Ok, the install instructions for TiLP are not very well-done! It is a little confusing, and at points it assumes that you have experience compiling things. Install instructions need a re-do!!!
Compiling things is very easy. Just cd to the directory where the source is in, run ./configure, make, and make install.
Right, the install instructions page is so long. A user has no clue where to start
How about telling us on which platform you're trying to compile TILP ? Wink
Don't forget, though, that TiLP is in the Ubuntu and the Fedora (I'm sure more, but those are the ones I know for certain) repos. For instance, in Ubuntu, you can just do "sudo apt-get install tilp2" and it will install it for you, and then just run "sudo tilp" to start the program. (You have to run it as the superuser because it doesn't like playing with USB ports otherwise).
_player1537 wrote:
Don't forget, though, that TiLP is in the Ubuntu and the Fedora (I'm sure more, but those are the ones I know for certain) repos. For instance, in Ubuntu, you can just do "sudo apt-get install tilp2" and it will install it for you, and then just run "sudo tilp" to start the program. (You have to run it as the superuser because it doesn't like playing with USB ports otherwise).
The version in the repositories is outdated.
Outdated. But it works.
Nope, using distro packages is no good, unless you're using Arch, because distro packages are outdated (more bugs and fewer features) Wink
And the packages in Debian derivatives are incomplete (no udev configuration), which requires users to perform that step themselves or run TILP as root.

TI_Coder: if you're trying to compile for Linux, then I'll point you to the Linux page of the official site: http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp/linux.html .
It has a link to a script I made more than a year and a half ago, which worked well for dozens of people - provided they followed the instructions, of course Wink
I think the whole "following the instructions" thing might be the problem here, considering how many times I had to tell TI_Coder to read the Doors CS SDK's PDF readme in vain yesterday when he kept asking questions I answered in the PDF. :/
I've already got it compiled. That's not the problem. I'm just glad I remembered "sudo apt-get install tilp2". I'm just saying that the instructions should be laid out a little better
Wait, you compiled it, or you apt-get install'd it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours