So.

Phantom Sanctuary needs a .com.
I lack the money to afford one ATM.
But, could someone with extra webspace hook me up?

Many thanks.
I'll look into setting something up on my hosting if you want. Haven't messed with this sort of thing so I'm a newb at sharing hosting Razz
Well, there's a difference between buying a domain (<$10/year) and buying hosting ($30-3000/year depending on what you need). Are you talking about both, or just the latter?
Buying a domain.
Raylin wrote:
Buying a domain.
Each domain name costs between about ten and thousands of dollars, depending on whether it's new ($10) or being camped by a domain-squatting lowlife (up to thousands, depending on what the domain is. If you have hosting, you don't get domains, so your initial question is somewhat moot. Have you considered .tk?
I thought that was unprofessional in regards to marketing things and whatnot... Is it good?
Raylin wrote:
I thought that was unprofessional in regards to marketing things and whatnot... Is it good?
Yes, it is fairly unprofessional. If you want something professional, though, you have to spend money, and I didn't think you wanted to.
Go with .co.nr over .tk. Less of their advertising hokum.
The chances are you're website domain is only 10$, both of mine were. And that's 10$ a year. Plus the ICANN Fee of about 0.18$ a year.

Don't cheap out on your domain extension. In my opinion.
Don't use .tk. 50% uptime. They were good between 2006 and 2009, when they became less popular for a while. Otherwise I and many others used them in 2004 and more and more people use them since 2010 and most of the time the redirect won't even load.

Otherwise, for site hosting, there's Freehostia if you want a free hosting provider. They don't have ads, if I remember, although they're a bit on the slow side. For a cheap host you can also use Surpasshosting or 1and1 I guess.
Not to mention, when you go to that website, switching pages keeps you on the same "webpage" which makes it extremely difficult to save a bookmark for a specific page or link to something.
yeah don't use .tk mine just went down cause of one of there stupid rules cause my hosts server went down for a few hours now i have to muck with them to fix it just co.cc or another free one if your broke or even yet if you have a computer/site to host it and just need a domain use freedns.afraid.org and get a sub domain Ive had no issues with them at all
_player1537 wrote:
Not to mention, when you go to that website, switching pages keeps you on the same "webpage" which makes it extremely difficult to save a bookmark for a specific page or link to something.
Actually I think you just have to use a frame breaking script (Google them), but I don't know if it's against their rules. Never use frame redirects (without a frame breaking script) for a page that requires logging in, because you keep getting logged out all the time.

Plus, right-clicking a link on such page lets you view the original URL, anyway.
I see what you are saying, but if it's someone who isn't very computer literate, then they might not know how to do that sort of thing. I tried to keep a page up with .tk (tannerhobson.tk) but it wouldn't update while I was testing the page, so I was left trying to figure out if I did or didn't do anything to the page. Eventually I just settled on keeping the name of the subdomain and having people go to that.
Ah, right, true. X.x

Personally when I use redirect domain names or sub-domains I prefer to not use a frame-based one. For the ones I have I simply load a page that automatically forwards to another. The downside with that, though, is that in some browsers, if you want to click back it keeps redirecting you to the website you were on, unless you hold down the backspace key for 2 seconds to get out of the redirect.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Ah, right, true. X.x

Personally when I use redirect domain names or sub-domains I prefer to not use a frame-based one. For the ones I have I simply load a page that automatically forwards to another. The downside with that, though, is that in some browsers, if you want to click back it keeps redirecting you to the website you were on, unless you hold down the backspace key for 2 seconds to get out of the redirect.
Indeed, I tried several such approaches back in the day in a desperate attempt to avoid having to give up my .tk domain, but in the end it just wasn't worth it at all.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours