Pizzaboy, another official in the town of Arcadia in the land of Elysium on the planet Evocat.us, is debating a new laptop. I'll let him speak for himself:

Pizzaboy wrote:
So, I need a laptop that can run minecraft with good FPS and handle 3DS max and other designing softwares that I need.

The laptop will be used for work and minecraft on holiday <.<

My budget is around 700-1000€
and I prefer HP's and windows Smile

Cheaper Envy;
HP Envy 14-1190eo / 14.5" HD / Intel Core i7-720QM / 4 GB / 500 GB / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
(Finnish site; http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/7842/ctqhn/HP-Envy-14-1190eo-14-5-HD-Intel-Core-i7-720QM-4-GB )

1200€ Envy;
HP Envy 14-1260eo 14.5" HD/Core i7-720QM/8 GB/750 GB/Radeon HD 5650 1
(Site; http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/46814/dbdrv/HP-Envy-14-1260eo-14-5-HD-Core-i7-720QM-8-GB-750-GB-Radeon )

Never had good laptop, and this time I don't want to do any small mistakes, by buying the cheaper one that won't run the softwares that I need.

Feel free to suggest laptops.
KermMartian wrote:
Pizzaboy, another official in the town of Arcadia in the land of Elysium on the planet Evocat.us...
What in the world did you just say?!

As for the laptops, I'd personally avoid HP, and go for something bigger than 14.5.
What's the scale of the projects Pizzaboy works on? Large software packages like 3DS MAX and laptops don't generally mix well (unless you're willing to spend $$$ and sacrifice some portability.)
And why HP's? I have yet to see an HP Laptop that was not a cheap PoS. They skimp everywhere to sell you crap that you will have to replace in a few years. I'd go with anything other than HP personally unless he doesn't care about it lasting more than a few years.
In case you didn't know, those laptops use the first generation of i7 processors. A list of the second generation of i7 processors can be found here.
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/mobile/index.htm#docs
Souvik, do you know of some solid laptops with good discrete graphics cards and those second-generation i7s?
KermMartian wrote:
Souvik, do you know of some solid laptops with good discrete graphics cards and those second-generation i7s?
Dell XPS line, he can get 2nd gen i5's or i7's with good graphics cards and support that isn't horrible as well as hardware that will last.
MacBook Pro 17". Done.
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Dell XPS line, he can get 2nd gen i5's or i7's with good graphics cards and support that isn't horrible as well as hardware that will last.
I'll second the Dell XPSes; I haven't personally had one of their laptops, but their desktops seem pretty solid to me.
allynfolksjr wrote:
MacBook Pro 17". Done.

Only if you never plan on using the CPU or GPU - as soon as you do, the teeny tiny fan screams and the entire chassis gets *very* hot.

MBP is a ripoff.
I'm with nikky, though I might say a high-end 15" depending on his price constraints.

Kllrnohj: They aren't laptops per se, they are "portable computers". My chassis gets up to 165F + fans scream at 6200RPM, but it does the job at hand and does it well, so I'm a happy camper unless I'm dumb enough to set it anywhere...sensitive.

[edit]

I don't second the XPS. My friend with an XPS has had very poor customer service from Dell on the occasions when it needed repairs.
I have an XPS, and have used Dell for many years now, and I've always had great customer service from Dell. I'm quite satisfied with it.
merthsoft wrote:
I have an XPS, and have used Dell for many years now, and I've always had great customer service from Dell. I'm quite satisfied with it.
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

Elfprince, your friend is the first person I have ever heard to have a bad experience with dell support. For my Studio XPS they had a guy out in a few days to replace the whole screen just because I noticed a few spots with back light bleed. Dell support is even willing to ship you the parts if you just want to fix it yourself and have full service instructions for every machine so even when the warranty is out you can still easily get the job done.
HP makes decent laptops these days, they are actually a good choice. Dell's newer stuff is pretty nice as well tbh.

Personally, I would go with Asus. I've had two Asus laptops now, and I've loved them both. Something like this is pretty beastly: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220997 - fantastic price, too.

I cannot stress how absolutely *TERRIBLE* the MBP is. Extremely overpriced, very few features, and zero engineering - it is garbage. Very pretty, granted, but garbage.
I think that a 4 to $500 dell is sufficient for any need. Especially since you will probably want to buy one every 2 years or less. I know some very serious programmers that just use the cheap @#*& and have the same results if not better than most. I guess it depends on preference though.
basicman wrote:
I think that a 4 to $500 dell is sufficient for any need. Especially since you will probably want to buy one every 2 years or less.

No, it isn't.

Quote:
I know some very serious programmers that just use the cheap @#*& and have the same results if not better than most. I guess it depends on preference though.

No, you don't.
I see his point; if you're writing utilities, you don't by any means need a fast machine. Let's be careful to not confuse an inexpensive machine with a cheap machine: there are plenty of inexpensive machines that are not cheap (flimsy, glitchy, poor quality), just as there are plenty of cheap but expensive computers. The MBP springs to mind, for me. Very Happy
Okay, what do you guys think of Asus N73SV?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N73SV/

I can get it for REALLY cheap from importer, and I think it has good specs too.
Would you get it with the i3, i5, or i7 CPU (I hope the latter) and with how much RAM?
I second Kerm's question. But over all it doesn't look like a terrible laptop.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours