KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
I say we all do the best we can in helping Kerm get new ideas, and especially bug and beta test the future DCS version. I for one and all up for it, and next year, he will win. Smile
Why, do you feel Doors CS still has a lot of bugs? I don't feel like there are a whole lot more DCS versions coming, both because of things like this, because it gets 50 downloads a week vs. MirageOS's 2000-3000 per week on ticalc.org, and it's really been basically a waste of a decade of my life. I appreciate you guys' support, it's just hard to fight against the world. :/

I don't think it has bugs, that was saying in the event some are found, and we can overthrow MirageOS, we just need the whole community here to pitch in a few downloads over there, even just to delete them, to get the downloads up and have it more noticed. ;D
Raylin, Sonlen, don't mistake my post for wallowing in self-pity, that's not my intent. MirageOS has such a strong hold over the calculator user world that it feels a bit futile to try to overcome its long reputation and fame.

Edit: And this POTY compounds that feeling of futility.
KermMartian wrote:
Raylin, Sonlen, don't mistake my post for wallowing in self-pity, that's not my intent. MirageOS has such a strong hold over the calculator user world that it feels a bit futile to try to overcome its long reputation and fame.

Edit: And this POTY compounds that feeling of futility.

I never once took anything you said as self-pity, besides, the goal of overcoming MirageOS might be huge, but think of what will happen if you do pull it off?
yeah, it really sucks considering MOS has plenty of bugs on it's own. It does not help that too many people recommend using it if you look at toutorials on how to send games to a calc Sad
qazz42 wrote:
yeah, it really sucks considering MOS has plenty of bugs on it's own. It does not help that too many people recommend using it if you look at toutorials on how to send games to a calc Sad
I guess a solution would be to write some new tutorials, then. Also, I think some YouTube videos like "How to Play Mario on Your Calculator", "How To Play Tetris on Your Calculator", etc would help.
Sorry to hear about the POTY results, but I am 200% sure you'll win the next one. Smile

KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
I guess a solution would be to write some new tutorials, then. Also, I think some YouTube videos like "How to Play Mario on Your Calculator", "How To Play Tetris on Your Calculator", etc would help.

I think this is a great idea, and I'll be happy to assist in any way possible.
I'm really sorry that it turned out like that. I feel that DCS has so many more features than Axe. And I think it did turn into sort of a popularity contest, which is the thing that really shouldn't have happened. I also think that the POTY sometimes is not the best thing to do, because it causes a "My program is better than all of yours" to happen. And it places unfair bias in the hands of the community. Again, I'm sorry this happened, but please don't give up. Every day I get up and get on here to see what new progress you and everyone else has made, and I'd hate for that to stop Sad
Thanks _player, you've done a great job as a gMod these past months, and I appreciate the support. Smile

@Souvik, awesome, I'll let you know!
This topic reminds me of this: http://byuu.org/articles/bsnes-future
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
This topic reminds me of this: http://byuu.org/articles/bsnes-future
I don't think that's like it at all. Laughing I didn't say I was giving up Doors CS, just that there's not a whole lot of places I want to go with the shell itself at this point.
Byuu's not giving up on bsnes either...he's just making it more of a private project because there's almost no public support for bsnes.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Byuu's not giving up on bsnes either...he's just making it more of a private project because there's almost no public support for bsnes.
I'm going to continue marketing Doors CS aggressively; I didn't get where I am by sitting back and waiting for other people to notice my work (as controversial as that approach sometimes is). Wink
Quote:
We love you, Kerm
^ this, Doors CS, SourceCoder and your many other projects and releases. I myself use Doors CS7 pretty often and I got pretty close to vote for it. I was shocked at how many votes Axe got compared to Doors CS7, because I expected something more even, but nonetheless Doors CS7 still got lots of votes. I think one huge factor in Axe popularity was that many BASIC programmers dreamed for such language for many years, although I am kinda disapointed that every year, some people goes "I'm voting for <program> because I like <site/person name>.". This happened to Illusiat 81. I'm OK if someone vote for his own program, if he spent a lot of effort on it, but otherwise I believe people need to be honest when they vote, and vote for which program they think it's the best or greatest achievement. Since I believe that Illusiat 81, despite being a feat by TI-81 BASIC standards, did not require a lot of effort compared to Unity, I voted for the latter.

Anyway congrats Kerm for 2nd place, Quigibo for 1st, likewise for other categories, but most importantly, to everyone who got recognized in ticalc.org news articles for their contribution to the community.

Also Kerm don't give up on Doors or any of your other projects. Smile
Get over it Kerm. You could use a little setback to keep your ego in check in my opinion. I'm not a Doors CS fan, but am open to using it someday if some changes are made (although I have never liked the name much since it sounds kind of "dorky" (literally)). I do use your sourcecoder website a lot, so props for that. There really is nothing else like it out there.

That being said, I don't think that being the most "prolific" author out there is anything to brag about, especially in your case. When I look through your 313 programs, I see DoorsCS7 (which has a lot of merit), and some other things that would be useful if I wanted to make a calculator network or type my master's thesis on my calculator... But the other 95% of your programs are "crappy BASIC progs that really are of no real use but to get himself like 3 more downloads" (citation: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/10/104/104103.html). I have more respect for less-"prolific" authors like Patrick Davidson and Sam Heald, who have fewer programs of much higher quality.

P.S. People above, you can't really say DoorsCS7 has more (or less) features than Axe, since they are entirely different things. kthanks

-Rhett
Hmm, just as an advice, but your comment might be taken more seriously if it did not contain "Rhett" or "Langseth" (in your case, the former). Razz
calc_user wrote:
Get over it Kerm. You could use a little setback to keep your ego in check in my opinion.
...on what evidence is my ego not in check?
Quote:
I'm not a Doors CS fan, but am open to using it someday if some changes are made (although I have never liked the name much since it sounds kind of "dorky" (literally)).
I made plenty of changes. I don't get paid to do this, and I have no motivation to work on things other than my own satisfaction and happiness.
Quote:
I do use your sourcecoder website a lot, so props for that. There really is nothing else like it out there.
Thanks.

Quote:
That being said, I don't think that being the most "prolific" author out there is anything to brag about, especially in your case. When I look through your 313 programs, I see DoorsCS7 (which has a lot of merit), and some other things that would be useful if I wanted to make a calculator network or type my master's thesis on my calculator... But the other 95% of your programs are "crappy BASIC progs that really are of no real use but to get himself like 3 more downloads" (citation: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/10/104/104103.html). I have more respect for less-"prolific" authors like Patrick Davidson and Sam Heald, who have fewer programs of much higher quality.
I'm glad you're able to critique peoples' programs qualities given your widely-ridiculed (at least among us coders) "Mario" game.
calc_user wrote:
Get over it Kerm. You could use a little setback to keep your ego in check in my opinion. I'm not a Doors CS fan, but am open to using it someday if some changes are made (although I have never liked the name much since it sounds kind of "dorky" (literally)). I do use your sourcecoder website a lot, so props for that. There really is nothing else like it out there.

P.S. People above, you can't really say DoorsCS7 has more (or less) features than Axe, since they are entirely different things. kthanks

-Rhett

Son?
calc_user wrote:

-Rhett

BAHAHAHA, this is just so funny and unfitting. First you make a horrible program ridiculed by 90% of coders and users. you call it mario to be a download-WHORE. Finally, when someone (Kerm) exposes in a review how incredibly fail your program is, you get a friend to write a crappy review of a 10 year, highly popular, rightfully names, and extremely efficient program. You Sir have no right to start judging a program when you yourself have almost no programming skill what so ever. So please Sir, leave the community now before you make yourself look more like an a and vas au diablo. So, to sum it up, please dont talk s*** about things you have no expertise on.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

I hear there is this fantastic website that is partially dedicated to tutorial hosting and the like. Maybe someone could get something written to post there Wink
Speaking of which, I should make a video tutorial on how to send the real Mario game for the calculators.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours