So I had this old lamp that was going to get thrown out because it didn't have a bulb or lampshade. I threw a CFL on it and slipped a Sunny D gallon jug on top of that, securing it with one of my Mom's old scrunchies. Now I have an awesome lamp I made almost entirely out of recycled parts.
You also have a fire-hazard. Razz
Yeah just make sure the plastic doesn't melt while you sleep.
I don't leave it on, and if it ever gets hot(which it hasn't yet, and I've been real careful to check it often) cutting out the top of the jug would give it enough ventilation.
That's pretty cool looking =) Fun project.
Cool project indeed! I second or third the ventilation concerns that the others voiced. Smile
Using a fluorescent bulb would reduce the amount of heat produced, have you done that?
souvik1997 wrote:
Using a fluorescent bulb would reduce the amount of heat produced, have you done that?
He said he's using a CFL, so he did indeed think of that, it seems. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
He said he's using a CFL, so he did indeed think of that, it seems. Smile

Ah, nevermind then. I should read more carefully. Razz
If you want to really be eco-friendly, spend some money on an LED bulb. It'll last you for a LONG time. But you would probably need ventilation to accompany it.
elfprince13 wrote:
If you want to really be eco-friendly, spend some money on an LED bulb. It'll last you for a LONG time. But you would probably need ventilation to accompany it.
Aye, those things get surprisingly hot, even with the epic heatsinks that the manufacturers are forced to use.
But they are insanely more efficient and have way longer lifespans. Technically they don't ever burn out, just degrade over time, so the lifespan they are rated for is the average time it takes for them to degrade to 70% of their original output.
On that note, are the material and recycling costs for Compact Florescent bulbs really made up for by their longer life span, I mean you can buy a box of incandescent bulbs for $.99 and yet CFL's are like $6 a pop? Not to mention they require extra circuitry in the base and when thrown out produce more, and more harmful waist.
TheStorm wrote:
On that note, are the material and recycling costs for Compact Florescent bulbs really made up for by their longer life span, I mean you can buy a box of incandescent bulbs for $.99 and yet CFL's are like $6 a pop? Not to mention they require extra circuitry in the base and when thrown out produce more, and more harmful waist.

Unfortunately this is very true. In the long run, there IS a net savings in energy and resources, but it's not as big as you may be led to believe. It'll probably get better over time though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours