I assume that if RAM doesn't specifically say DDR, then it is not, and therefore isn't the same as one that is DDR. In that case, no, the RAM are not the same type.
@graph: no, it's an Antivirusish feature. Smile

_player1537 wrote:
I assume that if RAM doesn't specifically say DDR, then it is not, and therefore isn't the same as one that is DDR. In that case, no, the RAM are not the same type.
Do you have model numbers, sticker numbers, or something for both old and new RAM that I can JFGI?
Yup, let me get those real quick. Old:
Code:
PC3200U-30330
256mb DDR 400 mhz cl3
hymd532646cp6j-d43 aa
New:
Code:
1gb 1Rx8 PC2 - 6400U - 12
HYMP112U64CP8 - S6 AB
On the new, there is another sticker:
Code:
8608C6 <hp logo> 7H9XKW8
P/N 404574 - 888
graphmastur wrote:
Wait, what is Trend ChipAwayVirus(R). Is it a virus?
I'm gonna guess yes but google most likely knows for sure.
Old RAM: PC3200 DDR 400 184-pin
New RAM: PC6400 DDR2 800

See the problem? Smile
DDR vs DDR2?
DDR vs DDR2, also 400MHz vs. 800MHz. I'm surprised they even fit into the same slot.
I've had similar problems with a computer. My laptop from the mid-80's had a hard disk controller failure. I had to boot up into DOS from a disk, then run my Disk Manager program. I now have a simple 19-step checklist to go through to boot it up and have the hard-drive work! Razz Its really not all that bad.
I say that it is ALWAYS worth it to save a computer.
I agree that it's definitely worth it to save the computer, but you didn't read that carefully; we moved on from DShiznit's problem. Now we're helping tanner understand RAM.
Also, how much RAM does the Motherboard support?
Lucas W wrote:
Also, how much RAM does the Motherboard support?
An excellent question. Once you find RAM that is the proper type and timing, be sure you're not exceeding the capacity that the mobo can support.
As best I can tell from Google, Trend ChipAway Virus is a bios-level utility that stops boot sector viruses. It hasn't caused any problems yet so I'll let it be.
DShiznit wrote:
As best I can tell from Google, Trend ChipAway Virus is a bios-level utility that stops boot sector viruses. It hasn't caused any problems yet so I'll let it be.
Yeah, that's more or less what my research had revealed as well. Smile
It actually sounds rather useful, but without any way to update itself beyond '01 it would be meaningless against today's threats.
DShiznit wrote:
It actually sounds rather useful, but without any way to update itself beyond '01 it would be meaningless against today's threats.
I suppose so, considering how much more complex today's threats can be. I assume that planned obsolescence was their mission statement. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours