If I wanted to make a game where 2 calculators could play against each other over the internet, how would I go about this? I read the documentation for CalcNet but only understood the portion pertaining to calc-to-calc linking
The same calc to calc linking code can be used with gCn, so you don't need to learn anything else.
souvik1997 wrote:
The same calc to calc linking code can be used with gCn, so you don't need to learn anything else.
Precisely. From the calculators' point of view, the globalCALCnet link is invisible; they think they're directly connected over a local network. The only time you have to worry about gCn yourself as a programmer is if you want gCn to offer some kind of special computer-based service to the calculators (cf. IRCHub and WebHub for Chat and Gossamer, respectively).
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
Precisely. From the calculators' point of view, the globalCALCnet link is invisible; they think they're directly connected over a local network. The only time you have to worry about gCn yourself as a programmer is if you want gCn to offer some kind of special computer-based service to the calculators (cf. IRCHub and WebHub for Chat and Gossamer, respectively).

If you want, you can think of gCn as a VPN (like Hamachi) for calculators. All you need to do computer side is make sure that everyone playing the game is connected to the same virtual hub on Kerm's metahub.
That's exactly right; I'm flattered that you guys understand the systems that I designed so well. Very Happy Now I just need to convince you (Souvik) to finish CALCnet Tournament, and you (Elfprince) to finish Strategic Conquest, Cn2.2 Edition. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
That's exactly right; I'm flattered that you guys understand the systems that I designed so well. Very Happy Now I just need to convince you (Souvik) to finish CALCnet Tournament, and you (Elfprince) to finish Strategic Conquest, Cn2.2 Edition. Wink

Yeah, I really should be getting back to work on that, unfortunately I have a bunch of other things to do as well such as summer school and chores.
souvik1997 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yeah, I really should be getting back to work on that, unfortunately I have a bunch of other things to do as well such as summer school and chores.
Good luck, I hope that it works out for you soon! Smile
Calcnet sucks.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Calcnet sucks.
A constructive and informative contribution from our premier ticalc.org staff member, as always. Smile Hot_Dog, do you have any additional CALCnet/gCn questions at this point?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours