Hello,
For a while now, I've been working on porting the flash game Motherload to the calculator using Axe. It is still a WIP, but right now I have some pretty interesting features:
*An enormous, randomly generated map: 44x666, which totals more than 29,000 tiles.
*4 level grayscale with smooth scrolling
*A basic digging mechanic
*Physics simulation with the map

The most recent addition was the very pretty HUD, which took me some time to make. I'm very satisfied with the result. In addition, the smooth scrolling map worked out very well, I'm surprised I was able to get such a large map working, let alone in 4 levels of grayscale with smooth scroll.
I also spent quite a lot of time fine-tuning the quality of grayscale, so I think it looks pretty good on-calc (though the emulator did add some beauty).

Next on my to-do list is add actual content to the HUD, instead of static numbers. The hardest part of this will be fuel, because I have to rotate the line properly. I also need to add the buildings to the top, which are already sprited, but will be difficult to add, as they are stored differently than the map below them. I also need to fix the digging mechanic, which is a very basic one (you can see the problems when digging downwards and leftwards). I'm not sure the order in which I finish these tasks, but the surface buildings will probably be last.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like at the moment.

And an older demo: (Download)
The demo here is not the latest version, and it will not work on a TI-83+ BE.

I'd love to hear your feedback on this!
It looks awesome, I just guess the top menu should be smaller and let us view more of the screen. Maybe remove the word 'Motherload' and instead of an analog thingie, have a horizontal bar.
Thanks!
I've actually been working on some alternate, smaller HUDs. I like the analog bit, though.
Here's the most promising alternate:

This would allow you to see one more row of tiles at a time.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Thanks!
I've actually been working on some alternate, smaller HUDs. I like the analog bit, though.
Here's the most promising alternate:

This would allow you to see one more row of tiles at a time.

I think the analog takes too long to read Wink
It is nice, but horizontal bars would be better IMO.
ScoutDavid wrote:

Fair enough, but I think that a quick little glance at the level of the gauge wouldn't be an issue, and without the analog, the HUD would look pretty bland. I'll stick with analog.
SirCmpwn wrote:
ScoutDavid wrote:

Fair enough, but I think that a quick little glance at the level of the gauge wouldn't be an issue
Agreed. The analog meter is clear and concise. It's similar to looking at the gas gauge in a vehicle, which is quite intuitive these days. Any gauge with F & E in a vehicle, and anyone will think it's fuel level immediately.

And it does add some flair to the HUD, ties the game below to the information above.
Here's the new version. It's 8 pixels shorter (meaning you get an extra row of map space), and still has the analog fuel gauge, because I like it.
Do you guys like this one better?
I think it looks good, but I wonder if you could manage another row still if you condensed "Hull Integrity" and "CargoHold" on to one line?
Runner112 and I are working on a version that takes up two rows, with part of it sticking out.
Well I can't wait to see what you come up with, it looks great so far!
Nice-looking grayscale, best of luck, and of course please give us the daily play-by-play. What's with the background light gray arrow on the fuel gauge?
KermMartian, it is supposed to be a crack on the fuel gauge.
Thanks to Runer112 for the help getting the fuel gauge to stick out properly! This is the final version of the HUD.
That makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I was about to ask if this was indeed an Axe game, but the first post clarifies that.
KermMartian wrote:
That makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I was about to ask if this was indeed an Axe game, but the first post clarifies that.

I changed it so that the crack doesn't touch the middle of the dial, and it's more obvious it is not functional.

Thoughts on the final version of the HUD, anyone?
I think it's fair enough; I have no major objections. My only concern would be making sure the grayscale looks as smooth oncalc as it does in that screenshot.
KermMartian wrote:
My only concern would be making sure the grayscale looks as smooth oncalc as it does in that screenshot.

It looks quite good on-calc, if you ask me. It looks a little worse when you scroll, but other than that, it looks excellent.
SirCmpwn wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
My only concern would be making sure the grayscale looks as smooth oncalc as it does in that screenshot.

It looks quite good on-calc, if you ask me. It looks a little worse when you scroll, but other than that, it looks excellent.
Is that lag when you're digging rightwards in the screenshot graphics lag, processing lag, both, or neither?
KermMartian wrote:
Is that lag when you're digging rightwards in the screenshot graphics lag, processing lag, both, or neither?

I'm not sure what you mean, but it doesn't entirely matter, considering that I will be completely overhauling the digging mechanic, and that will not be an issue.
Wait, but you do agree that it lags, then?
I do agree. It gets about two thirds of the original speed when scrolling.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours