Its going to have to be pretty small, cause we cant have a server room connect to the ends of our calculators just to connect to the hot spots.

If we use a graph link cable and shorten it and then keep the hardware piece and the calculator end and we could just modify the comp end and just make it a pretty compact wireless link cable.

The computer end would just need the transmitter connected to it, and if we did it right we could actually wirelessly control the server computer by connecting to the computer by the dry usb computer end.

Ex.
Calc end:
]--=--[Antenea]

Comp end:
]
]----[Antenea]

So really the hardware part, that translates all the stuff for the comp to calc, will be on the calc end. Unlelss we want to go extremely compact, in which case we would put the hardware section on the comp side. Then we would just have the cord and antenea on the calc end. Notice that this is all using the graph link cable, but I think its the best Idea to use it just incase TI does'nt find out, Laughing . Case it'll be already configured and we wont have to create are own translator and stuff. So, like, I think that would be the best thing. What do you all think?

-Swivel
swivelgames wrote:
Its going to have to be pretty small, cause we cant have a server room connect to the ends of our calculators just to connect to the hot spots.

If we use a graph link cable and shorten it and then keep the hardware piece and the calculator end and we could just modify the comp end and just make it a pretty compact wireless link cable.

The computer end would just need the transmitter connected to it, and if we did it right we could actually wirelessly control the server computer by connecting to the computer by the dry usb computer end.

Ex.
Calc end:
]--=--[Antenea]

Comp end:
]
]----[Antenea]

So really the hardware part, that translates all the stuff for the comp to calc, will be on the calc end. Unlelss we want to go extremely compact, in which case we would put the hardware section on the comp side. Then we would just have the cord and antenea on the calc end. Notice that this is all using the graph link cable, but I think its the best Idea to use it just incase TI does'nt find out, Laughing . Case it'll be already configured and we wont have to create are own translator and stuff. So, like, I think that would be the best thing. What do you all think?

-Swivel

Actually, I'm talking about reprogramming an ordinary router to do the web clipping etc instead of a computer. This is completely feasible, we'd just need someone who can program C.
Well I am learning C, does that count? lol I can probably help with this once I get a little better. I most just know VB but I can learn C I have been wanting to. If I cant do it then I can ask my dad hes awsome at it. thats who I am think of learning it from. So your talking about using a router to do this?

2 questions

1) How are we going to get the program on the router?

2) How are we going to know if any of it works very well, if it does'nt have an interface that we can check things with?

Its a great idea but if you dont know those two things(you probably do, hey I mean its Kerm Martian, the founder of Doors CS, lol) I think we are kinda stuck in a ditch.

-Swivel
I know C as well, of couse. Smile
And yes, I know how to do both of those numbered bullet points.
Lol, ok cool. Are you just going to use the computer to view the routers stuff? You could probably just use the USB connection on the router to connect the computer to it right? just curious.

-Swivel
This is all just theoretical at this point though, there's no way I have time to do something this elaborate right now. Smile
If we can find a USB wireless internet device and a 8-5 pin adapter, that would save some effort.
Yah that would pretty much put us on our way. All we would need then is the router. Now, Kerm I can do alot of the stuff just as long as I can get some scimmies. If I can get those then i can probably look into making about of stuff like that. I am completely free excep................

Idea IDEA! Idea

All of a sudden I had the greatest idea(Maybe not the greatest). If we use a router to connect the calc to the net, what if we use wireless routers and get, like, a small belkin wireless router that can transmit to the other router, then we just rig the mini wireless up so it can work on the calc and then all we'de need is some hot spots.

Click the images to goto the info page for 'em.
Equipment:
Calc side:

or

or

or(What I proposed earlier)

Any many others like these HERE.

Internet Connector Side:

(Best one I think /\)
andAny many others like this HERE.

Suppose its a possibility?

-Swivel
Dude dude dude, that's cool, but you're missing the most important point here. [b]TI calculators cannot directly interface wiFi.[b] That's right. Even the TI-84's, which have the advantage of a USB port, require a huge amount of driver software just to make the thing operational. The TI-83+s would need an entire set of hardware designed to parse USB signals, act as a virtual root hub, and retransmit the divided data bitwise to the calc, then do the whole thing in reverse to transmit.
KermMartian wrote:
Dude dude dude, that's cool, but you're missing the most important point here. [b]TI calculators cannot directly interface wiFi.[b]

I dont mean DIRECTLY or course almost anything has to have something to convert it.

So your basicly saying that its im possible to have a wireless connection? How is that possible? So how would it work if you have a wireless router that wirelessly connects the computer to the internet, how could I send TI data to the internet and back if I had a wireless router?

All you need to do is a little work on it, maybe even just put the converter (on the silver link cable) and attach an antenea type device to send it.

Please explain what you mean. Because if non of this is possible then why are we even talking about it?

-Swivel
Electronic protocols are far more complicated than just connecting a wireless adapter to the link port. With gCn as I currently have it planned, I have purposely limited the work the calc needs to do by only making one wireless network available at once. For regular wiFi, the calc needs to maintain a connection over a network and maintain its SID over a far faster data rate than the calculator can handle. This is why I'm talking about having a completely separate piece of hardware to handle all the interface stuff for the calculator, and endeavor which would take a good deal of programming and hardware design.
I see. So its going to be kinda a direct connect type thing right? We cant make it wireless then? Unless theres some kinda wireless other than Wifi right, lol, that'll be the day.

-Swivel
There's plenty of wireless other than wifi, which is what I will be using. Some kind of custom 533MHz transciever with dual-channel, full-duplex transmission.
I can search for something like that, that can give us a little push into what we are trying to do. a little clueless but are all Wireless Routers and things like that(pertaining to internet and the comp) WiFi? I know there are more than WiFi but not many things dont have Wifi right?

-Swivel
Well, I need schematics for a 2-channel 533MHz RF circuit. See if you can find that. Smile
I think making calcs able to access commercial internet would be tough. The gCn system with only one network would be easier, maybe even more so than using hardware that interprets signals.
Exactly, that's what I was saying. Glad we agree. Smile
Some scimmies I found are right Here.

But I saw nothing about 533MHz but this is an RF Scimmy. Hope you find it useful.

I'll keep looking.

-Swivel

*EDIT* I found a site that has scimmies but did'nt find any, you can look around, they have some ok stuff HERE
Cool cool, also check out this:
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/circuitsrf.htm
Surprised Awsome! There is a God Rolling Eyes . lol.

-Swivel

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours