DShiznit wrote:
Yes, but trying to develop on multiple platforms slows you down. It's best to start on the dominant platform, than port to others once everything works, so you aren't tracking down every problem three times.

a) I am developing on my dominant platform.
b) I promise you, having to regularly reboot into Windows and having to work with VS all the time would slow me down far more.
c) You don't understand how cross platform development works. 99% of the code I write is the same across platforms. Most of the bugs that show up on one platform but not another are because of varying degrees of pedantry and ambiguity in how they implement certain standard behaviors and reveal issues that when fixed tighten up the code base as a whole. The very rare exception are what I'm dealing with now which have to do with file naming schemes on different platforms. Windows retardedly uses case insensitive file names, has drive letters, and \ in paths, so this would have to be debugged either way I did it.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Yes, but trying to develop on multiple platforms slows you down. It's best to start on the dominant platform, than port to others once everything works, so you aren't tracking down every problem three times.

a) I am developing on my dominant platform.
b) I promise you, having to regularly reboot into Windows and having to work with VS all the time would slow me down far more.
c) You don't understand how cross platform development works. 99% of the code I write is the same across platforms. Most of the bugs that show up on one platform but not another are because of varying degrees of pedantry and ambiguity in how they implement certain standard behaviors and reveal issues that when fixed tighten up the code base as a whole. The very rare exception are what I'm dealing with now which have to do with file naming schemes on different platforms. Windows retardedly uses case insensitive file names, has drive letters, and \ in paths, so this would have to be debugged either way I did it.

Besides the fact that porting from Mac or Linux to Windows is often much easier than going the other way around due to cross platform libraries and API such as SDL and OpenGL being the standard. On Windows the "Standard" way of doing things is often very far from being cross platform.
Thats awesome that you have most of the bugs worked out, Elf. And yea, porting from *nix to Windows is much easier than the other way around with anything. Given that it's all contained within Torque that should minimize most of the problems, but there are always path name standards and whatnot. Thanks for cranking all that work out, elf. It's really awesome.
CyberPrime wrote:
Thats awesome that you have most of the bugs worked out, Elf. And yea, porting from *nix to Windows is much easier than the other way around with anything. Given that it's all contained within Torque that should minimize most of the problems, but there are always path name standards and whatnot. Thanks for cranking all that work out, elf. It's really awesome.

Thanks Cyber.

I'm running into one bizarre crash under windows, once I get that worked out (and make the basic animations for the new skeleton) I think I'll have it in a place where it is worthwhile to have scripters working, and I'll release the first T3D based demo.
After a marathon debugging session:

Turned into:

Whoa, fascinating texturing! Thanks for sharing.
How does a cube turn into a lego minifig? O_o
Lucas W wrote:

Magnets.
Lucas W wrote:

A frying pan, CAD software, and an injection molder...
Wow, that's awesome Elf. I am still completely unsure of what the before picture is of, but it looks like your making some great progress.
CyberPrime wrote:
Wow, that's awesome Elf. I am still completely unsure of what the before picture is of, but it looks like your making some great progress.

A bounding box textured like Gideon.
Ah, ok I see. How's it coming along? Any progress as of late?
elfprince13 wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:

A bounding box textured like Gideon.
Yay for bounding boxes! Can I cheat and use bounding boxes to create trains that stay on tracks yet? Or do I still have to do programmatically fun things to bind them?
KermMartian wrote:
Or do I still have to do programmatically fun things to bind them?

This. But I haven't even begun to touch the physics issues yet. Maybe you should divert some of your free time from Minecraft to engine dev Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Or do I still have to do programmatically fun things to bind them?

This. But I haven't even begun to touch the physics issues yet. Maybe you should divert some of your free time from Minecraft to engine dev Wink
I've pretty much diverted all my free time from Minecraft to Sandpaper, my "Guide", and my schoolwork. :/ Things are getting crazy on the work front.
KermMartian wrote:
I've pretty much diverted all my free time from Minecraft to Sandpaper, my "Guide", and my schoolwork. :/ Things are getting crazy on the work front.

Fair enough. Good luck with those.
*gasp*! I totally didn't forget to mention how I just got a license, like, half a second ago Very Happy
swivelgames wrote:
*gasp*! I totally didn't forget to mention how I just got a license, like, half a second ago Very Happy

Hey sup. Let's talk about

a) You learning C++
b) Setting you up with SVN access.
So, how's things going with TBG/Freebuild?
Lucas W wrote:
So, how's things going with TBG/Freebuild?
An excellent question. And did we ever get Swivelgames properly set up?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 12 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours