willrandship wrote:
Well, if all goes well with my SD Card mod, you will never lack for space again. Very Happy up to 2TB theoretically, although the largest you can get nwo is only 64-128 GB. (They're in the SDXC standard)

O_o 128 GB? Imagine all the ROMs I could fit on my nspire XD
I hope you're talking about legitimate ROMs, not promoting illegal software on this site. Shock I get the impression that the TI-89ti is more powerful (and less buggy) CAS-wise, but I'm a bit biased against the Nspire, of course.
Quote:
I get the impression that the TI-89ti is more powerful (and less buggy) CAS-wise

It would be the opposite, in fact Smile
The Nspire has several more built-in functions, and I haven't been able to reproduce a number of the AMS bugs on Phoenix 3.0.1.1753 (but this version has many other bugs that no other version had). But Phoenix is less extensible...
KermMartian wrote:
I hope you're talking about legitimate ROMs, not promoting illegal software on this site. Shock I get the impression that the TI-89ti is more powerful (and less buggy) CAS-wise, but I'm a bit biased against the Nspire, of course.

no, no. I am just saying how much stuff you could fit. I would never promote illegal software :innocent face:

Heck, with 128 GB, you could probably make a linux distro for the nspire.. >.>
Nice save, Qazz.

It doesn't look like I've posted in this thread. I'd say to just go with whatever is the cheapest.
Yeah, effectively you'd set it up so that the RAM actually acts like RAM is meant to on desktops. Linux can run with only 16 MB Razz

And I'd have to agree with _player, that large of a cash difference would be enough to sway me towards the older one.
If you can install Linux on an 80386 laptop with 4MB RAM and a 120MB hard drive, I think you could pull off compiling an ARM build for an Nspire. Smile Historically, the biggest problem would be bootstrapping the low level storage, input, and output drivers, I think.
_player1537 wrote:
Nice save, Qazz.

It doesn't look like I've posted in this thread. I'd say to just go with whatever is the cheapest.
Considering the reported utility and quality of the Nspire and its operating system, I'd definitely do the same. I've been meaning to grab myself one of those $60 Nspires at some point for the sake of my collection, not that I feel the model is really worth my money.
well, it would be if they had Asm support natively. 150 mhz ARM9 is nothing to scoff at, nor is the 320x240 screen or the multitude of GPIO pins.
Porting Linux to the Nspire is definately doable and there are rumors that the early omap based prototypes ran a Linux based OS. The hardware can definately do it, that isn't a question.

In regards to the topic starter, personally I'd go with the CX if for nothing else the much nicer color screen.
_player1537 wrote:
Nice save, Qazz.

Assuming money is limited, I would take a CX if I had the money for it
Jonimus, the hardware is absolutely capable; the question is who wants to go through the pain of throwing all the drivers together, getting it to boot with the locked-down nature of the devices, etc.
Well, ndless already has C-based libraries associated with low-level hardware, which would be at least somewhat portable to linux.

If only we had the RSA keys...then wee could get around the entire "locking down" issue, although someone already found a way around the boot1 level (Lowest level possible without hardware changes) the method found is a tad bit risky, and would have a high risk of calc bricking.
Also even with the RSA keys, I bet TI would try something else to lock down the calcs. Notice what they did with the TI-84 Plus Pocket.Fr and Boot 1.03. They rendered the 84+ RSA keys useless.
willrandship wrote:
Well, if all goes well with my SD Card mod, you will never lack for space again. Very Happy up to 2TB theoretically, although the largest you can get nwo is only 64-128 GB. (They're in the SDXC standard)
Still, that's a lot (as qazz42, er, pointed out) Surprised I don't even have 64-128 GB of flash memory total!
While we're bashing the Nspire, I was reading the Staples weekly sales flyer today, and even my mother commented that they're still selling the TI-84+ and TI-83+ series. More significantly to me, they had no Nspires at all advertised, so presumably they're not popular at all. I hope that is indeed that case and that perhaps TI is starting to get the message about its poor decisions.
Among individual buyers aware of the Nspire platform's limitations and of TI's philosophical stance about it, such as you and me are, the Nspire is probably not very popular indeed.
But nowadays, in a number of countries, individuals are not the driving sales force. School institutions and test regulation authorities are, and they're the target groups. And we have to live with that state of fact, even if there are many reasons why it sucks (incompetent test regulation authorities, low representativeness of standardized tests wrt. real-world usage, etc.) Wink

See the discussion at https://groups.google.com/group/tinspire/browse_thread/thread/933ddea846c24a26 , featuring a loooong post by myself (I spent three or four hours on it), replying to fairly long posts by the thread starter.
wow ,the nspire is turning into a failure for TI? You know, if I remember correctly, I was the only kid in 9th grade who had an nspire, but I never used it,I stuck to my trusty TI-84+SE.... I think everyone saw them as too complicated :/

also, the were probably also put off when I told them gaming on the nspire was not as extensive as the TI-84+SE, and when they saw the extra $50 it cost at staples.
I've only seen one other nspire than the two I own IRL.

Someone should really do the boot1 hack so we can put it our own boot2. It could even be set up to run the normal OS.
KermMartian, I bought a TI-Nspire CX yesterday at the Staples store in Quebec City area near the two bridges, and they were barely noticeable at all in the store.

You had a place where you easily see the TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus Silver, Casio PRIZM and TI-89 titanium, but no Nspire models there. Instead, those were located in the middle of the aisle, hidden inside some sort of carton shelve, along with more TI-83 Pluses at the top. If I didn't check at the bottom, I would never have known that store had the Nspire anymore.

I definitively think it doesn't sell well here, so they don't do as much effort to show it like they do with other TI models and the Casio Prizm.

By the way in retail stores, it's $194.99 over here for the regular CX, even more than the TI-89 Titanium and $45 higher than a PRIZM. Also they no longer have Casio FX-9750G+ in stock (which they sold for $24.75), the only Casio graphing calc they sell anymore is the Prizm itself.

As for the calc, I personally like the Prizm better. The touchpad controls are kinda annoying because if you press a different arrow direction while still touching it, it will still continue moving in the other direction until you stop touching it, not to mention it's annoying when selecting stuff when the mouse cursor always appears randomly and you accidentally click stuff you don't want to.

Also you can't adjust the LCD brightness like on the Prizm. Granted, its brightness is the equivalent of 4/5 on the Prizm, but it would be nice if we could change it to slightly brighter or darker depending of the room lightning or if we want to save on battery power while still using the calc non-stop. Also there are some display glitches it seems like white squares appearing under the cursor after it disappears, from time to time, and we notice some weird horizontal stuff due to the interlacing from time to time (like on a VHS tape), although it's not too noticeable.

EDIT: You know what's funny? The Nintendo 3DS I bought the same day as my CX costed me $25 less than my calculator! Shock

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours