Since a lot of college students rely on energy drinks to keep their minds sharp, I guess I would like to know some personal experience on the matter.

First of all, I have hypothyroidism. I have to take a synthetic hormone to supplement my own lack of thyroid function. One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (even while treated) is mild to chronic fatigue. This generally persists regardless of your diet, exercise regimen, or other factors you try to change. I've suffered with it for years.

About a year ago, I figured I would try energy drinks to supplement energy. I've tried both Monster and Red Bull. In either case, it was always the tall cans. Since a can a day didn't have any noticeable affect, I tried 2, then 3. 3 cans a day seemed to be just enough to bring me up to normal energy levels. (that is, compared to how I felt before the onset of hypothyroidism and associated fatigue) I figured that consuming this much caffeine would be perfectly fine, since it didn't cause any nervousness. Unfortunately, I started having panic attacks at some point, and under the doctor's advisement, had to cut caffeine from my diet.

What I'm wondering is: How do energy drinks affect you? (based on how many you consume per day) How does a single can make you feel? How about two cans? Three? Do you think there is a general limit most people should observe? Was I perhaps going overboard?

I ask because I'm considering using large amounts of caffeine again. I can't handle the chronic fatigue. Since I recently started drinking a coffee-based drink, (which has about as much caffeine as 3 cups of coffee) I feel a bit more able to handle everyday tasks. Before this, I was sometimes so fatigued that I couldn't will myself to stand, or even lift my arm.
I drink a lot of soda, but not energy drinks. I'm a little tired sometimes, considering I barely sleep (no more than 3 hours a night, generally). I've never liked the taste of energy drinks, or felt the effects from them.
I drank about one cup of tea a morning when in school, but quit after I graduated. It's an addictive substance and even getting rid of that one-cup-a-day habit took a few weeks to get over the fatigue. Caffeine doesn't seem like the solution, because you'll simply grow tolerant of it.

Regardless, this is NOT the proper place to be asking about medical advice. Only a doctor or other health care professional is qualified to address your specific medical needs.
Woah, I would NEVER drink Energy Drinks, especially 3 per day. the stuff that is in them Zera probably would cause a panic attack and such because of all that sugar/caffeine Shock

As for me, I drink half a can of no-caffein soda and a cup of coffe everyday. I drink said coffee because I used to be falling asleep in science (first period at school) and it was lowering my grades, I started drinking coffe and next thing I know I am wide awake and able to comprehend everything said in that class Very Happy I has a 94 average in it now
I am strongly against energy drinks (and also, as nikky pointed out correctly, IANAD [doctor]). I sadly was forced to start drinking coffee in freshman year of college after a few nights of 1.5hrs of sleep to finish Digital Logic Design projects, and I now drink two cups of coffee a day. I also at some point in my junior or senior year started drinking a 20oz coca cola in the evenings, but I've since kicked that habit and just stick with my two cups of coffee.
I don't drink energy drinks(except Gatorade every once in a while), but a friend of mine drank 6 monsters at a concert once and nearly died. How's that for an experience?
For me i don't drink any thing other than soda if i'm tired i've just learned to suck it up.

As for caffeine i probably get a good amount in my diet and now a decent amount doesn't do any thing for me any more it takes so much more than it used to to get a energy spike from it.
I don't drink any caffeine. Even on a morning like this where I got home from work at midnight (commonplace for me) and get up for work at 6:30 to start work at 8. Though today I start at 10, so I got up at 8.

I don't do anything that warrants few hours of sleep. Today I'll go to sleep around 11 or 12pm instead of 2 or three 3am and wake up at my regular time of noon or so.
DShiznit wrote:
I don't drink energy drinks(except Gatorade every once in a while)
Fortunately for you, Gatorade isn't a traditional energy drink. It's a way to rehydrate, not a way to stay awake.
comicIDIOT wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
I don't drink energy drinks(except Gatorade every once in a while)
Fortunately for you, Gatorade isn't a traditional energy drink. It's a way to rehydrate, not a way to stay awake.

That's what I figured too. I used to drink it a lot for my heart health actually(I have low sodium and hypertension) but not as much recently.
I really hate energy drinks and soda, I've always found fruit juice or water to be more refreshing.
I agree that water is definitely more refreshing. Smile I'll drink Gatorade if I'm out and about and have a serious potential of getting dehydrated and electrolytically-unbalanced from drinking a lot of water to counter dehydration, but I'm not too fond of the stuff.
gatorade is strange to drink, it tastes a bit bland/bad at first, but when you stop, all of a sudden you want more x.x

and I only drink one cup of coffe, other than that it is juice and the halfcan of soda... water is bland, but awesome
qazz42 wrote:
gatorade is strange to drink, it tastes a bit bland/bad at first, but when you stop, all of a sudden you want more x.x
Really? I've never experienced any sort of specific thirst for gatorade other than knowing that it's not a bad idea to intersperse it among water if I'm drinking a lot of water.

Quote:
and I only drink one cup of coffe, other than that it is juice and the halfcan of soda... water is bland, but awesome
I'm also not a huge juice fan, although I do love apple cider.
I tried to go without caffeine today, but I couldn't stand it. I would be walking back and forth, and barely even remember getting up to do so in the first place. It's like being in a dream. After having a caffeinated soft-drink, I felt a bit better.
Let's see here I drink a pot of coffee a day along with about five cans of soda every day. As far as energy drinks go I used to drink two a day but they made my heart race so I stopped drinking them. I also at one point bought a bottle of caffeine pills and gave those up real fast as well. As far as caffeinated gum goes I bought one pack and hated the flavor so I no longer chew it.
Quote:
Really? I've never experienced any sort of specific thirst for gatorade other than knowing that it's not a bad idea to intersperse it among water if I'm drinking a lot of water.

really? You never have taken a sip of Gatorade, put down the bottle, and then have the taste in your mouth that compels you to drink more? That always happens with me when I drink Gatorade

Quote:
I'm also not a huge juice fan, although I do love apple cider.

:O
I have so much over-abounding energy as it is. I once drank some coffee (a few sips), and couldn't go to sleep for that night. I have creepy amounts of energy. If any of you met me in real life, and saw me while I was excited, you would be eerily freaked out...

So yeah, I only drink soda, and gatorade, but nothing with full caffeine like coffee. I can't even drink mountain dew that often.
you know, I once did have 2 cups of coffee, but I just had 1-coffee energy for that day... so it was a waste of beans

funny how that works out..
I used to be very energetic (although not hyper), but college beat that out of me. I used to constantly smile, too, but life has beaten that out of me as well. :/ lafferjm, that's unhealthy amounts of caffeine, you should consider cutting back a bit. Shock
KermMartian wrote:
I used to be very energetic (although not hyper), but college beat that out of me. I used to constantly smile, too, but life has beaten that out of me as well. :/ lafferjm, that's unhealthy amounts of caffeine, you should consider cutting back a bit. Shock

aww, perhaps you can start smiling again when you troubles are over Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours