So,

Month or so ago I asked about what laptop I should buy and I bought the Asus n73sv, which is working great.

Now, I need Cemetech help again Smile

My both parents are architects and got some problems with workstations.

1) They bought HP Z-series workstation which was working great until the graphics card started to update slowly.
Anyone idea why? New graphics card ordered ^^

2) Work laptop
My father says it MUST be HP and must have enough power to run Archicad, Vertex and run multiple tasks fast.
So I think its HP Elitebook notebook, tell me what you think about it.
I'm not actually sure why do they want a laptop as it will be connected to the 30" monitor, so it needs to have enough resulution to work with the screen.

Tell me what you think Smile
It could be that they wish to bring it with them if they work outside the house. However, a small nettop box would work, some even support the popular VESA mount specification for rear mounting on TV's, if not you could probably find an accessory online.
A nettop box would definitely not be the right choice for architecture CAD work, in my opinion. You'd want something with a much beefier processor, RAM, and especially graphics card.
I've already told him that the laptop is not a good decision as they don't do much work away from home.

In my opinion HP workstations are overpriced computers.
Whats the difference between a gaming PC and a workstation?

I'd buy a powerful gaming PC, not a workstation.
Doesn't the software have to be programmed to utilize the graphics card? I know that Photoshop wasn't graphics accelerated until CS5. I'd imagine CAD Software (at least high end) would be Graphics Accelerated.

The next option would be to sit your parents down and talk to them about their options. Similarly to what Pizzaboy mentioned, a custom built "Gaming PC" would out-perform anything they can find on the market. But, don't bring it up as a gaming PC because then they'll have the mindset that it is a Gaming PC and not what they need, when in reality it would be perfect.

A shunned option (in my experience here) would be to get a Mac Mini with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M and strip it of OS X and install Windows 7. It's not unheard of and you get a pretty decent computer in the form factor to boot; it fits nicely on the back of a TV Wink It's a bit tough to get onto the mount, however.

You don't need to upgrade anything, save the RAM though. Which you can upgrade for significantly cheaper on your own.
I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a Mac and then remove OS X from it. OS X is one of the main excuses Mac enthusiasts give for why it's worthwhile to overpay so significantly for the hardware. Wink You could roll any kind of decent i7 or perhaps even i5 desktop with a decent graphics card for way, way under the $1000 pricepoint that might do the trick for their needs, in my opinion.
comicIDIOT wrote:
A shunned option (in my experience here) would be to get a Mac Mini with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M and strip it of OS X and install Windows 7. It's not unheard of and you get a pretty decent computer in the form factor to boot; it fits nicely on the back of a TV Wink It's a bit tough to get onto the mount, however.

It's shunned because it's stupid. It's a laptop minus the appearance of portability. That's the part Apple forgets to tell you, the Mini uses *mobile* parts. When you are comparing to other desktops, keep in mind you aren't getting a real i5 or i7, you are getting the laptop versions. They are stripped down and slower than their desktop equivalents. Ditto on the GPU, which are *really* stripped down and *much* slower than their desktop equivalents. Hell, you have to go with the $1,000 "server" (lol) Mac Mini just to get a quad core, and it's a slow 2.0 ghz i7-2635QM, which will be rofl-stomped by pretty much any desktop quad core.

You can actually get a machine with the same CPU as the Mac Mini "server" with more RAM and a 17.3" screen attached for $150 less than the mini: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152252 And unlike the Mini, it even has a DVD drive. Rolling Eyes

Thus we come back to why the Mini is shunned - it's a ridiculously stupid waste of money.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours