Will the EVO 2 Suck or Rock?
It will Rock!
 22%  [ 2 ]
It's gonna suck.
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

Three points to make here:

1) Some Android apps, although Java-based, have native code inside them. This is why some apps simply refuse to run on Android-x86, but will run perfectly on a typical ARM Android device (see also: Angry Birds).

2) The device doesn't seem realistic to me. The controller bears an overwhelmingly strong resemblance to the original Xbox controller. (We used to own an original Xbox; I'd know. It seems a bit photoshopped.

3) We are really getting off-topic.
technomonkey76 wrote:
1) Some Android apps, although Java-based, have native code inside them. This is why some apps simply refuse to run on Android-x86, but will run perfectly on a typical ARM Android device (see also: Angry Birds).

Funny how the one example you give actually does have an x86 version...
DShiznit wrote:
technomonkey76 wrote:

Wait... it does? I simply recall there being native code. I don't know if it was only in the past, or if they're separate versions or something else, but I still give the same point.
technomonkey76 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
technomonkey76 wrote:

Wait... it does? I simply recall there being native code. I don't know if it was only in the past, or if they're separate versions or something else, but I still give the same point.
There's an Angry Birds for Mac (x86) but I doubt you were referring to certain desktops. Relatedly, iOS and Android are both ARM.
DShiznit wrote:
As for the Xbox 360:

Like I said, hitting the $130 price point with Xbox(360) components isn't hard. You seem to think it's much much more powerful(and thus more expensive) than it actually is. Must be Microsoft's marketing at work.

Hitting $130 price point with XBox 360 components is impossible. Refurb prices are irrelevant because that is *after* the original sale. Moreover, you seem unaware of the economics of consoles. Major consoles like the 360 and PS3 are sold at a *loss* for a very long time, and make their money back on accessories (huge markup) and games (MS and Sony and Nintendo get a cut of every single game sold - to the tune of about $10/game).

There is also a significant aspect of the economics of scale going on with the 360 and PS3. The raw parts are not as expensive as what the console sells for, no, but you have engineers to pay, R&D, maintenance, support, etc... MS also sells and cranks out a lot more consoles than the EVO2 will, thus allowing them to have a lower margin per unit.

Ignoring the custom aspect and looking at more off the shelf parts (what a small company could realistically get at), you are looking at ~$40 for just the video card to more or less match a 360. And that would be for a regular ol' PCI-Express card, not a small, integrated solution (which is more expensive - much more).

Perhaps a better example would be to simply look at the cost of an existing solution - such as a pandaboard. It has a TI OMAP 4430 (dual core Cortex A9, PowerVR SGX540 GPU), HDMI output (including 1080p), can run Android, has USB, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, etc... And it costs $174: http://pandaboard.org/ Price point and physical size look a bit familiar there?

Of course, if you've got $150 you could always buy one and find out.

Quote:
Uh, as far as I know, just about all Android apps are written in Java, which doesn't necessitate any native code.

Almost all apps, yes. Games are a completely different story, though, and are pretty much the reverse. Most are written in a mix of native and Java, very few are Java-only. Particularly 3d games are almost always native.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours