I've decieded to become myself and create a personal website; for blogging, misc. photos and other things. Bringing my site count to two. This second site will be about me; http://www.alexglanville.com

However, I don't know what to write. How should I go about writing about myself? I've tried locating other similar websites but haven't found any from which to get ideas. I don't need resume level detail, but I want it to be informational enough.

I'll be connecting with Flickr & Twitter and will be blogging through Tumblr. I've chosen these three services for their audience of technology savage people. Flickrverse, Twitterverse and the Tumblr Community are huge. A lot of my friends have Tumblr and already follow my other Tumblr blog.

Also, photoshop mocks soon \o/
Laughing Way to go! I have one too at www.sourcecore.webs.com but the whole keeping up to date this is a bit of a struggle
Yeah. I'm hoping the Twitter & Tumblr integration will help with keeping it up to date. If anything, I'll change it to an online resume.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Yeah. I'm hoping the Twitter & Tumblr integration will help with keeping it up to date. If anything, I'll change it to an online resume.
I see no reason not to do both. Smile Too bad you don't have a Flickr; as a photographer I could see that being a good thing to add in too, unless Facebook has a similar type of feature.
I have flickr, I just don't update it as often as I should.

My initial plan is to include a link to a resume, but I don't want the website to be a resume. I want it to be and look professional so it won't dissuade employers but I don't want to send my resume to everyone with this link.

So, my idea was to make it a professional looking, psuedo-social site with a link to my resume.
That makes sense, then; I think that that could be a fun site to maintain. I look forward to seeing what you mock up design-wise.
I just write about random stuff nobody cares about. Works fine for me.
That's exactly what I plan to do. It's a site for me, of me and by me. I'll post what I post and if people want to read, they can. But my postings won't be the focus of my website.

KermMartian wrote:
That makes sense, then; I think that that could be a fun site to maintain. I look forward to seeing what you mock up design-wise.
I actually quite like the design I've come up with. I've mixed some elements in from two sites in particular: one was a random tumblr blog I stumbled upon and the second is from deviantART.

When someone full views artwork and the artwork is larger than their monitor, the artwork is scaled to the outer edges of the browser window. Thus, filling the whole window. I've actually quite liked that and have nicely integrated it into the mock, whether it'll play nice with me when I get to the HTML I can't say; I'm hoping to do it in CSS.

If you haven't guessed, I do plan to post photos on this site but don't plan to replace my portfolios. I've mocked the display page nicely and need to work in previous, index and next links. I'm also planning on an ad service. A site I frequent, wreckedexotics, used over-image ads that only appear on mouse-over of the photo. I really liked it. It seems they've removed the service but here's a demo on their website. I won't be pushing my photos section, either. The only downside at the moment, is that I can't add this service to tumblr: Do I sacrifice simplistic blogging and a great audience for revenue or do I try my hands at ads at the sacrifice of potential views, and a lesser probability that post will be "reblogged" to the viewers followers.

I have a lot of thinking to do with regards of the blog service I want to use (ideally, tumblr) but I haven't yet found a way to organise posts like I can with Blogger. Blogger also offers Google Ads integration, but my friends and their friends don't use Blogger. They use tumblr and I've been seeing more tumblr's these days maintained by teens than I have WordPress, Bloggers and other services.

It seems counter productive. I recognize. Why go simple, and conform when you can download a powerful CMS and add this and that. I've noticed that this modern generation (and I say that as a method to bridge the young and old) are using Twitter. And almost everyone who has a Tumblr, has a twitter linked up. Whenever they "reblog" my post, it'll get posted to their Twitter, where their followers will see it and likely click. And, if they don't have a tumblr and wish to follow me, may sign up and do so or may follow my twitter dedicated to this website.

So, I hope I got something going here. I posted all this for my future reference. And perhaps any feedback you guys may have. Question any ideas that don't make sense, the works yeah know.
My suggestion would of course be to whip out your PHP skills (or learn some PHP) and just write something for yourself, but I doubt that's your primary concern at this point. It sounds like you'd be just as happy using something premade, which I can respect. I see that your first post has been edited to say Flickr now, by the way. Laughing When you say that you're planning on an ad service, do you mean a traditional service for showing ads and making money, or something custom for showing and sharing ads between like-minded photographers?
And by PHP he means, of course, Perl.
KermMartian wrote:
My suggestion would of course be to whip out your PHP skills (or learn some PHP) and just write something for yourself, but I doubt that's your primary concern at this point. It sounds like you'd be just as happy using something premade, which I can respect.

I have to agree with Kerm; writing it yourself would be shweet Smile Plus, do you really need another blog, especially between tumblr, twitter, and facebook? What about just a near-static page with 1) an about me section, 2) links to your other sites, and 3) a resume? For example. my friend uses http://carls0n.com just as a site that links to all of his pages.
rthprog wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
My suggestion would of course be to whip out your PHP skills (or learn some PHP) and just write something for yourself, but I doubt that's your primary concern at this point. It sounds like you'd be just as happy using something premade, which I can respect.

I have to agree with Kerm; writing it yourself would be shweet Smile Plus, do you really need another blog, especially between tumblr, twitter, and facebook? What about just a near-static page with 1) an about me section, 2) links to your other sites, and 3) a resume? For example. my friend uses http://carls0n.com just as a site that links to all of his pages.
Indeed, that was one of my hesitations: if you try to spread yourself too thinly over the internet, you'll end up with a bunch of sites that you rarely update. I have a hard enough time keeping http://me.cemetech.net up to date.
KermMartian wrote:
I see that your first post has been edited to say Flickr now, by the way. 0x5
Good Idea Of course!
Quote:
When you say that you're planning on an ad service, do you mean a traditional service for showing ads and making money, or something custom for showing and sharing ads between like-minded photographers?
A traditional service, in a sense.

rthprog wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I really could use this project to write a backend but I don't want to put a website in the ocean and let it float. I'll add my website to a harbour (such as tumblr) where it can mingle with other ships/blogs and make friends much faster.

And since our generation likes to share cool things, I'm hoping a few of my photo pages will be shared, e-mailed and everything else.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I really could use this project to write a backend but I don't want to put a website in the ocean and let it float. I'll add my website to a harbour (such as tumblr) where it can mingle with other ships/blogs and make friends much faster.

And since our generation likes to share cool things, I'm hoping a few of my photo pages will be shared, e-mailed and everything else.

I'm confused; how will this page be any different than your tumblr? I mean, it has your blog, you can throw pages on it, it's connected to facebook and twitter, and you can theme it however you want. I don't think I quite understand what you're looking for in this site.
Both of you were saying I should write a blog system for myself, from what I understood.

I'll be using Tumblr, a second Tumblr really. I plan to make every page in tumblr and link to them in the navigation.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Both of you were saying I should write a blog system for myself, from what I understood.

I'll be using Tumblr, a second Tumblr really. I plan to make every page in tumblr and link to them in the navigation.

That's not what I meant... my point is, why do you want a second tumblr? How would it be any different than you existing one?
I'm going to essentially abandon my current one. I already have http://alexglanville.tumblr.com & http://twitter.com/alexglanville so now I just need to purchase my domain and I'm set.

The reason behind a second/new tumblr was so I could have a consistant name between website and tumblr. I'm not deleting my current one but I have no intention of updating it after I get http://alexglanville.com purchased & running.
*bump*
KermMartian wrote:

Images may be hosted by Flickr, Tumblr or my portfolio site. Still thinking things through, but this is an idea I had and referenced in the large post above.
Hmm, not a bad start (Razz where have I heard that phrase recently). I like the format, although that monospaced font isn't quite doing it for me. Let me stare at it a bit more and see if I can think of more specific critiques.
Nice so far. Also what I like is that unlike 99.95% of the personal websites being made these days, yours doesn't have a forum.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours