After a request on Omnimaga, I've begun work on a Linux version of my Post Notifier application, and this time around, I'm supporting Cemetech notifications. If you haven't heard of it before, this sits in your tray (or whatever your distro calls it) and watches the feed coming from Omnimaga and Cemetech of new posts (you can (en/dis)able either of these sites). Here's what the Windows (Omnimaga-only) version looks like:

This version will only support Linux, but in time I'll make it for Windows and Mac as well.
Why not allow users to submit RSS feeds for whatever forums they like?
elfprince13 wrote:
Why not allow users to submit RSS feeds for whatever forums they like?
Definitely seconded. I see no reason why your Post Notifier (like my FeedScreamer) need not support any number and variety of RSS feeds.
Because that is a bit more complex than just doing it for one or two forums. Omnimaga, for instance, doesn't have an RSS feed, but just raw XML in their own format. Same goes for UnitedTI.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Because that is a bit more complex than just doing it for one or two forums. Omnimaga, for instance, doesn't have an RSS feed, but just raw XML in their own format. Same goes for UnitedTI.
But if you made it support whatever unusual formats that non-standard places like Omnimaga and UTI support, plus normal RSS feeds for Cemetech and then most other sites and news sources out there, I feel it would be a much more powerful tool.
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
But if you made it support whatever unusual formats that non-standard places like Omnimaga and UTI support, plus normal RSS feeds for Cemetech and then most other sites and news sources out there, I feel it would be a much more powerful tool.

Be that as it may, there are plenty of tools out there that do just that. This one is much more specifically targeted. I don't want to write a generic RSS feed watcher, I want to write a TI community forum notifier.
That's fair and makes sense. So how's the project going?
Quite well, actually. I've gotten notifications working for Omnimaga, I'm about to add Cemetech, and I need to add a settings dialog and some other options.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Quite well, actually. I've gotten notifications working for Omnimaga, I'm about to add Cemetech, and I need to add a settings dialog and some other options.
Sounds great. Assuming that the final version is a decent size, you should upload it to the Cemetech Archives when you're done. Will you let people turn each of the individual sites on and off?
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
Sounds great. Assuming that the final version is a decent size, you should upload it to the Cemetech Archives when you're done. Will you let people turn each of the individual sites on and off?

I will.
Regarding tifreak's suggestion about changing the icon after a certain number of minutes, is it worth making that settable as well? Or not really?
I'm not sure why that would actually matter to anyone. If you can present a good argument for doing so, I'll make it happen.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I'm not sure why that would actually matter to anyone. If you can present a good argument for doing so, I'll make it happen.
Nah, I see no point. Do you already have the icon that you need for Cemetech, or do you still need that?
I just used http://www.cemetech.net/favicon.ico, but it's ugly (too big) on the tray, if you'd like to propose another.

Edit by Merth: .ico files don't work in img tags, so i changed them to url.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I just used [img]http://www.cemetech.net/favicon.ico[/img], but it's ugly (too big) on the tray, if you'd like to propose another.
If you scale it down to 50% size, the way most browsers do, how does it look?
That one looks much better. I do still need a bigger one, say, 64x64 for the notification dialog.
SirCmpwn wrote:
That one looks much better. I do still need a bigger one, say, 64x64 for the notification dialog.
How does this do you for? It has a transparent background for convenience.

That one looks pretty good, I can use it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours