and TI
They still sell the 'teacher's edition' of the 84+SE

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/SCHWEIZ/productDetail/chg_viewscreen_calculator.html
calc84maniac wrote:
Fascinating. As Merth and I were discussing on the phone this evening, it would be epic if TI were to introduce another z80 calculator, or even an ARM or other calculator, in the z80 calculator form factor, with more programmability and an emulator that didn't suck. I'm sure that's a pipe dream though, unfortunately.
Perhaps a z80 calc shaped like the Voyage 200?
Raylin wrote:
Perhaps a z80 calc shaped like the Voyage 200?
I personally think that would be pretty cool, but I think with TI's focus on the classroom and the standardized testing markets, I think another QWERTY calculator anywhere in the near future is very unlikely.
It wouldn't have to be a QWERTY keyboard. Razz
Raylin wrote:
So shaped like the Voyage 200 just for the lulz, but no QWERTY keyboard? What then, DVORAK? Anywho, BrandonW's take (via IRC) is that it's just the normal discontinuation of the Silver Editions just as the TI-83+SE was discontinued, not a concerted effort to drive people to the Nspire.
In that case, the expert user will buy the flash chip found in the TI-84+SE and solder it into the new TI-84+.
DrDnar wrote:
In that case, the expert user will buy the flash chip found in the TI-84+SE and solder it into the new TI-84+.
Hmm, I'd be interested to see how feasible that is; I very well may open up my TI-84+ to compare it with the TI-84+SE motherboard currently splayed out on my workbench and see if that's the only difference.
KermMartian wrote:
Raylin wrote:
So shaped like the Voyage 200 just for the lulz, but no QWERTY keyboard? What then, DVORAK? Anywho, BrandonW's take (via IRC) is that it's just the normal discontinuation of the Silver Editions just as the TI-83+SE was discontinued, not a concerted effort to drive people to the Nspire.

It does drive people to the Nspire. They're killing two birds with one stone. Their models still in production are: the 83+, the 84+, and the Nspire with an emulated 84+SE. The Nspire sounds pretty attractive in that line-up.
The worst part is that they don't even provide the 84+ keypad anymore with the calcs, from some reports on Omnimaga (from people who bought factory-sealed Nspires). I wonder if they aren't planning to get rid of 84+ emulation in the Nspire, eventually...
Not when you consider that according to most popular reports that I've read, the Nspire doesn't ship with the TI-84+SE keypad anymore. Does this mean that the TI-89Ti isn't under production anymore? I find that hard to believe.
AFAIK, they haven't killed the 89T just yet... but the la(te)st OS upgrade for the 89T was released in 2005. TI abandoned the TI-68k calculator line long before killing the 84+SE. Due to the CAS (and the lower price tag), the TI-68k series is a bigger competitor to the Nspire CAS sales than the TI-Z80 series can be, in the absence of a comparable CAS.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
AFAIK, they haven't killed the 89T just yet... but the la(te)st OS upgrade for the 89T was released in 2005. TI abandoned the TI-68k calculator line long before killing the 84+SE. Due to the CAS (and the lower price tag), the TI-68k series is a bigger competitor to the Nspire CAS sales than the TI-Z80 series can be, in the absence of a comparable CAS.
Indeed, which is (to me) ironic considering that the 68ks are largely valued as a tool in higher-level education, like engineering and science degrees in American college or whatever the French equivalent is. I've seen the Nspire make zero inroads on higher education thus far.
yeah, they just ditched it when it was a really good calc...

I think TI no longer cares, or will care, about us programmers anymore

now, the teachers are in control Sad

we must fend for our selfs with ndless
qazz42 wrote:
yeah, they just ditched it when it was a really good calc...

I think TI no longer cares, or will care, about us programmers anymore

now, the teachers are in control Sad

we must fend for our selfs with ndless

Personally, most of the teachers in my school don't care/know about what calculators we use. Somebody in my class has an Nspire CAS, another has a TI-89T, and me a TI-84+, even though the TI-83+ is the standard.

I think TI never cared...

One day, Apple is going to do what TI did to the Nspire, and lock the OS to prevent jailbreaking.
Nope, in our school the teachers are literally screaming

NSPIRE NSPIRE NSPIRE!!!!!

in fact, some teachers are successfully convincing students to trade their TI-84+ for nspire

which makes we want to cry ;.;
qazz42 wrote:
in fact, some teachers are successfully convincing students to trade their TI-84+ for nspire

Argh... that's evil ! Evil or Very Mad
but I am trying to tell some students whome know me not to trade it in...

the others are a lost cause because the ones who do trade it in are the ones whoo dislike me Sad
MY GOD NO NOT THE NSPIRE AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?!?!?!?!

hey guys what about the TI89? my freind has one and the program editing is amazing. are they still around? BUT NO 84+SE?!?!?!?! AAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! >o<

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours