I've woken the neighbors with mine Very Happy

I think they dislike me more for the welding incident than the alarm clock though...
Ah. Neighbors. Ive never had to suffer with such things. I have always lived in places several miles from civilization.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
My alarm clock. I keep it close to my ears so I can wake up to it.

It's more of a hate thing than a love-love relationship though.
I tend to use my cell phone as an alarm clock, which often works out stunningly poorly. I've unfortunately learned to turn off my cell phone alarm, which requires a three-button sequence, well enough in my sleep that I don't actually wake up when my alarm goes off. I could use my desktop and surround-sound as an alarm, but I don't want to disturb my flatmates too much.
KermMartian wrote:
I tend to use my cell phone as an alarm clock, which often works out stunningly poorly. I've unfortunately learned to turn off my cell phone alarm, which requires a three-button sequence, well enough in my sleep that I don't actually wake up when my alarm goes off

I end up setting 2 or 3 separate alarms (cell phone, iTunes, and actual alarm clock) in physically separate locations so I have to get up and chase them all down.
I've fallen asleep with my laptop in bed for... other reasons...
DShiznit wrote:

You must have been waiting on mail. When I fall asleep with my TI, I usually wake up with deleted code.
I plug my phone into my TV so it'll charge. Since my TV is across the room I have to get up to turn it off. Works well, actually.

I've fallen asleep with the remote to my TV, and that's about it recently. I always set the sleep timer so I never wake up to the TV P: It's probably for the better because I don't have any cable/satellite in my room, haha.
basicman wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

You must have been waiting on mail. When I fall asleep with my TI, I usually wake up with deleted code.
Haha, I've definitely run into that problem at least once or twice before. DShiznit, I'm going to go with the explanation that basicman gave other than rising to the obvious implication.
Oh yeah, there was a time when I totally did this all the time. Calculators, an electronic organizer, Gameboy...

Nowadays, I have a shelf space in the head of my bed where I keep things like that for easy access. I frequently lie down in bed while playing with that stuff (I have a bright light in an ideal position behind my head), but I no longer make a habit of sleeping with them in the bed because I wouldn't want to knock them on the floor, crush them, knock them behind something and get lost, etc.
Travis wrote:
Oh yeah, there was a time when I totally did this all the time. Calculators, an electronic organizer, Gameboy...
Oooh, what kind of organizer?

Quote:
Nowadays, I have a shelf space in the head of my bed where I keep things like that for easy access. I frequently lie down in bed while playing with that stuff (I have a bright light in an ideal position behind my head), but I no longer make a habit of sleeping with them in the bed because I wouldn't want to knock them on the floor, crush them, knock them behind something and get lost, etc.
I have a shelf too, but it usually holds a lamp and other things than electronics.
i sleep on a futon, the mattress of which is angles inwards, so i usually don't have to worry about things falling off. plus i have a shelf of sorts formed by the top of my bed and the wall where i can stow smaller things (calcs and other hand-held equipment, books, etc).
recently, a laptop came into my possession which, at least as far as my parents know, does not exist, and to keep it that way i always put it away in a sleeve and sleep with it under the covers with me. Razz
Eh, I usually listen to music to fall asleep as I have trouble sleeping sometimes and music helps....
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/laptop-fire-warning.shtml
I don't sleep with electronics, because I keep all my stuff on my desk (which is really cluttered atm).
souvik1997 wrote:
I don't sleep with electronics, because I keep all my stuff on my desk (which is really cluttered atm).

I am too lazy to make up my own post, so instead I quote others and then don't say anything new.
rohi89 wrote:

I've heard that if a laptop battery catches fire, it can burn at the bottom of a swimming pool...
KermMartian wrote:
Travis wrote:
Oooh, what kind of organizer?

This was too many years ago for me to remember specifics, but I had a Royal model, and later a Casio one when the beeper on the previous one quit working, and finally some Sharp model, I think. Nowadays, I don't have one since my calculator(s) and Timex Ironman Triathlon watch have pretty much replaced that role. Smile A big advantage to programmable devices like calcs is that I can write custom apps to manage special activities or projects that I might decide to do.

rohi89 wrote:

I had a sort of close call not too long ago when I had accidentally shoved the power brick to my netbook under a pillow for a few hours while using it. When I finally uncovered it, it was pretty hot. I would like to hope that they would put thermal protection devices in these things to shut them down in these kinds of scenarios.
That's not impossible, but I find it unlikely. Things like sodium burn in oxygen and water, but I would find it hard to believe that a submerged battery would burn. Overheat to the point of causing the water around it to boil, sure, but burn, doubtful. Whenever I leave my laptop on while I sleep, I make sure to turn it upside-down where it won't have sheets or blankets over it, because there's no sense overheating, even if it's not going to start a fire.
KermMartian wrote:
That's not impossible, but I find it unlikely. Things like sodium burn in oxygen and water, but I would find it hard to believe that a submerged battery would burn.

I would imagine that if it was already on fire it would have no difficulty igniting the hydrogen and oxygen it is producing.

Quote:
I had a sort of close call not too long ago when I had accidentally shoved the power brick to my netbook under a pillow for a few hours while using it. When I finally uncovered it, it was pretty hot. I would like to hope that they would put thermal protection devices in these things to shut them down in these kinds of scenarios.

I've done this a couple times, and it's scary. I couldn't touch it for about 5 minutes after one time when I played SC2 for a few hours and forgot to unbury it from under a pillow first.
I have an old laptop battery I can't use anymore anyway if anyone has a pool we can test this in...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours