rcplanegy wrote:
hmm... i see well for some reason i cant quite get it to work right... im trying my own idea looks like it might work
You can't get the code that I posted to work right? Can you be more specific about what about it is not working properly?
not sure, code wise. i gave a freind the same program and when we entered messages both ends said send and neither one received the message from the other. also, the lines programed in to sepperate the messages arent working, not sure why...
rcplanegy wrote:
not sure, code wise. i gave a freind the same program and when we entered messages both ends said send and neither one received the message from the other. also, the lines programed in to sepperate the messages arent working, not sure why...
*Not *I *friend *separate *aren't. Hmm, sorry to hear that. I'll test out the program again, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be working. If there are indeed bugs in my program, I'll fix it and update it.
oh sorry i suck at grammar Razz
rcplanegy wrote:
oh sorry i suck at grammar Razz
By the time you've spent a few weeks and months at Cemetech, we'll have cured you of that. Smile Good spelling and grammar is extremely important. Have fun working on your version for now, and I'll let you know when I've had a chance to try out mine again.
im now making an IM program that, after you type in characters and press enter, the other calculator receives the 'a message exists, go get it!' command (getcalc X) and gets the string to be displayed om each of the cacluators screens. its kind confusing: basically i made the calculators wait their turn to get the sender's message so there's no interferance. It should be working now, gonna test it next period Very Happy
Yeah, that's more or less how Advanced Chat worked. Smile I hope that this does the trick for you; please keep us posted.
well that sucked Sad ... i tired to use GetCalc( at 3 places in the code (beginning, after message was entered, after message was received and displayed) but it ff..ff.ffff FAILED idk what to do!!!! its like if the 2 calculators were anywhere NEAR the same area in the code one or the other would freeze up. I COULDN'T EVEN BREAK IT WITH THE <ON> BUTTON!!!! whats up here? idk. now it just waits a prescribed 12-15 seconds and gets the message, even if there isnt one, unfortunately. Oh well, just a day in the life of a calculator programmer Razz .
Wait, but I thought you didn't have a working link cord...? How are you testing this?
No no no no... i own a mini usb cord for linking two TI84's or other TI mini usb equipped devices. the cord im trying to make is a 2.5 mm. cord for linking through the I/O port to a TI83. i can do things with 2 84's, but im making a cable for the 83's. Make sense?
rcplanegy wrote:
No no no no... i own a mini usb cord for linking two TI84's or other TI mini usb equipped devices. the cord im trying to make is a 2.5 mm. cord for linking through the I/O port to a TI83. i can do things with 2 84's, but im making a cable for the 83's. Make sense?
Makes perfect sense; I didn't realize that you had access to a second 84. Are you keeping in mind that GetCalc() only works when the "sending" calc is at a Menu or Pause?
OMG Kerm YOU WORK MIRACLES!!!! YES!!!! now the sender pauses and is told to wait 5 seconds so the receiver can use GetCal( to successfully receive the message once a message has been entered. THANK YOU KERN YOUR A GENIUS and no i didn't know that... >:/
rcplanegy wrote:
OMG Kerm YOU WORK MIRACLES!!!! YES!!!! now the sender pauses and is told to wait 5 seconds so the receiver can use GetCal( to successfully receive the message once a message has been entered. THANK YOU Kerm YOUR A GENIUS and no i didn't know that... >:/
Ah, then I'm glad to have enlightened you. Smile Glad to hear that the program works now.
well yeah, but... uhh... see at the beginning, the user must choose ID A or B (A being the first sender and B being the first receiver) so no ones trying to receive or send at the same time and create interference. Well a few YEARS (aprox. 3) when i started this idea of an IM, i coppied a IM program that automatically choose 1 ID or the other for you, eliminating the need to choose the ID and have a possiblity of both calc users picking the same ID. I have NO clue were i got that, so could anyone 'enlighten' me on how to automatically choose an ID to go to a send and receive label so the users dont have to decide maually? Anyone have a clue? i dont... <:^(
That actually sounds like it was my program, since it does that. Wink One possibility is have each calculator choose an ID in the set rand(0,999999) or something like that, and have the calculator with the higher ID be B, but you'd still need some way for each calculator to know what the other's ID was...
si Kerm, any idea of how you did that? or anyone else really. i seem to remember something to do with x variable and Pi... ?
I see what I'm doing (on each calculator, X=0 means nothing pending, X=1 tells the other calculator to fetch a string, which has a message, and X=2 means the calculator is about to disconnect, but I don't see any Pauses or Menus, so I'm a bit skeptical about how well it works.
huhh... well i really thought GetCalc( still worked without pauses or menus. weird...
rcplanegy wrote:
huhh... well i really thought GetCalc( still worked without pauses or menus. weird...
You'd help me a lot if you were to verify that somehow. Smile
well actually... Shock 1 sec BRB!!!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours