DShiznit wrote:
Sounds good. Will the demo editor come with it's own hardware requirements or will it scale to whatever Freebuild can use?

It's just a script application running on top of FreeBuild, so it's not really going to be more demanding than the game itself.
Cool. One more thing- are constructor DIFs still compatible?
DShiznit wrote:
Cool. One more thing- are constructor DIFs still compatible?

I think so, but I haven't tried it yet. You may want to avoid using Constructor for future art assets, and go the Collada route instead (probably via Blender, Sketchup, or Milkshape).
I like my brush modeling but ok.
DShiznit wrote:
I like my brush modeling but ok.

I love brush modeling too, but most of the focus at GarageGames has been on support for mesh modeling over BSPs in buildings. You may want to give Sketchup a try though - it's pretty friendly and intuitive.
Oh I will. But I already have that cool 50s sci-fi map in Constructor and I started that church not too long ago.
Oh noes, KermCave is going to need a makeover! Sad I hope that there are some decent conversion tools out there.
If I'm understanding elfprince correctly the old maps will still work, its just that the newer tools will mean new maps will be made differently.
KermMartian wrote:
Oh noes, KermCave is going to need a makeover! Sad I hope that there are some decent conversion tools out there.

DIFs should still work, they are just no longer the art asset of choice.
Since it's on T3D, that already seems to be an accomplishment. But can you show us any pictures yet, or do we have to wait?
N wrote:
Since it's on T3D, that already seems to be an accomplishment. But can you show us any pictures yet, or do we have to wait?

I am still getting some stuff in place, but pictures (hopefully) soon, depending on how much time I have between school, 2 jobs, and a girlfriend.
Oh yes. Whatever you do, ALWAYS focus on your girlfriend first. Kier made the mistake of putting too much time into his computer and lost his last one. He's in a good relationship now, but still. Lesson learned.
If I remember correctly they said in a news update that they'd like to rip out the DIF support in a future update because they said they were unoptimized in some way.
Over my dead body. I have some cool sh!t in my DIF pipeline.
Jimmg wrote:
If I remember correctly they said in a news update that they'd like to rip out the DIF support in a future update because they said they were unoptimized in some way.
That's not false (on the unoptimized front), but that's no reason to rip out support completely. Sad
We abuse DIF objects for all sorts of things they weren't intended for - but the tradeoff they involve is increasing the total geometry of the object while managing to structure it in such a way that it is easy to select only the visible subset of the geometry to be rendered.
I've recently been combining DIF buildings with DTS details, much like Valve has done for years. Would this not be an acceptable application of the format?
DShiznit wrote:
I've recently been combining DIF buildings with DTS details, much like Valve has done for years. Would this not be an acceptable application of the format?

What it's not really intended for is scattered models in an outdoor environment instead of sprawling indoor complexes. It still works fine, but normal old mesh models work just as well if you don't need the benefits of the BSP.

[edit]
Also, T3D 1.1 Beta 3 should support the export of DIF interiors to Collada. Hopefully everyone is relieved by this (looks at Kerm + DShiznit). (http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/93301/3#comment-637253)
Matt Fairfax wrote:
Sorin,
Interiors/DIFs can only be created in a custom CSG editor like Constructor, Hammer, or Quark and must be built out of closed, convex, volumes which is extremely limiting for most modern game development.

There currently isn't a good way to move your Interior/DIF geometry from one of the CSG editors into a more general 3D modeling application like 3D Studio Max, Maya, XSI, Houdini, Blender, Gamespace, Milkshape, etc. There are a few applications/plugins that attempt to help with this conversion (usually converting from a .map format) but most, if not all of them will lose your texturing info along the way and will also leave you with a mesh that you have to spend a lot of time optimizing (like removing hidden surfaces).

The Interiors->Collada export allows you to take an optimized version of the Interior (which is what gets generated during the Constructor and/or map2dif exporting process) and output that with all of the correct texturing info into a Collada file that you can import into pretty much all 3D modeling applications.

This will allow you to use that mesh as a general polysoup shape and to take full advantage of curves, higher polycounts, and non-convex, non-volumetric shapes.

When combined with the Portal and Zone level objects that will ship with Beta 3, this means that you can effectively move completely away from CSG geometry. For now those Portal and Zone objects will have to be hand placed by the artist in the World Editor to match the set up that was in the Interior file. At some point it may be possible to automate that part.
Oooh, that's awesome! And is Collada easier to work with than Constructor? If so, I might attempt something I've always wanted to do and build the rest of my apartment to turn KermCave into KermApt.
KermMartian wrote:
Oooh, that's awesome! And is Collada easier to work with than Constructor? If so, I might attempt something I've always wanted to do and build the rest of my apartment to turn KermCave into KermApt.

I don't think you'll have any difficulty finding an editor for Collada files.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours