_player1537 wrote:
The Casio calculator that this is based off of (I assume) seems to be pretty awful in just about everything; from apps, to headers, to images.

It's in some ways worse than the TI-84+ SE and in some ways better. I wouldn't call it bad unless the calculator we all know and love is likewise "pretty awful." Plus, there are things going on behind the scenes that will remedy many of those problems.
The TI-83/+/SE/84+/SE OS certainly has its shortcomings, and I think we can all agree that TI sells the calculators at a truly ridiculous markup. However, TI has managed to shove the worst parts of the OS under the surface where only we hardcore ASM programmers and occasional BASIC programmers have occasion to see and despair of their faults. The Casio Prizm's OS seems to just have more glaring lack of polish, personally; I don't think it's necessarily that much worse. I definitely think that TI's color calculator (if this is indeed the case) will sell better than Casio's just because of their name and relationship with educators.
I've run into those shortcomings myself, so I can agree that some of them will give you those WTF moments. That said, the amount of material that's currently available is proof that even those flaws can be worked around, especially if the OS isn't called. The biggest limitations are usually in the hardware, not the software. That's a problem with the Prizm as well, mostly because of the undocumented parts of the processor.
Ah, I wasn't even aware that the Prizm had a lot of undocumented processor functionality, you'll have to tell us more about that when you get a chance. Overall, my biggest fear will be that the new Nspire will have old-Nspire-level programming capabilities and/or not have an 84+/SE emulator built-in.
We could always write an emulator ourselves, with Ndless available. Wink
It's that there's lot of undocumented functionality. It's more along the lines of Casio screwed with the design and several important parts don't process things as they should from the documentation available.
souvik1997 wrote:
We could always write an emulator ourselves, with Ndless available. Wink
Right, but the vast, vast majority of calculators out there would have no such thing, and all the existing TI-84+/SE and 83+/SE programs and applications and suites would more or less be totally lost to the sands of time. It's the same argument about why writing third-party OSes is an endeavor unlikely to yield hundreds of thousands of installs, sadly. Sad
The vast majority of calculators don't have third-party applications or programs stored in them.
souvik1997 wrote:
The vast majority of calculators don't have third-party applications or programs stored in them.
Mmm, I'd beg to differ. Maybe I have a vastly-skewed sample set, but I get the impression that many people have at least a BASIC game or two, since many schools have at least one "calculator guy" (guilty as charged) who writes and/or distributes programs to his (or her) peers.
Well, everyone at my school has TI 84+'s, and they don't think games can exist on a calculator. :/
souvik1997 wrote:
Well, everyone at my school has TI 84+'s, and they don't think games can exist on a calculator. :/
That's saddening to hear. Sad I hope you gave them Doors CS and lots of cool games! Cool
I did. Smile
It has allready been annouced that the TI-Nspire 3.0 OS is going to include a TI-84+SE 2.56MP system.

Both basic TI-Nspire CX and TI-Nspire CX CAS calculators were listed on many online shops yesterday, but have been removed.
(you can still find some of the broken links through Google)

If the TI-Nspire CX OS is the 3.0 OS from the other TI-Nspire, then it will include TI-84+SE emulation.
But, the emulator needs a removable keypad to start... I don't know if the CX, which is supposed to use a clam shell, will have removable keypads.

And who said it was not confirmed? Razz

Crossposting from Omnimaga and TI-Bank:

According to Google, the TI-Nspire CAS CX has been mentionned on education.ti.com.

Google wrote:
classroom set of TI-Nspire CX or TI-Nspire CX CAS handhelds (valued at approximately $5400.00) to see if you win! Make a point of attending these exciting ...

http://education.ti.com/sites/US/downloads/pdf/t32011_sunday_session.pdf (information removed)

Yesterday, we could also find through Google with "TI-Nspire CX" many links to online shops, but most of the links were broken (removed pages/entries).
Most of those broken links seem to have been removed from the Google database today.

Seems TI has been trying to hide the "TI-Nspire CX" from us... I'm sure they do hate me now Razz
I wonder how the College Board will treat this.
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
Mmm, I'd beg to differ. Maybe I have a vastly-skewed sample set, but I get the impression that many people have at least a BASIC game or two, since many schools have at least one "calculator guy" (guilty as charged) who writes and/or distributes programs to his (or her) peers.

well, I am calculator guy, but the problem is that roughly 70% of kids in my grade hate me and decide to bash me instead of ask for games
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

well, I am calculator guy, but the problem is that roughly 70% of kids in my grade hate me and decide to bash me instead of ask for games

They bash you for making helpful programs?
no, for making programs AND for playing games no the calculator

perhaps naming my calc qazz jr was a bad idea (Just Joking, it was a wonderful idea ) Laughing
whoa, this is awesome! I wonder how much we will have to crack it to make it work in assembly though Wink
hopefully it should have, sort of, the same composition of the first nspire, so asm should just require a little tweaking of ndless.

sadface: I do not see a slot for removable keypads D:
If they haven't fixed the arbitrary code execution flaw that Ndless uses, it will indeed require little tweaking of Ndless. But in 7 months since the release of Nleash (which contained the first public version of the exploit), it's very unlikely that they haven't bothered to close the hole.

We open development community were able to remain ahead of them, and ExtendeD + testers were able to produce Nleash in 15 days, precisely because the pre-versions of Ndless 1.7 remained private.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours