through.

You can't put strings in lists. Lists are for sequences of numbers, and I'm really confused how you managed to convince it to store in the first place.

Quote:
How can I "reopen" LTEST so I could view the "HELLO, TESTING." ?
See above. {1,2,3->LTEST is valid. "123->LTEST is not.

Quote:
P.S.

Is there any way to get to that tiny little L without going through the catalog every time?
[2nd][STAT][RIGHT][UP][ENTER].
Kerm: doing such as

Code:
"L1*2->L2

causes useful things, such as making L2(X) always be twice as much as L1(X), even if L1 is changed afterwards.
Basically, it's a variable list.
KermMartian wrote:
Giggybyte wrote:

"HELLO, TESTING."->LTEST

It goes through.

You can't put strings in lists. Lists are for sequences of numbers, and I'm really confused how you managed to convince it to store in the first place.

Type "HELLO->A on the homescreen, it accepts it. It is a glitch in the OS I believe, having something to do with the Y1-Y0 variables? I don't remember the specifics, but I've seen it explained before. If you look in the List names, there will be a list called A in the list of lists. :p
calcdude84se wrote:
Kerm: doing such as

Code:
"L1*2->L2

causes useful things, such as making L2(X) always be twice as much as L1(X), even if L1 is changed afterwards.
Basically, it's a variable list.
Equation-based lists are indeed a useful thing; I totally forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me. Smile It's unfortunate they can't be used to create infinite numbers of strings, though, as Giggybyte discovered. Sad
What calcdude84se and KermMartian said. "{X³→XCUBE, for instance – this list gets recalculated every time it is called.

Storing a string to a letter is actually storing a list formula to a custom list name. I've seen more discussion of this being a mystery/glitch than what it is, and it saddens me. Check the list names menu afterward to see what you've been doing.

As for the small L, [2nd] [0] [)] [ENTER] is fastest, and does indeed go through the catalog.
Weregoose wrote:
As for the small L, [2nd] [0] [)] [ENTER] is fastest, and does indeed go through the catalog.
Oooh, very nice, I wouldn't have thought of that. I think in my hardcore BASIC programming days I always use the keystroke combination that I suggested, which is of course longer.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours