I've never heard of stranger name for a group of people! So what do Cemetechians think of this movement. I support like 75 percent of what they say, because it makes sense to me. I live in an EXTREMELY Liberal town in a liberal state, but I think these people are on to something. If you don't know what this is, just go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement It pretty much explains what they are. There's a whole website too. I feel that these are going to be labeled as extremists in the election this year in November. Their cause is another one that PROBABLY will bite the dust. Their ideas seem pretty out there, but they make more sense than the crap that is going on now. What happened to the "transparent" government Obama promised. Some crazy **** is going on in that cabinet and in that house. I feel insecure under this Obama Administration, and if the Congress moves to balance out the Executive branch, that would make me feel A WHOLE LOT BETTER. Anyway, that's it.
fail party is fail
Situation compared in America is nothing compared to our instability. Razz

The government went down about six months ago, there were elections in June, and there's still virtually no progress in the preformation. You read that right, they haven't even started creating a new government. Aah, Belgium...

On-topic: From what I read about the Tea Party, I don't agree with them. Not that I've spent much time forming my opinion, as a non-American this does not directly concern me.
It seems like more Conservative party line disguised as something new. Sheep go baaaa.
The problem with Conservatives (and I say this as a very wide and very encompassing generalization upon anything remotely associated with this party) is that they emphasize economic freedoms while simultaneously maintaining a "moral" coalition opposed to personal freedoms. (e.g., same-sex marriage, abortion, etc.)

The Libertarian party is somewhat guilty of the same; though, they mostly place an undue emphasis on economic freedoms while making dismissive or cryptic judgments about social issues.

Until a group of self-identified Conservatives approach me and declare their unconditional support for same-sex marriage, a secular state, abortion rights and other "unsavory" things, I'm just not going to buy all this nonsense they're spinning about constitutionality. Where are all these protesters to be found when a state outlaws same-sex marriage? I'm pretty sure that counts as a blatant violation of constitutional freedoms; but I'm sure they're more concerned with pinching pennies on their tax returns than furthering any agenda of human rights.
I think I agree with Zera. But I'd like to see the new a**hole Kllrnoj rips this topic first...
Zera wrote:
I'm pretty sure that counts as a blatant violation of constitutional freedoms; but I'm sure they're more concerned with pinching pennies on their tax returns than furthering any agenda of human rights.
Ouch, well-said, since that's the general opinion I've formed based on what I've seen and read so far on the topic. I too look forward to seeing what Kllrnohj has to say, DShiznit.
The problem with the Tea Party is that most of the constitutionalist furor that Ron Paul supporters managed to raise during the primaries was among people who didn't understand the philosophy at all, and were easily coopted back into the Republican party (under a new name). I will say that I'm glad Republicans are swinging away from neo-conservatism though.

Zera wrote:
Until a group of self-identified Conservatives approach me and declare their unconditional support for same-sex marriage, a secular state, abortion rights and other "unsavory" things, I'm just not going to buy all this nonsense they're spinning about constitutionality.

I would describe myself as socially-and-environmentally-responsible, morally-and-fiscally-conservative libertarian constitutionalist. I am unconditionally opposed to the federal government regulating marriage in any form, but support civil unions (ala medieval French affrerement) for any household that can show themselves to be a financially responsible entity. I unconditionally support the separation of church and state where the government promotes the open acceptance and practice of all faith traditions as part of our basic human freedoms, and not a secular government that actively discourages the public practice of any faith tradition. I am mostly opposed to abortion rights (though certainly not in black & white) on the grounds that they infringe on the personal freedoms of unborn children and encourage personal irresponsibility.
The Tea Party is just a group of misinformed cause-heads looking for any excuse to beat their drums. Drawing lines through the party's supporters won't spare it from the shame of its own failures. Scapegoating Ron Paul-supporters is an especially transparent red-herring at that, and a desperate attempt at salvaging a positive reputation which never existed in the first place. If you're wise, you'll just move on to other things and stop associating yourself with Conservative acts. They always either consist of demagogues and sensationalists, or self-entitled pricks who believe they've worked harder than everyone else.
The tea party is batshit insane, BUT they could do something interesting. They are the closest anyone has gotten to breaking the two party system we have. Although I suspect the movement will die out within a couple of years. Republicans are just using it to hide behind after everyone was pissed at them for screwing up the economy and sending the country down the toilet during their 6 years of terror (I think they had majority control + presidency for 6 years anyway).
Kllrnohj wrote:
The tea party is batshit insane, BUT they could do something interesting. They are the closest anyone has gotten to breaking the two party system we have. Although I suspect the movement will die out within a couple of years. Republicans are just using it to hide behind after everyone was pissed at them for screwing up the economy and sending the country down the toilet during their 6 years of terror (I think they had majority control + presidency for 6 years anyway).
And obviously from that you consider riling up the two-party system a bit to be a good thing?
I'd like to see how this third party effects things too. I'd been saying for well over a year they could split the Republicans like the whigs, and recently I've heard Keith Olbermann and others echoing that same sentiment.
Zera wrote:
The Tea Party is just a group of misinformed cause-heads looking for any excuse to beat their drums. Drawing lines through the party's supporters won't spare it from the shame of its own failures. Scapegoating Ron Paul-supporters is an especially transparent red-herring at that, and a desperate attempt at salvaging a positive reputation which never existed in the first place. If you're wise, you'll just move on to other things and stop associating yourself with Conservative acts. They always either consist of demagogues and sensationalists, or self-entitled pricks who believe they've worked harder than everyone else.

Did you even read my post? Because other than the mention of Ron Paul (which doesn't even really fit with what I said about his supporters, of which I am one, or their impact on the Tea Party) it seems like you missed everything I said.

Quote:
I'd like to see how this third party effects things too. I'd been saying for well over a year they could split the Republicans like the whigs, and recently I've heard Keith Olbermann and others echoing that same sentiment.

The Republican party of today is a mish-mash of closet libertarians, paleoconservatives, neoconservatives/ex-Southern Democrats, nativists, and Christians who consider a strong stance against abortion and gay marriage to be the most important issues to vote on. The Tea Party is a fairly non-cohesive revolt against the influence the neoconservatives have had over the party in recent years. The most vocal representation of this discontent has been from some of the more ardent nativists who are have more or less coopted the term "Tea Party."
The party is a little extreme I must say. It is SUPER conservative. Being a Midwest boy, I feel for them. Their ideals match what I've been told is right my whole life.
BTW, lots of replies makes it cool. Just Joking
If you were told all your life that the Jews were evil and the holocaust was the greatest achievement of mankind(I know someone who's actually been raised to believe this) would you join the Nazi party?
adept wrote:
The party is a little extreme I must say. It is SUPER conservative. Being a Midwest boy, I feel for them. Their ideals match what I've been told is right my whole life.
BTW, lots of replies makes it cool. Just Joking

Here are their main political stances, as per the "Contract from America"

Quote:
1. Adopt a single-rate tax system: Adopt a single-rate tax system by rewriting the Internal Revenue Code. (64.9%)
2. Permanently repeal recent tax increases: Permanently repeal all recent tax increases, and extend current temporary reductions in income tax, capital gains tax and estate taxes, currently scheduled to end in 2011. (53.38%)
3. Authorize drilling of American petroleum reserves: Authorize the use of American petroleum reserves to reduce American dependence on foreign oil. (55.5%)
4. Reject Environmental Policy of emissions trading: Reject the "Cap and Trade" system of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, which provides economic incentives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. (72.20%)
5. Limit annual growth of Federal spending: Impose a statutory cap limiting the annual growth in total federal spending to the sum of the inflation rate plus the percentage of population growth. (56.57%)
6. Audit federal agencies by creating a "blue ribbon" task force: Create a "blue ribbon" task force to audit federal agencies and programs, "assess their Constitutionality"(traditionally the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Justice), and promote fiscal efficiency. (63.37%)
7. Repeal recent Health Care Reform legislation: Repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. (56.39%)
8. Constitutional Amendment requiring a super-majority for tax code modification: Amend the constitution to require a congressional super-majority (2/3 of votes) for tax code modification. (69.69%)
9. Earmark moratorium and super-majority requirement: Place a moratorium on all earmarks until the federal budget is balanced, and then require super-majority (2/3 of votes) to pass any earmark. (55.47%)
10. Require all future legislation to pass a "Constitutionality Test": Require all future legislation to identify the Constitutional provision that makes bill legal (traditionally the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Justice). (82.03%)

Of these, only 3 and 4 really bother me, though the changes to tax law will also require a significant cut for the DoD budget, to react to the curtailed budget, which I think most of them would be opposed to. The other really negative side of their politics is revealed through polls (and not officially supported party policy, if such a thing exists within the Tea Party), which show Tea Party supporters to be significantly more likely than the rest of the population to harbor racial resentments, and
Quote:
73% of Tea Party supporters disapprove of President Obama's policy of engaging with Muslim countries, 88% approve of the controversial immigration law recently enacted in Arizona, 82% do not believe that gay and lesbian couples should have the legal right to marry, and that about 52% believed that "lesbians and gays have too much political power."

Contrary to what a lot of people would have you believe, polls have also shown them (on average) to have a higher level of education than the general public.
Quote:
Contrary to what a lot of people would have you believe, polls have also shown them (on average) to have a higher level of education than the general public.

Interesting... Could you link to the place where you found those stats? I'm not really inclined to believe this, actually. (no offense to you, elf)
Mapar007 wrote:
Quote:

Interesting... Could you link to the place where you found those stats? I'm not really inclined to believe this, actually. (no offense to you, elf)

The NY Times/CBS Poll discussed here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15mbox.html?fta=y
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/04/14/us/politics/20100414-tea-party-poll-graphic.html?ref=politics#tab=9

Tea Party, All respondent, Difference wrote:
Education
Not a high school graduate 3 % 12 % –9
High school graduate 26 35 –9
Some college education 33 28 +5
College graduate 23 15 +8
Post-graduate 14 10 +4

The only area where the general public has a higher percentage is in people who didn't graduate high school, and people who only graduated high school.
Zera wrote:

From your statement, the only thing I read was 'I listen to everything that the media and the internet tells me and believe it to be 100% true and shouldn't be questioned.'

If you took a look at that ever so wonderful health care bill, REALLY took a look at it, you will see why there are so many people up in arms about it. I for one want it repealed. I want it utterly destroyed, and something that doesn't include a bunch of shady add ons, and only deals with the health care system to take its place.
tifreak8x wrote:
If you took a look at that ever so wonderful health care bill, REALLY took a look at it, you will see why there are so many people up in arms about it.
For the sake of strengthening your argument, would you mind instantiating some of those points here?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours