After almost 2 months of delays, fedora 18 is finally here! I'm really glad to see this coming, as in brings access to a bunch of updated software in the repos. It also has the mate desktop environment in the repos.

What is your take on the release? Will you be upgrading or trying it out? I know I will.

Source: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/01/15/1554253/fedora-18-released
I'll be honest, I've never really been a fan of fedora. I started off with 16 and then decided that I'd rather use crunchbang. A mate desktop, however, does seem quite promising.
In my opinion, Fedora peaked around version 14, then it started going downhill by F15. I blame GNOME 3 and its ilk.

Now those crazy GUI developers think that all computers are tablets/phones! (Just take a look at F18's awful installer.)
christop wrote:
In my opinion, Fedora peaked around version 14, then it started going downhill by F15. I blame GNOME 3 and its ilk.

Now those crazy GUI developers think that all computers are tablets/phones! (Just take a look at F18's awful installer.)

Quite right. GNOME really is a shadow of its former self. I like XFCE because it's lightweight and still uses the GTK.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours