It seems like the main feature that they're touting is the fact that it can draw graphs over pictures. I'm interested to see if it has any other cool features, or if that's their main selling point. They also claim quite an impressive battery life (120 hours, I think); is it a transflective, non-backlit screen?
KermMartian wrote:
It seems like the main feature that they're touting is the fact that it can draw graphs over pictures. I'm interested to see if it has any other cool features, or if that's their main selling point. They also claim quite an impressive battery life (120 hours, I think); is it a transflective, non-backlit screen?

As of now, I haven't seen much other than a few things extra.

I did see the graph over the picture thing, it's really cool, I'm just unsure of when one would really use it. There was a picture of a bridge preloaded, and you just tell it a few points on it (He used like 3), and tell it what kind of graph it is (quadratic) and it was able to calculate the equation of the line, as well as draw it. Simple stuff but cool none the less.

They also have a bit better interface with the graph screen, and being able to find intercepts and other information.

As for the screen, it's a nice backlit screen. It seems like the top part of it is a bit smoother than the rest, meaning it has a bit more glare than a Ti screen, but not by much. I think one untold secret to the crazy battery life is that the backlight dims a decent amount after maybe 30 seconds of inactivity.
Ah, you mean that it's a glossy rather than a matte screen? And the backlight dimming aspect certainly makes sense. As I said in a previous post in this topic, though, I wonder how many minutes until the first student figures out that they can put any image on it. Razz
I think it is already too late Kerm Razz
It uses a proprietary image format. so we'll have to crack the format before we can put our own images on it.
merthsoft wrote:
It uses a proprietary image format. so we'll have to crack the format before we can put our own images on it.
I seriously doubt it would be that hard; I'm sure it's something standard like GIF, PNG, or JPG with some kind of custom wrapper or header. Heck, it might even be a simple bitmap if they're feeling particularly lazy.
Eh, I can see how this is going to get kids in my school to like calcs. just not in the same way as me :O
qazz42 wrote:
Eh, I can see how this is going to get kids in my school to like calcs. just not in the same way as me :O
To be honest, I don't really see the Prizm becoming too popular any time soon, considering how entrenched TI is in the educational market at this point, but I could certainly be wrong, and if Casio continues to make "cool", relatively inexpensive calculators, and TI continues not to, I could certainly see the balance shifting over time. I mean, Casio even created a case that looks normal, not some weird top-heavy T shape (yes Nspire, I'm looking at you).
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
I seriously doubt it would be that hard; I'm sure it's something standard like GIF, PNG, or JPG with some kind of custom wrapper or header. Heck, it might even be a simple bitmap if they're feeling particularly lazy.
I don't think it'll be too hard, either. I'm just saying it has to be done.
I agree with you, Kerm:
KermMartian wrote:

I mean, Casio even created a case that looks normal, not some weird top-heavy T shape (yes Nspire, I'm looking at you).

Laughing
c.sprinkle wrote:
I agree with you, Kerm:
KermMartian wrote:

I mean, Casio even created a case that looks normal, not some weird top-heavy T shape (yes Nspire, I'm looking at you).

0x5
Thanks, I appreciate it (and I also appreciate that your post looks correct now that I fixed your BBCode). I feel like most of the people to whom I've spoken agree that the Nspire design is quite ugly; I don't understand why TI chose that design.
I don't know what I messed up on, but thanks for fixing it.
Razz
c.sprinkle wrote:
I don't know what I messed up on, but thanks for fixing it.
Razz
You missed the ending square bracket in "[/quote]". Also, the starting syntax is [quote="Username"], not [quote]Username said:. If you want to make life easy, just click the Quote button on the post that your quoting when you go to reply.
Kerm: Yea, apparently it's one of the popular formats. I bet that Casio actually shows how to. It's not going to be long. At all.

As for the screen, I checked it out again. It is in fact a glossy screen.

The only interesting features I've seen recently is the ability to actually graph conics, and change A,B,H, and K.
Oh, here's an interesting question: does it do 3D question? It's always bugged me that TI omits 3D graphing on the z80 calculators to try to force people to buy m68k calculators, even though the z80 calculators can handle 3D graphing easily, as many, many BASIC and ASM coders have demonstrated.
And now we wait for 3D graphing on the nspire Wink

hopefully it should considering how Casio actually gives a a `-`
qazz42 wrote:
And now we wait for 3D graphing on the nspire Wink

hopefully it should considering how Casio actually gives a a `-`
Based on what? I would hope that they care, but I have no proof yet. Wait, you're telling me that with all its ARMedness the Nspire doesn't have 3D graphing?!
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

It appears to be a proprietary image format (.g3p for stills). Plus, the fx-cg10 (the "American Prizm") will not be able to view pictures or animations (.g3b) from the fx-cg20 (the "European Prizm").
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

It appears to be a proprietary image format (.g3p for stills). Plus, the fx-cg10 (the "American Prizm") will not be able to view pictures or animations (.g3b) from the fx-cg20 (the "European Prizm").
Fascinating, good to know. I don't suppose you have any sample .g3p files that I could look at for the sake of analysis? Smile
Yes, I do have some. However, the analysis is slightly tricky because Casio wrote some security checks into the files that make them difficult to reproduce. We're still identifying those.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours