Main

The [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(order_and_disorder)]Law of Entropy[/url] is one of those rare things both biologists and physicists can agree on. It's a widely accepted law of nature that the Universe as we know it is giving way to entropy. In other words (those of the prophet Douglas Adams), there is something "fundamentally wrong with the universe," and it's only getting worse.

Take my backpack as an example. Open it up, and the first thing you see is a yellowing conglomerate of papers from semesters past, a disarrayed tribute to all that it means to be a student. Push it to one side, and you notice that it's encased in what was once a white three-ring binder. This binder is in just as bad a condition as some of the most ancient of the papers it holds—the edges are worn, the seams are split, the rings are wrenched. You wonder how its owner ever got anythlng done, and that's what I wonder too.

Then you look further and notice that it's not the only binder in my backpack. Hidden below the outgrowths of notes and homework is another binder, also simple and white. But this one's different. All its sheets are neat and tidy, with not a single sheet sticking out in the wrong place. The binder itself is in perfect condition, as if it were bought yesterday. You pull out this mystery of a organizer to take a closer look, and what you see surprises you (or doesn't, if you know me well enough).

It's a calculator binder.

The first sheet of paper inside is a rough image of a calculator, with each key labeled with a number. This is followed by massive, 250-page tutorial on some obscure topic you don't understand or care for (how many trees did that kill?). The other three-hundred-odd pages are also tutorials and references of all sorts—spotlessly organized into categories, even with tables of contents in appropriate places.

What's going on here? Obviously, the guy who owns this backpack loves calculators. He loves them so much that he'd let his ordinary school binder fall into total disarray while keeping his precious calculator binder as clean as a chinny-chin-chin. And that brings me to my own law of entropy, one I based on my own personal experiences: that the rate of entropy, ∆S, is proportional to apathy.

You may notice something strange near the right side of the graph—why would ∆S suddenly change direction and even go negative? Why would that ever happen?

This is a phenomenon somewhat similar to the concept of a "Ballmer peak" in software production productivity. At an apathy level of a 434.233 arbitrary units and above, there is a sudden drop in entropy; to explain it, let's go back to my backpack, to the third binder inside. This one's a small one, with only one-inch rings. I use it solely for Health class because my teacher forces me to keep it separate, for good reason.

Now, think about this: Health is the one class I truly don't give a crap about. It's ridiculously easy to get an A in the class if you sit around and pretend to do homework of any sort. Following from the trend described above, you'd expect this particular binder to be hopelessly disorganized. A whirlwind of papers in the form of dog-eaten (-digested and -excreted) wood pulp comes to mind.

But no; this binder is actually more organized than that massive calculator binder you saw earlier! How can that be? Well, think about it: You're stuck in class, with nothing in front of you except for a Health binder. You can't access your iPod, your phone, not even your calculator. What do you do? Many students faced with absolute boredom actually start doing productive things, such as organizing. This explains why so many seemingly hard-working students fail at their classes. No, they're not really working that hard; they're just bored to death. And so it is for me. This is what I call the "Blake peak," named after a student from whom I've apparently stolen the binder I now use for Health.
Very interesting story and graph. George Carlin had a nice bit on Entropy, and how we all secretly want to see the world fall apart.
DShiznit wrote:
Very interesting story and graph. George Carlin had a nice bit on Entropy, and how we all secretly want to see the world fall apart.
You know, I think that's true. And I think that would go a long way towards explaining why given the anonymity of the internet, people tend to be far more destructive, insulting, and aggressive than they would dare to be in real life.

Deep Thought, great story. My pet peeve used to always be how my pages would slowly tear more and more in my binders as I carried them around until they would tear out. Then I needed to start using those little sticky rings on pages to keep them from tearing.
I no longer organize my binders, or even use them. A more relevant graph would be a multi-variate measure of the entropy of various locations within my room as the semester progresses.
elfprince13 wrote:
I no longer organize my binders, or even use them. A more relevant graph would be a multi-variate measure of the entropy of various locations within my room as the semester progresses.
I think that would be a set of monotonically-increasing traces along each of the multivariate axes, would it not?
KermMartian wrote:
I think that would be a set of monotonically-increasing traces along each of the multivariate axes, would it not?

If R is an n-dimensional vector, where n is the number of areas in my room to be measured, I think |R| would be monotonically increasing, but I'm not sure the traces along each axis would be.
all my personal papers are stored in a single, binder like product which i have been using actively for the past six years. this folder contains several, colour coded subfolders, in which i store important things like source code printouts for work on the go, portraits of my friends, and poetry/short stories, and a large depository in the front for everything else.

i'm fairly certain that this pile still has some papers from three semesters ago.
My binder is a mess of all my homework over the past semester.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

If R is an n-dimensional vector, where n is the number of areas in my room to be measured, I think |R| would be monotonically increasing, but I'm not sure the traces along each axis would be.
Ah, so the worst areas of entropy migrate around your room over the course of the semester? Fastinating, fascinating. Souvik, only over the past semester? Shmibs, awesome, sounds like you're more organized than most.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, so the worst areas of entropy migrate around your room over the course of the semester? Fastinating, fascinating.

Right now, for example, there is a pathway from my door to my bed, but no way to open the door of the minifridge.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours