Many of you may remember the game Reign of Legends III -- the masterpiece of BASIC programming and calculator RPGs in general. Many, including myself, claim it to be one of the most important and overall best games in calculator gaming history. We can all thank Kevin "DJ Omnimaga" Ouellet greatly for This game, which changed the community for years to come. It was one of the longest calculator RPGs in history, being the longest for the 84+ (16 hours of gameplay, not-including loading times). It also had beautiful monochrome graphics, a Final Fantasy++ touch to it, and even an hour total of in-game movies!

However, the newer generation of calculator gamers unfortunately don't know about this awesome RPG, and therefore it isn't as popular as it once was. This is a shame, since it was very well done, and extremely fun.

So, I come with a proposal with a new project for myself: a total remake of this wonderful classic for the fx CG-10/20 Prizm platform, made in C with the GCC package and using all original sprites and graphics (as request by DJ, but I was already gonna do all my own stuff, I would find it shameful to break the spirit of originality that DJ showed with his original carnation). Here is a screenshot from the original, and a mock up I made in ~20 minutes in MS paint (I didn't put in all the enemies and players in yet, since those are much harder and more time consuming to make, and this is just a mock up for now):

Original:

Mock-up:

The new reboot will include everything from the old game remastered for SNES-quality graphics, plus possibly a few new sidequests and minigames! Stay Tuned for more as I progress with this!

~Ashbad
Those are some pretty epic graphics in that screenshot. Can't wait to see how this turns out Very Happy
That's an awesome mockup, Ashbad! I hope that you're able to make the real thing look that good, and I definitely hope I'll be able to contribute my expertise to the project somehow. Keep up the great work!
Well, I'm now up to ~50 20x20 tiles, and I got all the grass, dirt, and mossy dirt (cave floor) tiles done for now. Next is Water tiles and then rocks and such. But, I also started on dungeon tiles, so here's a very quick mockup of part of the Neomaga chamber in 2417 AD, using a few tiles I made pretty close to the original design:

Well, today I was working on writing some actual code for ROL:AT, starting with the battle system. I plan on finishing the battle system completely before going onto other things (though I'll call it complete enough to move on temporarily once I have a completed bestiary minus finalized sprites and a flawless fighting system). I really haven't ever coded for real in C before today (I messed around with custom routines, but those were just kind tweaked from other things). Here's all of the code so far, in .zip format, along with the tiles so far and a few other things. On the side, how is my C programming so far? Please post any ideas and criticisms, since I'm sure there's a lot for me to still learn.

DOWNLOAD FILE (safe)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours