Can we all sign it? please?
Sure. Anyone who wants to can sign. Just post how u want signed.
I don't want to discourage you, but I don't think the teachers will listen to you in this letter.
Trust me, I got more than the letter going on. Wink
By the way, Brandon Wilson freely distributed a patched copy of a copyrighted OS.
Of the entire OS, or just a patch? I may need to edit that in.
ACagliano wrote:
Of the entire OS, or just a patch? I may need to edit that in.
The entire 2.53MP.
Edited.
The whole OS in all of its copyrighted glory, and a snide note saying something like "if you fix your OS I wouldn't have to put up an illegal patched version"
SirCmpwn wrote:
The whole OS in all of its copyrighted glory, and a snide note saying something like "if you fix your OS I wouldn't have to put up an illegal patched version"

haha.
Anyway, getting back on-topic, I think you should acknowledge in some way that plenty of low-life students do use "programming" for cheating by storing text in programs. I was very careful to make a note in the Document DE readme that I did not condone using it to cheat, because I despise people who do that. They ruin things for everyone else. Another possible argument is that programming offers an unfair advantage because people who know how to program, or to get programs, have an unfair advantage in terms of either doing the problems more quickly or checking their work.
My teachers were always O.K. with my programming. For instance, my 6th grade math teacher was trying to get me to program more, and was always impressed when I did make something cool. In my experience, the good teachers are the ones who say "If you can program something to do this problem, then I guess you have a pretty good understanding of how to do it" (Which meant I could use it on a test because I knew how to do it otherwise). I do know some teachers though who would erase my friend's calculator's memory all the time (She wasn't calculator literate btw Razz So she was just unarchiving his programs thinking they were deleted). I'm pretty sure some teachers will follow the way they've been doing it. Most of them that aren't very forgiving about calculator programming seem to not be willing to change.
KermMartian wrote:
Anyway, getting back on-topic, I think you should acknowledge in some way that plenty of low-life students do use "programming" for cheating by storing text in programs. I was very careful to make a note in the Document DE readme that I did not condone using it to cheat, because I despise people who do that. They ruin things for everyone else. Another possible argument is that programming offers an unfair advantage because people who know how to program, or to get programs, have an unfair advantage in terms of either doing the problems more quickly or checking their work.

I WAS going to do that for my math midterm, but then I thought "What would Kerm say" and I can say I did not cheat Very Happy
Sadly, I have the feeling that teachers won't listen to this. On top of that, if you show them Cemetech, the first thing they'll see are a shell to play or program mainly games, tools to get Internet on your calc (which they could misinterpret as tools to cheat easier, such as sending your answers to other students in class), and if you show them Omni, games are plastered everywhere, even in the site banner.

I am not too confident that they'll see better programming capabilities as a benefit to education, although I guess it doesn't hurt to suggest new functions such as getkey and try to convince TI that they would allow for better-looking programs.

As for a teacher section I guess it could be an idea, but I do not know if Kerm wants to derail Cemetech from its calc programming and hardware mod focus with school sections. I myself added a math section on my site, following many requests, but I try to keep my game focus, so the section was placed inside a sub-forum.
Qazz, I'm very happy to hear it, although I hope your conscience will work even without my influences. Smile DJ, that's more or less what I'm thinking. I don't particularly want to add a Math subforum, because I don't feel like we have enough topics to sustain such a subforum.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours