Lucas W wrote:
So, how's things going with TBG/Freebuild?

Slowly, at the moment. We'll see what happens over the long weekend.

And Swivel should be set up, but I don't know if he's tried actually checking any code out yet.
Anything new happening?
I would love to have something workable going with the graphics engine for the winter break. Right now I'm swamped with work, but winter break I will be looking for stuff to do.
Sounds good.
CyberPrime wrote:
I would love to have something workable going with the graphics engine for the winter break. Right now I'm swamped with work, but winter break I will be looking for stuff to do.
Excellent, glad to hear that there will be new progress coming. I remain excited for the day I can drive my trains around in Freebuild. Smile
I'm excited for the day I can build players and their customization options, like the droid parts I made for TOB.
Sorry for the long delay guys - I had a pretty heavy semester.

I've got DShiznit working on the animations and I'll release something vaguely functional. I'm working on fixing up the coloration issues.

I also have the default T3D buggy model using lego tires for fun, and once I strip the skeleton out of it I'll hook it up to the default LDraw car for even more fun.
Dude that still looks neat ^_^
Can't wait for it Razz
oh and i'm semi-active again

EDIT: Also happy the skis will be returning Very Happy
Xyno76 wrote:
Can't wait for it Razz

at this point they are just demonstrating how I can construct a model from script, and are not actually a vehicle. This could easily be mended, but for now I'm just testing the character generation facilities.
elfprince13 wrote:
Xyno76 wrote:
Can't wait for it Razz

at this point they are just demonstrating how I can construct a model from script, and are not actually a vehicle. This could easily be mended, but for now I'm just testing the character generation facilities.

Ok, got it. Razz

Oh by the way, does Torque 3D support shading modifiers? If you don't get that, then I could of defined it wrong, so I'm making an example to see if you know what I am talking about. Imagine playing freebuild and since your character is made of plastic, it should have a shiny overlay and have like, a reflection (or just be shiny)
Xyno76 wrote:
Oh by the way, does Torque 3D support shading modifiers? If you don't get that, then I could of defined it wrong, so I'm making an example to see if you know what I am talking about. Imagine playing freebuild and since your character is made of plastic, it should have a shiny overlay and have like, a reflection (or just be shiny)

The materials system in Torque 3D is incredibly powerful and supports exactly what you are describing here. Reflections are generally a bad idea though.
elfprince13 wrote:
Xyno76 wrote:

The materials system in Torque 3D is incredibly powerful and supports exactly what you are describing here. Reflections are generally a bad idea though.
Just add an option to disable them, problem solved.
Svenne wrote:

The materials system in Torque 3D is incredibly powerful and supports exactly what you are describing here. Reflections are generally a bad idea though. Just add an option to disable them, problem solved.

Oh hey! Good idea.
I wonder how hard it would be to make a GUI thing for that.
I got to see the live demo of this when Elfprince13 came to visit me in New York last week. Very impressive stuff indeed!
DShiznit has a batch of animations for me to try out. We'll see how it goes.
So wait, to recap, the main priorities is to get a stable character, and put in the Ldraw bricks, and then weapons, etc...?
Xyno76 wrote:
So wait, to recap, the main priorities is to get a stable character, and put in the Ldraw bricks, and then weapons, etc...?

I think this is the plan, although I could be wrong:

The first priority is to get objects to display at all. Next, they have to display correctly. Then, we'll have to display a lot of them.

Weapons, vehicles, switch mechanics, and other ginger will probably come much later.
DShiznit wrote:
Xyno76 wrote:

I think this is the plan, although I could be wrong:

The first priority is to get objects to display at all. Next, they have to display correctly. Then, we'll have to display a lot of them.

Weapons, vehicles, switch mechanics, and other ginger will probably come much later.

The LDraw bricks are "in", in as much as they display in game. Right now I'm focused on getting an animated player model (which DShiznit is working on/helping with) and a character-design GUI. The next steps will be, as DShiznit said, getting the bricks to display correctly (coloring and fixing a few graphical glitches), and displaying a lot of them. Then I'll probably work on the building mechanics (this actually goes hand in hand with displaying a lot of them), and then some in game skeletal animations tools and vehicle/player-attribute configuration GUIs. Train mechanics will probably go here as well.

At this point you can ALREADY use LDraw models for vehicles and weapons in the same way that you can use any old DTS model. You just have to do a lot of out-of-game configuration and messing with script-files. As I think I mentioned earlier, I currently have the GarageGames buggy running with LDraw wheels right now.

Switch mechanics and game-mode rules I'll probably leave to DShiznit+Wiggy+Cyberprime (if he's still interested) to implement as add-ons.
Double post, but...big shout-out to DShiz for his help with the animating.

Nice! I know it's the LEGO physics but do you guys have any plans to make the walking less static? There's not much you could animate to help.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 13 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours