I don't know how long they've been doing this, being a new user, but in honor of 'Talk like a pirate day' the developers of Avast! anti-virus released a 'pirate' language pack. Whoever came up with this idea deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.
^++ THIS. I have it now. Fuggin' epic.
Pirates are, after all, known for the peaceful nature.
benryves wrote:
Pirates are, after all, known for the peaceful nature.
Absolutely! I'll probably have to try this out, since I have Avast, but it'll probably turn out to be too much of a novelty for me in the long run.
Damnit, I'm trying to trigger an attack so I can hear what it says, but none of my usual attack sites are working. Anyone know somewhere I can go to get something nasty to trigger an alert?
DShiznit wrote:
Damnit, I'm trying to trigger an attack so I can hear what it says, but none of my usual attack sites are working. Anyone know somewhere I can go to get something nasty to trigger an alert?
Hahaha, Cemetech is the first Google result for "avast pirate pack". Go team go. I'm trying to find the actual link, though.
The usual way to test anti-virus software is the eicar magic string.
The download was offered to me right through avast, but you can probably get it from their website...
benryves wrote:
The usual way to test anti-virus software is the eicar magic string.
That triggered it for me. Smile

@DShiznit: I had to update the program to the latest version, then Pirate Talk showed up as an option in the additional language packs to install.
yup, http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com does it just fine. I love the message too...
DShiznit wrote:
yup, http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com does it just fine. I love the message too...
I was surprised that it pronounced it "Maal-war" instead of "Maal-WAYR", as I do.
I thought he said "Man-o-war" which I believe is a type of ship...
It's a jellyfish. And there was a boat with that name (a single boat, not a class of boats).
DShiznit is quite correct in this instance; it's a type of ship.
Oh dear, I fail at reading wikipedia's disambiguation page Sad
benryves wrote:
I also thought it was a type of jellyfish:

Quote:
Portuguese man o' war or Portuguese man of war, a floating marine "jellyfish" armed with many dangerous stinging cells
Quote:
Cemetech | View topic - Avast! 'Pirate' language pack
16 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 7 hours ago
Hahaha, Cemetech is the first Google result for "avast pirate pack". Go team go. I'm trying to find the actual link, though. ...
www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112549

Self-reference ftw Very Happy
It is quite funny that we are number one for that.

Any who, does sound pretty sweet, too bad I am not running Avast for my AV, would love to have it.
rivereye wrote:
It is quite funny that we are number one for that.

Any who, does sound pretty sweet, too bad I am not running Avast for my AV, would love to have it.
It's certainly more entertaining than the default. It seems that the Pirate Talk pack also changes the default Avast! sound for when the virus definitions database is updated, as I'd hoped it would.
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
I also thought it was a type of jellyfish:

Quote:
Portuguese man o' war or Portuguese man of war, a floating marine "jellyfish" armed with many dangerous stinging cells
It is. The ship Benryves posted was "Man of War", rather than the result for "Man o' War." Though, according to Wikipedia the Jellyfish also goes by "Man of War."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours