rohi89 wrote:
sorry about the double post. i typed something wrong on the first one. i tried to delete it...but i didnt know where to....sorry about this Sad

Edit: what are determinants anyways?

Once again, you double posted Wink
may I suggest using the huge "X" button near the edit button to delete your post if you know you made a double post
Determinants are related to matrices.
Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant
For() : For loops are loops that go from START to END counting by STEP. To use them, do this:
Code:
For(Variable,START,END,STEP)
Here is a practical use of them: Display the numbers 1-100:
Code:
For(A,1,100,1)
Disp A
End
By the way, the STEP can be omitted if you want to step by 1. The above code could be written as:
Code:
For(A,1,100)
Disp A
End

Fpart() : This returns the Fractional PART of a number. Such as, if you had:

Code:
Disp Fpart(1.1
Disp Fpart(2.2
Disp Fpart(2.34135412
Disp Fpart(1234.12345
Which would return (respectively):
Code:
qazz42 i dont know how i am double posting on the replies!
Rohi89, the definition of a "double post" is two posts made by the same person less than 24 hours apart in the same thread. You did that already, twice. It's not like it's the end of the world. It's just proper netiquette. If you have something to add to your post, please use the edit button. It looks like:
I would highly recommend omnicalc/symbolic for this. It has a square root simplifier and a numStr() function which you can use length() on to get the amount of digits in a number.
souvik1997 wrote:
I would highly recommend omnicalc/symbolic for this. It has a square root simplifier and a numStr() function which you can use length() on to get the amount of digits in a number.

I still vote for the opposite. This would (could) be a good learning situation for him.
rohi89 wrote:
qazz42 i dont know how i am double posting on the replies!

After you made a post, you made another one without waiting for a response the the former post. that is a double post. And usually double posting like that without waiting 12-24 hours can be considered flood. Use the edit button as tanner said.

(Also, using good capitalization is preferred too, just saying)
I have downloaded Omnicalc onto my TI-84, and i tried to make a simple program which can simplify a square root, but unfortunately i can't use omnicalc in my program. Is there a way to still use omnicalc?
You need to install it, run the Omnicalc app. Then press Prgm (the key) twice to get to the Omnicalc menu. Then you can choose the command you want to use.
This is a programming language. You should write an algorithm using the commands that you have access to.

√(X) = √(A*B) = √(A)√(B), which simplifies whenever A is a perfect square.

Keep dividing your X by square numbers until one of the results has no fractional part. That will be your B.

Whether it's the smallest B is left as an exercise for the reader.
Weregoose wrote:
This is a programming language. You should write an algorithm using the commands that you have access to.

√(X) = √(A*B) = √(A)√(B), which simplifies whenever A is a perfect square.

Keep dividing your X by square numbers until one of the results has no fractional part. That will be your B.

Whether it's the smallest B is left as an exercise for the reader.
This. You can do this in a few dozen bytes instead of taking the dozens of kilobytes required for Omnicalc. Plus, if you're going to jam a big App into your Archive, it should of course be Doors CS. Smile
So kermmartian do you want me to use ombicalc or not? If you do want me to use it, how can it be used in my program
rohi89 wrote:
So kermmartian do you want me to use ombicalc or not? If you do want me to use it, how can it be used in my program
I think you should learn to do it properly, using the algorithm that Weregoose presented. Smile
rohi89 wrote:

He answered the question, he (we actually) would think it is good if you learn to do it with pure basic first, then you can try it with omnicalc, so no need to make 2 posts with the same exact question.
How can I make a program that can simplify radicals?
That's the big question, isn't it? Ask it to yourself, experiment with what you remember from school, research what you've forgotten, and come up with a procedure that works.

You're given √(X), and the task is rewriting it as √(X) = Y√(Z) with Z as small as possible. When you divide √(X) by √(Z), you'll get Y. Find a Z that produces a Y with nothing after the decimal point.

√(X)/√(Z) = Y
√(63)/√(2) = 5.612486080
√(63)/√(3) = 4.582575695
√(63)/√(4) = 3.968626967
√(63)/√(5) = 3.549647870
√(63)/√(6) = 3.240370349
√(63)/√(7) = 3

Remember that √(X) = Y√(Z), and rearrange:

√(63) = 3√(7)

There's your algorithm. Make it work for any input.
rohi89 wrote:
What's with the identical double post? Razz Are you using a computer or another device to post? Also, you can just call me Kerm, and it's *Omnicalc, not "ombicalc".
Weregoose, could he perhaps use the following algorithm?
Find the square root of X and round down.
For a Y starting at that value and going down to 1, divide X by Y^2 and see if it's an integer.
Stop when you find a Y meeting those conditions.
sqrt(X) simplified, then, is Y*sqrt(X/Y^2)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours