Jonathan Coulton is an artist who I have been a fan of for quite a while now. I first learned about him in Popular Science when his site was mentioned. Since then, I've absolutely fallen in love (to use a somewhat gay phrase) with music and have frequented/commented on his site for a year or two now, one of his few loyal fans. Anyway, he recently quit his job as a software engineer to do his own stuff fulltime. One of the things he decided to do was "Thing A Week" where he releases one musical piece per week. This week's song was a cover of the Sir Mix-a-lot song "Baby Got Back" ("I like big butts and I cannot lie"). The song became an instant hit, and in one day his site received 12,000 hits (as opposed to the usual 10 or so).

The song itself is remarkable in how different it is from the original Baby Got Back, because it's sung in a slow soulful fashion rather than rapped, and it sounds very different, and yet very powerful in its own right. It's a bit long, but this is because it is sung so slow while the original was much faster. It follows that typical "Jonathan Coulton sings songs by black people" style, and it is very pleasing to listen to. Link: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/
I've heard of him, I'm gonna have to check it out.
Personally, I don't even think that it's his best song, but I decided to review it since this was his big break - his first hit song.
Fair enough. So everyone but you liked it? Very Happy Just Joking

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours