Ah. I'd really like that, and so would most people, I think.
merthsoft wrote:
Ah. I'd really like that, and so would most people, I think.
Definitely, I think that would make me much more likely to use this, since it would play nice with Doors CS!
merthsoft wrote:
Xeda112358 wrote:
Yeah, that was actually why I was testing it out XD Hopefully that will allow for patterned borders defined the way you mentioned them Smile
Awesome. Also, do you know if this chains with the DCS hooks? I'd like to making something using both that neat line drawing, and the DCS raycasting function.

Explain, please Razz Since when has DCS had a raycasting function?
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=BasicLibs:ScanForPx
That's not raycasting, Merth. Wink
Ahh, that function Smile I agree that I wouldn't call it raycasting, simply because that term is used more with the 3D graphics method. Though it is casting a ray; I would have just called it "Scan for pixel" method, but meh.
souvik1997 wrote:
That's not raycasting, Merth. Wink
Yes, it is.
Oh, I thought you meant 3D graphics, as Tanner said. Nevermind then.
That's actually a pretty neat command! Would be alright if I add something similar to BatLib? It might be a long time in coming, and I wouldn't make it quite the same. My idea is to define a vector and a status (pixel on or off) and then have a command return the coordinates of the first pixel reached in the direction of the vector that matches the status!

EDIT:
It would be great for games that have projectiles!
Why not just let users use the DCS routine for it? That would be a good reason for you to let your hook chain! Wink
Oh, I will try to get chaining to work, but for those people who don't have DCS, but have BatLib, it would be nice if they could have something similar. Plus, it would be cool to be able to make a mini tank game that has shooting at odd angles with collision detection Very Happy There could be some cool games made that way...
The vector thing is definitely a neat idea, I like it.
Xeda112358 wrote:
Oh, I will try to get chaining to work, but for those people who don't have DCS, but have BatLib, it would be nice if they could have something similar. Plus, it would be cool to be able to make a mini tank game that has shooting at odd angles with collision detection Very Happy There could be some cool games made that way...
Definitely, that would be a nice addition to the concept; I'd be interested to see what you could do with that.
Aw, now I really want to try to get that added, but I have been a little distracted lately with school :/ I have ideas for using it already that could make some very fun mini games Smile Then again, now that I think about it, the user could just use pixel tests :/ It would be slower, but still easy to do in BASIC or ReCode. Anywho, off that topic...

I want to add the equivalent of "call" and "jp" to ReCode where prgmXX would be a call and Goto XX would be a jump. The XX would be a label of some kind... The nice part is that if I add this, the ReCode code will not need to be in a ReCode block. For example:

Code:

dim(40         ;Start the ReCode block
prgm01         ;executes the call labeled 01
Fill(0
prgm01         ;executes the call again
Stop           ;Stops ReCode, BASIC
dim(10,3,43→A  ;Waits for arrows or enter through clear to be pressed
Return
Lbl 01
<<Some ReCode code>>
End            ;not sure if End or Stop will work better to end a call
Xeda112358 wrote:
Aw, now I really want to try to get that added, but I have been a little distracted lately with school :/ I have ideas for using it already that could make some very fun mini games Smile Then again, now that I think about it, the user could just use pixel tests :/ It would be slower, but still easy to do in BASIC or ReCode.
The speed is the big reason I'd want it to be Asm. Doing all the math and everything myself to set a direction and tell it to go would be annoying.
Hm, okay, then I will try to whip up something in the near future.

Also, has anybody here made line drawing routines? If so, do you draw 1 pixel at a time or 1 byte at a time? I keep trying to make routines to draw one byte at a time to make it faster.
Xeda112358 wrote:
Hm, okay, then I will try to whip up something in the near future.

Also, has anybody here made line drawing routines? If so, do you draw 1 pixel at a time or 1 byte at a time? I keep trying to make routines to draw one byte at a time to make it faster.
Generally you want to do as much optimization as possible, so a byte at a time where applicable, but with non-horizontal / non-vertical lines, that can be a significant challenge. I'm still amazed that some of the line-drawing routines I've written work at any reasonable speed or indeed at all.
Is this lib already finished?
Not even close Very Happy There are still over 4000 bytes of code space to fill up Smile I don't want to waste a quarter of a page, so I will probably add in a more miscellaneous stuff.
Xeda112358 wrote:
Not even close Very Happy There are still over 4000 bytes of code space to fill up Smile I don't want to waste a quarter of a page, so I will probably add in a more miscellaneous stuff.
Zeda, word on the street is that you will be limiting the scope of publication of your updates, which I am sorry to hear. I hope you'll continue to keep us occasionally appraised of the progress that you're making, though!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours