well perhaps he has crossed his legal obligations and cannot tell us more?
qazz42 wrote:
well perhaps he has crossed his legal obligations and cannot tell us more?
I'm not sure what you mean by "crossed", but I am sure there is some kind of nondisclosure at work here intended to keep competitors from launching any kind of competitive response yet.
From here
Snake X wrote:

This morning, I went into our tech office, lo and behold was the employee. Before I begin, thanks for all your help to making this possible. Let's begin!

me: Hello, I herd you work with TI, is this true?

person: No, I work with TI, but I work very close too them, like I freelance for them and do stuff with them.

Me: Ok, in that case, may I be able to see the new calculator?

[person pulls out new Nspire CX out of his gym bag, bubble wrapped]

Me: ahh very nice. Very nice indeed [explores it a little, goes to documents folder first thing but finding many documents so I exited]. Now does this have any new programming capabilities?

Person: No, it does not have new capabilities from the current generation Nspire, it only has basic programming functions to solve mathmatical equations. There are about only 300 people that work in the educational division of TI, so they were trying to mainly push out the 3D capabilities and the color screen mostly, so the programming was not changed in the new calculator, sorry about that.

Me: Do you think that there will be any plans for future calculator programming on these?

person: No, there are no plans to give any programming functions as far as I know other than the ones that are already included. And I know there are many people that care about gaming and that stuff [me: definitely Razz] but really the teachers don't care about what goes as far as programming. TI is always trying to improve their calculators, but this one was just mainly focusing on graphing and color. Maybe next time..

Me: and the teachers are the ones that are influencing the direction of this?

person: yeah, the main thing is getting what the teachers want and that is our main business.

Me: Ok, well in the future, will the support for these calculators (I point to a crate of Nspire CAS's)?

person: Definitely, we won't be dropping support for these calculators since we are making os 3.0 and they will be compatible with them.

Me: Ok, thanks for that then, I guess I should be leaving now..

Person: Ok, thanks! Have a good day!

Me: waaaiit one more question [person: yeah?] when will these things be released?

Person: In april.

Me: Do you know what day?

Person: No, all I know is that its in April, and even then thats just my estimation.

Me: Ok, thanks! C ya.

Conclusion: The Nspire CX will NOT be supporting new gaming capabilities and teachers ARE their business so they don't care about us. The buttons Were NOT rubber if anyone is wandering. I only looked at the home screen, moved the curser a bit, and just looked in the documents folder and that was about it. Sorry, I did not ask about the OS 2.53MP. The calculators were noticeably thiner than the current ones and look just like they would as if you saw them in the pictures. The ETA is in APRIL.
Oh man, that's terrible! Thanks for finding that and posting it here; I wish that other people took that courtesy to keep the community informed. Wink That makes me very sad, and I'll probably stick with my original plan of getting the Casio Prizm.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed, but not surprised. Also, there was this:
omniurl.tk/6767 wrote:

I don't think this will help someone who wants to use the getkey command on an nspire but because I was interested to know if there would be an update(ever) to have the getket command, I contacted TI.

This is what I wrote:

Code:

---- Original Message ----
Name: Stefan
Email: stefan.bauwens@hotmail.com
Type of Service: CalcOrProcedure
Computer Software Setup/Usage:
Product Group: GrphHH
Product: TI-Nspire with ClickPad
Purchase Time: nomonth/noyearselected
Customer Type: NotSelected
Product Serial#:
Computer OS: NotSelected
Comments: HI,

I have a question about the ti-nspire.
I heard that you can program for it. But I also have heard that you can't use the function 'getkey()'.
This is quite important in many programs. I program 68k basic programs and I see this as a very negative point.

Isn't the ti nspire supposed to be more 'advanced' than the 68k calcs?

I would be pleased that in a future update this function can be used.

Waiting for a reply,

Stefan

And this is what I received:

Code:
Dear Stefan,

The TI-Nspire indeed does not have the getkey() programming function.
Actually, the only I/O command is 'disp'.
In general, programming on the TI-Nspire was not meant for real programming, but more for writing small programs requiring one input (entered before program execution) to e.g. automate calculations which need to be done frequently. There are currently no plans to make changes in the programming abilities of the TI-Npsire and TI-Nspire CAS models.

The TI-83/84 Plus series, Voyage 200 and TI-89 Titanium have greater programming capabilities. They do support a full range of I/O commands, hence being the better calculators to suit your needs.

Kind regards,

BERT VERMEIREN

Texas Instruments
Education Technology

This all happened today in case you would want to know.
Also because I'm from Belgium, it looks like the guy is too.(He has a dutch name.)
NOTE: I do not have a ti-nspire, but I was thinking I could ever buy one because I heard it has almost the same language as the 68k family.

I just post this in case any of you guys were interested or were expecting TI to make an update 'fixing' that function.

I'm also worried about 84+ emulation.

I'M sure Ndless will eventually arrive on that calc, but at this point we should stop bothering e-mailing TI-Cares asking for more programming capabilities because it's pointless now.

The Prizm's BASIC is slow and buggy, but at least we can do ASCII-art games on it, which, IMHO, can be fun if done properly. This isn't to mention we can already run third-party add-ins on it, even though Casio has yet to release a SDK.
We can indeed run third-party add-ins, and standard compilers support it! I am gravely worried about TI-84+ emulation; I'm more or less convinced it will be entirely omitted.
I thought OS 3.0 was going to include 2.56MP, though....
souvik1997 wrote:
I thought OS 3.0 was going to include 2.56MP, though....
Oh, does that apply to the CX as well? It might have 2.56MP, but I was assuming that that was just regarding the existing grayscale Nspires.
Yeah I remember a document specifying 2.56MP somewhere, but I forgot where it was. Maybe 84+ emulation will be included in the old Nspires.

The thing, however, is if OS 2.1 size was so large, imagine with 3D graphing being added. Shock
I'm starting to get the feeling that neither TI or Casio has heard of gcc -O2 when compiling. From what I've heard there is no reason these calcs should be this low on space.
DJ_O wrote:
Yeah I remember a document specifying 2.56MP somewhere, but I forgot where it was. Maybe 84+ emulation will be included in the old Nspires.

The thing, however, is if OS 2.1 size was so large, imagine with 3D graphing being added. Shock

If Graph3 can do it in under 16kb, the OS should not be that much larger.
souvik1997 wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

But TI does not have a very good track record with things like this. Razz

Graph3 is already faster than the 89's built-in 3D graphing software.
TC01 wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

But TI does not have a very good track record with things like this. Razz

Graph3 is already faster than the 89's built-in 3D graphing software.
It may be faster but it plots fewer points and is much less versitile. The author made some trade offs ot get that speed on an 83+.
Quote:
fter trying twice before, I finally received this e-mail from Texas Instruments:

Code:
Danny,

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

We appreciate your interest in our new TI-Nspire CX technology. Since the CX handhelds do not have a removable keypad, the TI-84 Plus keypad cannot be used with a TI-Nspire CX handheld. I regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Another resource you can use to find answers to your questions, example calculations and other information is our Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is accessible to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

http://support.education.ti.com

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you have further questions or comments, please feel free to send me an email.

Warmest Regards,

Doug Fincher

An interesting point. TI never states that TI-84+ emulation will be removed, just that the keypad will not be supported.

What can we get from this? I assume this means that the new OS updates will still include the 84 Plus emulation, as it will still be usable on the older models, but since the keypad will not be compatible with the CX, the emulation itself will not work there. Might there be a way to activate the emulator to make it work? One major problem to this would be that since the 84 keypad is not specifically compatible with the CX, I doubt that the emulation would be updated to support the new color screen. We can only hope that the 84 emulation might still continue on the CX, as if it does not, it will be a major blow to both the Nspire Program Library and the TI-84 Plus series.

yay, no TI-84 emulation!
And now I'm even happier with my decision to get a Casio Prizm over a TI-Nspire CX. This shall go in my upcoming review for sure. Dammit TI. Sad
Indeed. I'm totally disappointed in them. My guess is that they wanted to keep the TI-Nspire CX the same price as the others to compete against Casio, and as a trade-off, they decided to get rid of 84+ emulation to make people who want games to buy an extra calc later.

I hope Calc84maniac eventually revives NspireZ80...

I miss the days where we could buy a TI-Nspire+84 Silver Edition keypad for cheaper than an actual TI-84 Plus SE in Quebec's Staple stores...
An update to qazz's above message. Although that e-mail never directly states that TI is eliminating 84+ emulation, I asked for clarification and they confirmed that the Nspire CX will definitely not support emulation. Sad
APCalc, thank you very much for letting us know and for asking. You had better luck than I in getting details out of those cads. One day I do hope to get myself an Nspire, if for nothing else than to complete my calculator collection, but I don't respect TI for it at all.
TheStorm wrote:
I'm starting to get the feeling that neither TI or Casio has heard of gcc -O2 when compiling. From what I've heard there is no reason these calcs should be this low on space.

Wouldn't that be -Os
Wink

Actually, if anyone is willing to compile some SH3 code with -Os or -Ofast, I'd be interested in seeing how efficient GCC can really get.
Don't you mean -O3? Very Happy As soon as I'm ready to start writing some add-ins in C, I'll try to do some experiments.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours