» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeah, my only complaint about 256x256 is that it really needs an auto-sloping mod to go with it. That much detail on blocks just looks wrong, IMO.

PS anyone feel free to steal that idea Razz
willrandship wrote:
Yeah, my only complaint about 256x256 is that it really needs an auto-sloping mod to go with it. That much detail on blocks just looks wrong, IMO.

PS anyone feel free to steal that idea Razz
By auto-sloping mod, you mean something that would do Gaussian smoothing to make the map less blocky? That would be very cool, but stupendously resource-intensive.
I was thinking something much simpler, that a block would only rely on the blocks directly surrounding it. an example: (G=gravel, D=Dirt)

Code:

GG   
  GGGG 
  GGGGG
 GGGGGG
DDDDDDDDDDDD

Would become

Code:

/\
  /GG\
  GGGG\
 /GGGGG
DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Where / and \ are sloped gravel blocks, having determined that the block above them is empty, as well as the block to their left, forward and backward, resulting in it sloping up to the block on its right, and down to the forward, backward, and left blocks. Not so resource intensive as a real smoother, about on par with, say, bettergrass, IMO.
I think that would work on a rendering level, but would have no collision(everything still needs to be processed as voxels)
I think you could do it, by using the same collision method as the stairs (which essentially act as slopes), but I don't think that it's necessary, anyways. just having the slopes at all would be awesome enough.
willrandship wrote:
I think you could do it, by using the same collision method as the stairs (which essentially act as slopes), but I don't think that it's necessary, anyways. just having the slopes at all would be awesome enough.
Actually, if you check carefully, stairs act like their shape. But regardless, slope collisions aren't terribly challenging.
Too much free time with signs, lol.

First and second.

Someone recently removed their house from the older area of the server. So out of boredom. I decided to make some signs advertising the space being open. Smile

my doggy, as seen through a pumpkin head Very Happy
What's with the sign thing in the upper-left? Bsparks, that takes some solid dedication. Very Happy A sneak preview:

The sign thing is a quote from castlevania, is it not? And I assume that's his Pumpkin head internal, just like the Breathing Apparatus mod.

Ooh! I like the looks of that! By the way, have you heard of the Zeppelin mod? It makes any building you make into an Airship! Up to 1024 blocks!
Kerm, it's all good. My other big project besides a 1000 meter long tunnel of amazing boredom ( basically just to, quite literally, get out of town ) is a large floating island/asteroid field area.

Fun bit, on the Normal view distance, you'd be hard pressed to see across even the shortest distance across. Sadly though, it was done with VoxelSniper, and done in about an hour. Smile
yes, willrandship is right, it looks like that when I wear a pumpkin

and yes, it was quite the horrible night to have a curse. A curse of zombies, skeletons, and exploding green things.

So I can’t fix the shadows caused by the ( now present ) islands. And if I get rid of the bedrock down there, it’ll come back when someone falls. So I went with light blue wool ontop of the bedrock, to simulate sky. Not a bad match either. I also still need to figure out how to fix the anti aliasing issues I have. That wool ( and the bedrock before it ) looks abysmal.
I blame Minecraft. Sad Can you use your graphics card's setting to force 2x or 4x AA for Minecraft? I did so for UT2004, which doesn't natively support antialiasing, and it makes a world of difference.
I can see, I heard of people doing so with nvidia chipsets ( which I have ) on Windows boxen, maybe I can on an OS X boxen.
CDI wrote:
I can see, I heard of people doing so with nvidia chipsets ( which I have ) on Windows boxen, maybe I can on an OS X boxen.
Do you have some sort of control panel for your NVidia chipset? Generally the manufacturer's control panel has a programs tab where you can set specific preferences on a per-application basis (for fullscreen applications).
KermMartian wrote:
CDI wrote:
Do you have some sort of control panel for your NVidia chipset? Generally the manufacturer's control panel has a programs tab where you can set specific preferences on a per-application basis (for fullscreen applications).

I don't, maybe I'll poke around their website and some forums later to see what I can dig up.
Linux does, for the record, and you can force such things.
Last night I had some time practically to myself on evocat (only 2 people on, and the other person was never seen/heard), so I decided to get a leg up on Louisville. Look at them from bottom right, moving to the left, then up and start on the right.

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z323/7Beta7/Minecraft/

Not going to mess with each individual image - you can hop to photobucket and look at them yourself. Razz

*Edit* I dropped down some random hole and ended up in their inner chest room area, where I got that stuff. I don't know where it was though Sad The next time I can get on without any Louisville-ians being on, I will try to find it again, as well as take more screenshots of the updated buildings. We need to get people to /sethome in various structures (once we break in) so when we assault we can take them on no matter where they go. Resource-wise, most chests are covered and thus not much loot is to be had. However, killing them should suffice as tasteful revenge Smile
Nice job grabbing those, good to see what we're up against. Much less impressive than expected for their 100-odd plots.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 19
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours