I want to hook up a desktop to my laptop through ethernet, and use my laptop as a sort of router, as in to share the internet it is getting from wifi.
OS? XP, vista, 7? this is fairly simple, but different on every os
I would like to know too. I use win7
I wanna install Ubuntu on it since it is ME, I just have to put the comp together, but I wanted to see how hard it is to connect to internet first.
Sonlen wrote:
I wanna install Ubuntu on it since it is ME, I just have to put the comp together, but I wanted to see how hard it is to connect to internet first.
You want to install Ubuntu on your laptop for sharing internet? We don't really need to know the OS on the desktop; the laptop is more important.
Noooo, Ubuntu on the desktop, I HATE Me, so I wanted to install it and use it on the desktop and not ME, my laptop is Vista.
Sonlen wrote:
Noooo, Ubuntu on the desktop, I HATE Me, so I wanted to install it and use it on the desktop and not ME, my laptop is Vista.
Aight, internet sharing on Microsoft Windows Vista:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

Long story short, go to the Network and Sharing Center, then Manage Network Connections. Find your wifi adapter, right-click it, and go to the Sharing tab. Check Allow Sharing.
okay, for win 7, Open network and sharing Center

(Control panel -> network ans sharing center)

click on Manage Networks connections.

right click on the one you want to use, and click properties, then go to the sharing tab, and check, "allow other computers to connect to the internet through this connection"
Teehee, ninja'd. Wink Sounds like it's almost exactly the same on Vista and 7?
I Guess so, although win 7's is inherently better lol XD
It is exactly the same, now I need to wait to make sure I get my dad's permission to fix one of the towers up again and get it all plugged up.
Rhombus P. wrote:
I Guess so, although win 7's is inherently better 0x5 XD
Of course, and probably more secure. Hmm, I wonder if the shared connection bypasses the Firewall or is doubly secured? I hope the latter.
So any idea what to do for ME? >.<
Sonlen wrote:
So any idea what to do for ME? >.<
The desktop has Windows ME, right? You don't need to do anything if the ME machine is getting shared to; just plug it in.
Ensure that its network settings are set to use DHCP (in the network connection properties, go to TCP/IP settings and ensure that it's set to automatically receive an IP address). That way the machine sharing the connection will issue it with an IP address automatically.

Edit: Though this is usually the default, so you shouldn't need to do anything.
benryves wrote:
Ensure that its network settings are set to use DHCP (in the network connection properties, go to TCP/IP settings and ensure that it's set to automatically receive an IP address). That way the machine sharing the connection will issue it with an IP address automatically.

Edit: Though this is usually the default, so you shouldn't need to do anything.
Indeed, that's why I eventually decided againts mentioning that. Smile
*bump*

I'm trying to set up Ubuntu Server Edition on my desktop computer, and connecting it to my laptop with Windows 7 installed and trying to share internet. But when I'm setting up the internet connection, the desktop tells me it can't connect to my network because it's probably not using DHCP protocol. I also couldn't find that option Benryves mentioned.

This is a picture of the details of the connection with the ethernet cable. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/Screenies/DHCP%20message.PNG

The internet sharing option is also set. Btw, do I need to do all the things to the wireless connection as well?
Use telepathy.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Use telepathy.

Well why don't you give it a shot "Mr.I can do everything automagically" :p

tanner, I am currently working on XP to Vista still, but I don't know how to get it working just yet.
_player1537 wrote:
*bump*

I'm trying to set up Ubuntu Server Edition on my desktop computer, and connecting it to my laptop with Windows 7 installed and trying to share internet. But when I'm setting up the internet connection, the desktop tells me it can't connect to my network because it's probably not using DHCP protocol. I also couldn't find that option Benryves mentioned.

This is a picture of the details of the connection with the ethernet cable. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/Screenies/DHCP%20message.PNG

The internet sharing option is also set. Btw, do I need to do all the things to the wireless connection as well?
Did you any attempts to do it manually using /etc/interfaces and br0 and all that?

Edit: I actually have a relevant question to this topic now. I want to use my Windows 7 desktop to share internet over bluetooth to my door, specifically the epaper module, which is running Debian on a Gumstix.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours