Soon after a beta of Obliterate was released, and many members here provided extremely helpful feedback, it is my pleasure to announce the Obliterate 1.0, a Scorched Earth/Tanks-genre game for TI graphing calculators. It features single-player gameplay, multiplayer mode over CALCnet 2.2, and the ability to add AIs to multiplayer games. To borrow from the description:

Obliterate is a scorched-earth/tanks game for Doors CS 7 and TI calculators. Choose from single-player or multi-player mode. Obliterate brings superb graphics, fast and furious gameplay, and cunning AIs to this classic genre and much-loved platform. Challenge any number of AIs to a single-player game, or connect from one to dozens of friends' calculators over CALCnet and go head-to-head in a multiplayer match! Set the angle and power of your shot, watch out for the wind, and take aim at your enemies! The last tank standing wins the match. With the power of the recently-released global CALCnet, you can even play in friends from across town, across the country, or around the world in a game of Obliterate on your calculator.

I hope you enjoy the game, and please feel free to play it on global CALCnet! With the release of Obliterate, most of the free time I manage to find between my packed work schedule will go towards the development of direct USB gCn, so hopefully that will be coming soon.

Download
Obliterate v1.0

Great job on the release Kerm! Obliterate is now one of my most played calculator games. Smile
souvik1997 wrote:
Great job on the release Kerm! Obliterate is now one of my most played calculator games. Smile
That's awesome! I hope the rest of the calculator community finds it as fun. And I'm hoping to see tons of activity on the gCn metahub once DirectUSB is implemented.
Very nice. I take it you hunted down the premature game-over bug?
elfprince13 wrote:
Very nice. I take it you hunted down the premature game-over bug?
Yup, it turned out to be pretty silly. When a bullet traveled so fast that it skips off the screen between physics ticks without touching the bottom row, I was handling that, but it jumped to the code right after checking what tanks died. It was then seeing if there were at least two tanks still alive, but because for the fast bullet case it skipped over counting the still-alive tanks (because no one can die when no explosion happens) it had an uninitialized variable, and thus sometimes decided that the game had ended.
This game is so much win. My only nitpick, and there's probably nothing you can do about it, is that if I hit the bottom/side of a mountain, the whole freaking mountain disappears, rather than leave a satisfying concave opening. I'm guessing this is because terrain is stored and handled purely as a string of heights?
Very nice Kerm Martian. This is the first time I have tried Obliterate and I have to say it is very addicting. Wow, just wow. Smile
ParkerR, thanks! I appreciate the complement, and I hope you enjoy it.
DShiznit, thanks to you as well, I really appreciate it. You're exactly right, that's why that happens. It's a trick to use 96 bytes of memory instead of 768 for a full screen of terrain.
Hmm... I don't think I tried this version yet. I was kinda busy with mViewer and two other games lately. I'll load this on my TI-Nspire when I get some time.

I loved the beta, the only issue being the AI crashing on TI-Nspire models, so I'll load this on my calc now. Smile
This just might be a reason to dig out the link cable and start playing games on my calculator again Razz

Nice job, Kerm! Smile
DJ_O, and indeed, I fixed that bug in this version.
Tsukasa, I'm happy to hear it! I certainly hope so.
That is totaly awsome!
Thanks, Sorunome! Did you get a chahce to try out this ffinal release yet? I look forward to any feedback or comments.
Yeah, I just tried it out! And there isn't the bug anymore that you can set minimum players to 1 Smile
Sorunome wrote:
Yeah, I just tried it out! And there isn't the bug anymore that you can set minimum players to 1 Smile
Yup, I fixed every bug I knew about before I released Obliterate v1.0. I also emailed ticalc.org to let them know about it, in case they found it feature-worthy, but they insisted it be IPv6-compatible before they would even look at it. Wink
Cool! It is fun enouth to make it featured! Smile Again great work!
It occurs to me, could you add holes to terrain by recording the length and starting location of where the gap in your height in each line of terrain would be? It might take up a bit more memory, but if it makes your terrain engine more versatile...
That would increase the storage by a factor of three, to 96*3= 288 bytes total, which isn't terrible, but it would still forbid two distinct holes in a cliff, for example.
I think there is some issue with the game not working right when playing using CALCnet (not gCn) with 2 different calcs. (i.e. a 84+SE and a 83+ in my case). Terrain isn't uniform, though the tanks will attack, and it will read who wins, but the firing and terrain is off.
good to know it is not only me then >.>

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours