See topic title. If you can kill the LCD with it, what is the use of a Test mode, and why was it called "test mode"?
It's probably used for automated testing of the driver before it leaves the factory. They can instrument the die with a bed of nails, then command the device to enter test mode to exercise all the outputs to their rated limits, flushing out any manufacturing defects before even splitting up the wafer.

Just my guess.
I've always wondered, has anyone ever actually proven that the LCD can be damaged this way? Or is it just something people assume can happen.
Yup it is proven.
aeTIos wrote:
Yup it is proven.
[citation needed]

I recall seeing a video a while ago in which the liquid crystal had been 'liberated' from the pixels on an 83+ and merely sloshed around the LCD when it was tilted, allegedly from leaving it in test mode. That seems plausible if we assume the LCD driver is driving the rows unusually high.

If anybody remembers who made that video or even where we could find it again, that would be great.
i'd be willing to test it out on a spare, partially-broken calc if you guys really want to know.
how is it initiated?
initiate it by doing

Code:

(header here)
ld a,($1C)
out ($10),a
ret

or if you don't want to assemble create a program with this:

Code:

AsmPrgm
3E1CD310C9

This will turn test mode on. Be sure to keep your fingers close to the batteries if you don't want to damage your screen too badly.
Can't you just do it from the MODE-ALPHA-S self-test? Or does that not engage the LCD test mode at any point?
Nope, afaik not. And that does wipe the whole memory.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours