I'm just curious. Our community here on Cemetech is quite diverse, with people coming from all over the planet being on here. Just wondering what you all do to bring in money of some kind (to those that do) to help pay bills, buy yourselves toys or otherwise.

Myself:

My main focus in life was as an Auto technician. Sadly, our area has been hit with a decline in people needing repairs, because a great many people jumped on the refund bit for getting a new car.

I also tow cars, which sort of goes along with being the Auto Tech.

After business died down drastically and it was clear that things weren't going to pick up too much (saw this coming 3ish years ago, so I managed to grab 2 small, simple routes at that time) And now I deliver to 256 people, plus 7 stores.

On the side from that, I collect aluminum cans, strip junk cars down and haul them in, and work on computers for a few people as they have the need of my services.

So, what do you all do? Smile
I write programs that do various things for various people. Legality is often questionable but I ask no questions.

I do local computer work and networking, aswell as network security audits for larger businesses down the mountain.

Then I spend the rest of my time letting the government give me SSI because well, they felt I was disabled
I am a painter. I paint houses inside and out. I used to be a mechanic, I have done plant work, and much more. I wish I was making a living programming, but that seems pretty unrealistic at the moment. However, if the job outlook changes I may change my major when I go for my masters. I wish I got paid for TI games. I'd have hundreds of them at the least. Smile Maybe I wouldn't be in poverty. I would think that it would be hard for me to host my own site and accept contributions or get sponsored. I wish I could, I could do something I love everyday then. That would be awesome.
I research things like route planning on graph-theoretic Voronoi diagram representations of geographic networks, self-assembling DNA nanostructures, and mathematical crystallography. I also freelance some web design/software development, general computer repair, and T.A. for several computer science classes.
I'm a professional software engineer.
merthsoft wrote:
I'm a professional software engineer.

Last night BrandonW and I decided that this translates to "I'm a C# weeny" :p
Except that's also what BrandonW is, so I think your translation is off Wink
I'm an Electronics Employee at Target. But I'm also trained around the store including Sales Floor, Cashier and Clothing. I'm trying to become trained as a Market/Grocery Employee and Guest Services (Returns).

I'm getting good hours but the more places I'm trained the more places I can work if I ever need to pick up extra hours.
merthsoft wrote:
Except that's also what BrandonW is, so I think your translation is off Wink

The merthese dialect is slightly different from brandonese, which is why we had to work to translate it. Wink
I don't have a job.
souvik1997 wrote:
I don't have a job.

This. Although I probably should get one `-`
elfprince13 wrote:

[The merthese dialect is slightly different from brandonese, which is why we had to work to translate it. Wink

Code:

:Lbl B
:?->Ans
:Text (2,1,"This is why I speak basic man
:If You=have to translate this message
:Then
:If Ans=0:Then:Text(2,1,"PURE BASIC
:Goto Basicman:End
:If Ans=1:Goto merthese
:If Ans=2:Goto Brandonese
:Goto B
/me hits basicman on the head with a hammer for using labels. Wink
I'm a lab assistant in the computer science labs on campus and I work as a desk assistant in the communication and theatre department office. I also great home for discrete math (CSCI 140). I had a nice gig programming iphone apps but the grant ran out. Now I'm in my last semester and applying for real jobs. The last interview I was at was for mobile development, so I've got my fingers crossed for that one.
I did two summer REUs mostly for the experience, I did a summer internship at Bloomberg that was awesome, and now I'm in my first year as a PhD student studying computer science. Engineering and Computer Science PhD students generally both have their tuition paid and get a nice stipend, enough for food, rent, and a bit of saving. I'm also TAing a class, which is extra moolah, and I'll be continuing my research during the summer, which further increases my stipend.
I'm unemployed and will continue to be unemployed for a long while.
TsukasaZX wrote:
I'm unemployed and will continue to be unemployed for a long while.
Yeah, but you're in college, which is a fulltime job! Unfortunately, it doesn't pay very well, and for most people costs them significant dollars instead of the reverse. Sad
For a ridiculously low salary, I do research into CO2 Sorption*.

*Read: One of those vile undergrads Wink
Qwerty.55 wrote:
For a ridiculously low salary, I do research into CO2 Sorption*.

*Read: One of those vile undergrads Wink
Haha, there's no shame in that. Smile And what has your research yielded thus far?
That Aerogels break the second you look at them the wrong way...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours