Shkaboinka, that's exactly what I've been saying, thanks very much for your support. I absolutely agree that TI's target demographic is no standardized testing executive administrators and heads of educational institutions, in other words the individuals that control what device hundreds, thousands, or millions of students are forced to buy.
I watched as TI has declined in their performance to the only community who has kept their calculators alive. First it was the recall of the TI 84+, although I doubt anyone here has actually returned it. Now it's the un-programmable Nspire. TI will die if we all switch to Casio. I've always hated Casio, but, right now, it seems like the better option
TI_Coder wrote:
I watched as TI has declined in their performance to the only community who has kept their calculators alive. First it was the recall of the TI 84+, although I doubt anyone here has actually returned it. Now it's the un-programmable Nspire. TI will die if we all switch to Casio. I've always hated Casio, but, right now, it seems like the better option
TI_Coder, precisely, they're betraying both the community that has publicized their calculators and made their products vastly more attractive to students, and they're betraying the very students who are forced year after year to buy their products. I hadn't heard of this TI-84+ recall though; can you tell me more?
http://xkcd.com/768/
That comic looks familiar, I think it's been posted on the forums somewhere. Always provides a laugh though Smile
@Kerm. It wasn't so much of a recall as a termination of sales. Has anyone else failed to find the TI-84 at any stores? I've only found ugly covers
I saw some at Staples the other day...
Really now? Hmm. I guess I looked everywhere but Staples
I saw a lot of TI 84+(SE)s at Walmart, along with a few TI 89 Titaniums and Nspires.
Same.
There was a rumor a few months back that TI was discontinuing the TI-84+/SE line, but it turned out to be unfounded.

Edit: I have posted the first post of this topic to the TI-Nspire Google group, along with the following introduction:

http://groups.google.com/group/tinspire/browse_thread/thread/552a2517900b6a52

Quote:
I am Christopher "Kerm Martian" Mitchell, and I founded Cemetech, a pillar of the TI programming community, over a decade ago. In recent years, community members have become more and more concerned with TI's lackadaisical attitude towards the community, particularly in its attempts to block any kind of nontrivial programming capabilities on the TI-Nspire, either in the form of BASIC, ASM, or C. I recently wrote a short editorial about the current state of TI and the graphing calculator scene, and a half-dozen of my members suggested that the members of this group might both find the article interesting and be able to offer some feedback. Feel free to take a look at some of the eighty-odd comments that have accrued in the past eighteen hours, mostly from other programmers voicing their concerns and telling the story of how their TI calculators first got them interested in programming, computer science, or engineering. The link to the discussion is here; enjoy the read, and of course please provide any feedback.

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5861
The more powerful these calculators get, the less likely teachers will let you use them. I bet if I walked into class with a CX or a Prism that I would get it confiscated before I turned it on. Those calcs are only for professional and graduate level work. Besides, the 84 has programs that can make it work better. I do REALLY think they need to up the resolution. It's not very good for making graphs actually. You can't use the graph in any professional application, for that you have to use you PC. I think that probably that's the only flaw with the 84. I find that when you're calculating large numbers that you're generally willing to wait for it to finish.
On the gaming/calc hacker side of me, I think that the Prism is a really cool calculator that I would buy. (If I could get one cheap/free) I think that the calculator will never become as successful as the CX though. Especially because TI has a REALLY good rep with math teachers, text book writers, and standardized test people. Parents won't go out and buy Casio's for the kids, which obviously is a shame. TI calc's are monopolized for sure, and they are staying that way. Also, I had a 50 dollar Casio with the menu's (Related closely with this one) and it was far more difficult to use. You really have to read the instructions to get anything done. Heck, I had trouble making a graph the first time!
adept, I'll answer your post in a second. First, got a response from the TI-Nspire google group!
http://groups.google.com/group/tinspire/msg/dafef6b63e351f8e?
wow, I cannot comprehend how stupid that is

unless he is talking about ndless C, then he is right Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
wow, I cannot comprehend how stupid that is

unless he is talking about ndless C, then he is right Very Happy

This this this.
qazz:
TI paid him a million dollars to say that! Razz
Not too bright! TI-Basic is NOT ANYTHING close to any of the languages he mentioned.
No, I think the Nspire BASIC is indeed sort of like Java and C, but the problem is that it's crippled to have no I/O functions, which pretty much precludes its use for game-making or any kind of fun or advanced programming, in my humble opinino.
KermMartian wrote:
No, I think the Nspire BASIC is indeed sort of like Java and C, but the problem is that it's crippled to have no I/O functions, which pretty much precludes its use for game-making or any kind of fun or advanced programming, in my humble opinino.

It is impossible to teach good programming skills with no I/O functions. Wink
In today's world, they just don't teach good programming practices!
Check out the latest response:

http://groups.google.com/group/tinspire/msg/8dce05dbd0258060?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 19
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours