ummm... did you change your website Kerm? The chat is all screwed up! It keeps saying "Warning: Dupe Aborted" what does that mean?
bspymaster wrote:
ummm... did you change your website Kerm? The chat is all screwed up! It keeps saying "Warning: Dupe Aborted" what does that mean?
Generally that means that SAX encountered a network error trying to access Cemetech or that some other network problem occurred. Just mash F5 to refresh the misbehaving page and you should be fine.
And get Firefox or Google Chrome
qazz42 wrote:
And get Firefox or Google Chrome
Oh, you think he's using Internet Explorer? That's a good point.
Considering I have only gotten the Dupe aborted error when using IE, I would say yes
qazz42 wrote:
Considering I have only gotten the Dupe aborted error when using IE, I would say yes
Ah, that makes sense. I'd imagine its general lack of standards-compliance makes all kinds of AJAXy things break. Sad
Yeah, I defiantly cannot think of a time that I got dupe aborted whilst using FF or GC
I never got Dupe Aborted on any of the four browsers I use: IE8, Firefox 3.5, Google Chrome, or Mobile Safari.
I get it the MOST on my school computers which has a version of IE that I last used on my Dinosaur [/oldjokenotfunnybutsayitanway]
qazz42 wrote:
I get it the MOST on my school computers which has a version of IE that I last used on my Dinosaur [/oldjokenotfunnybutsayitanway]
I'd imagine that they are running either IE 7 or IE 6. At any rate, bspymaster, can you give us some more details about your problems in case they're persisting?
Pf, IE6 I think. It is the one that does not have tabs. And yes, do post in the topic you made Razz
Midori is the one true browser.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. I'd imagine its general lack of standards-compliance makes all kinds of AJAXy things break. Sad

Given that IE invented AJAX that shouldn't be an issue. Razz I intermittently receive the error in Opera too, though as you say a refresh usually fixes it.

Edit: IE added the W3C object to complement its ActiveX implementation in IE 7, so for very ancient versions you'll need to fall back to new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") instead of new XMLHttpRequest() - saxjax.js does contain this workaround, however. Why people are still using a web browser that is nearly 10 years old is beyond me, though.
I think a lot of the problem is that if one wants to support IE properly, one needs to work with the lowest common denominator that's running IE6 on Windows XP; that's certainly the version for which I went through the pain of having to deal with things as rudimentary as making transparent PNGs work (see also: pngfix.js).
KermMartian wrote:
I think a lot of the problem is that if one wants to support IE properly, one needs to work with the lowest common denominator that's running IE6 on Windows XP

That doesn't really work as IE 6 is not a lowest common denominator as that would assume that IE 7, 8 and 9 render in a similar fashion. IE 6 is outright broken in many instances so I find it's best to code to standards and then load patches (using conditional comments) to work around IE 6's specific brand of madness at the very end of the project. This is an issue Microsoft ran into with the release of IE 7 as many sites were coded to serve all versions of IE broken code (to deal with the broken IE 6) so they provided a way to set a header to switch the renderer into a compatibility mode to aid migration to a more standards-compliant era. I see Cemetech is using this to force IE to render sites in IE 8 mode (even when using IE 9).

I just checked the 24 most recent websites I developed - 15 of them have IE 6-specific fixes and 6 have IE 7-specific fixes (most of these fixes are CSS files about five lines long). None of them have IE 8-specific fixes. Most of the IE 6 fixes are handled by a bit of JavaScript that adds a first-child class to all "first-children" (so I need to include a style rule for p:first-child and p.first-child, for example) with a similar fix for :hover. The rest of the fixes are either for link colours or the rare "double margins" bug that occasionally afflicts IE 7 or IE 6. I rarely use alpha-blended PNGs as GIFs tend to come out smaller.

If you're interacting with the web browser directly from JavaScript then I'd recommend checking out the excellent MooTools which neatly abstracts various browser differences into a very clean and elegant API.
Thanks for the suggestion, BenRyves; I'll be sure to check it out. And wow, the 24 most recent websites you've developed? Impressive!
I use safari. and the Dupe aborted thingy is still going on. below all the "dupe aborted"s stuff there seems to be a chat session from a while ago. Every time you refresh the page, the same chat session goes on and no one seems to be on it. or joining or posting in the forum. As for the website theme, it looks WAY worse (no offense Kerm) than what it looks like now. It changes theme to this once you log in and there are broken links at the top (i.e. Home, Archives, Projects, etc. Also, when your mouse hovers over a link, a red pointer hand appears as your cursor with the cemetech logo under that. I think thet the website is somehow taking me to an older version of the site and everything is freaking out because the site shouldn't exsist any more. I'll try to post some screen shots. I'll also try firefox and F5...

F5 does nothing.

Firefox freaks out and says:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Images are here:
http://web.me.com/twodomers/pix/

Please note that in the "Logged in" picture, there are "dupe aborted" messages.

Oh. n the website is temporary. I couldn't find any other way to give you guys the pix.
For me, Chrome doesn't do anything when I click Pop Out. It actually seems to redirect, but it stops after about a second, and I'm still on the same page.
I didn't click "pop out" i clicked "log in" and i've noticed that as well.

I'm definitely getting an older version. The copywrite at the bottom says 2000-2005 when I'm logged in. Whem I'm logged out, it says 2000-2010. urg. Mad
You are using an older theme. Go to your profile settings and choose Cemetech6 as the theme.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours