Last night I made a game that is based off of the iDevice game Itotooshi, which is also called Itotooshi. I have uploaded this program to the Cemetech archives, and I will also upload it to ticalc.org soon.

Copy and pasted from the readme:
Readme wrote:

About the game- Itotooshi is a game where you control a string and try to get it into the circles. This is a DoorsCS game, so you will need
DoorsCS to run it. Run prgmTHRDNDLE to play the game.

Controls- Press 2nd to make the string go up, release it to go down.
At the starup screen, you can press [+] or [-] to adjust the speed. A lower number is faster than a greater number.
YOu can also press [DEL] to reset the highscore.

Developer: The source code is in prgmA00THR, and needs Axe v0.4.4 or greater to compile. You can compile for other shells like Ion or MirageOS
too when you compile the source code.http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/games/Itotooshi-1.0.zip

DoorsCS: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/shells/dcs7.zip

Download link: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/games/Itotooshi.zip
Download for v0.2: http://www.usaupload.net/d/rk9yx2fdcui

Download for 0.5: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/games/Itotooshi-0.5.zip

Download for 1.0: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/games/Itotooshi-1.0.zip

Download for DCS header make for Axe: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/basic/programs/DCS_Axe_header_maker.zip

Aww, no screenshots. Smile Sounds like a lot of fun, though; I'll definitely hope to try it in the next few days. I'd also be happy to take the screenshots if you're unable.
KermMartian wrote:
Aww, no screenshots. Smile Sounds like a lot of fun, though; I'll definitely hope to try it in the next few days. I'd also be happy to take the screenshots if you're unable.

Feel free to take the screenshots, and thanks. Smile
Here you go:

Some suggestions
(1) When you die, you should go back to the main menu, not to the desktop, imho
(2) Controls are too sensitive? (alternative idea:) Add variable acceleration, where lower acceleration would be easier?
(3) The main menu needs to mention that [2nd] is the only key you need, especially if the program is distributed without its readme from calculator to calculator
(4) Custom icon?
KermMartian wrote:
(4) Custom icon?
Axe doesn't support custom icons yet AFAIK.
JosJuice wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
(4) Custom icon?
I keep hearing random people saying that a tutorial was posted somewhere, and others saying it hasn't been done. Then again, no one bothered telling me when a MobileTunes notes.inc for Mimas was posted either or crossposting here, so I'm not surprised. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
JosJuice wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
(4) Custom icon?
I keep hearing random people saying that a tutorial was posted somewhere, and others saying it hasn't been done. Then again, no one bothered telling me when a MobileTunes notes.inc for Mimas was posted either or crossposting here, so I'm not surprised. Wink
Making a custom icon in Axe may be possible by using typing hex code into the program. The compiler, however, always tries to slap on the default Axe logo if MOS or DCS is selected.
JosJuice, good to know. What if you set it as a nostub program, then inserted the hex for the DCS header?
Then it would probably be possible to make a custom icon.
JosJuice wrote:
Then it would probably be possible to make a custom icon.
Good to know, thanks for that clarification. Anyway, what do others think of Souvik's game? Souvik, what about my suggestions?
KermMartian wrote:
Here you go:

Some suggestions
(1) When you die, you should go back to the main menu, not to the desktop, imho
(2) Controls are too sensitive? (alternative idea:) Add variable acceleration, where lower acceleration would be easier?
(3) The main menu needs to mention that [2nd] is the only key you need, especially if the program is distributed without its readme from calculator to calculator
(4) Custom icon?

Alright, I added all of that except for numbers 2 and 4. Would you mind explaining number 2 a little more?
I found that holding [2nd] makes my (character?) accelerate upwards very swiftly, and that releasing [2nd] makes my character accelerate downwards very swiftly. I'm assuming that you're storing position and velocity, and making the holding or release of the 2nd key apply a positive or negative constant acceleration, right? I'm suggesting that there be an easier mode where that constant is closer to zero, for example -5 and 5 pixels per second per second instead of -10 and 10 pixels per second per second.
KermMartian wrote:
I found that holding [2nd] makes my (character?) accelerate upwards very swiftly, and that releasing [2nd] makes my character accelerate downwards very swiftly. I'm assuming that you're storing position and velocity, and making the holding or release of the 2nd key apply a positive or negative constant acceleration, right? I'm suggesting that there be an easier mode where that constant is closer to zero, for example -5 and 5 pixels per second per second instead of -10 and 10 pixels per second per second.

I am doing acceleration by doing this:

Code:

If <2nd key is pressed>
0->C
A-B->A
B+1->B
End

If <2nd key is not pressed>
0->B
A+C->A
C+1->C
End

If I made the acceleration less sensitive, I would have to do things like "B+.5->B" and I've heard that floating point numbers in Axe are hard to manipulate. Do you have any psuedocode to do this without floating point numbers?
One thing you could do is maintain a variable that can either be 1 or 0, call it T. Every iteration, you could set 1-T->T, which will make it alternate between 1 and 0. Then you could only do the acceleration conditionals when T=1, which will make them happen half as often, ie, every other frame instead of every frame. If you wanted to have two difficulties, you could Have a second variable, call it D, which is 1 for easy mode and 0 for hard mode. Then, initialized T to 1, and use If D:1-T->T. That will make it accelerate every frame in hard mode.
Hmm, that doesn't seem hard at all. I'll definitely add that, thanks for your help. Very Happy

Has anyone else tried this?
You could try and do something like this: have your variable for acceleration be 256 times the real value, and then add small amounts to it. Then when it comes time to adding the velocity and the X or Y value, divide the velocity by 256 and you get a normal number. And also maybe have a variable stating whether you are going up or down. (Simply because it seems hard to manipulate negative numbers with this method) I hope that makes sense >.> If it doesn't, I can try to do some pseudocode, or try to make it easier to understand Smile
souvik1997 wrote:
Hmm, that doesn't seem hard at all. I'll definitely add that, thanks for your help. Very Happy

Has anyone else tried this?
Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard at all. I agree that people should try out your game; it's a novel concept, and decently fun to boot.

Edit: @_player, good thinking!
I've added the slower acceleration, and a couple more things to make the game more fun.

-An inverted screen
-Making the game get progressively harder
-Randomly switching between fast and slow modes after going through a circle.
Sounds like lots of fun! I'm not sure how your increasing difficulty works, but it occurred to me while reading your post that one thing you could do is make the hoops appear closer and closer together as you progress.
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds like lots of fun! I'm not sure how your increasing difficulty works, but it occurred to me while reading your post that one thing you could do is make the hoops appear closer and closer together as you progress.

That is exactly how it works.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours