I felt like learning a new language and making a MMORPG.Sonlen has agreed to help cuz im distracted by sparkly objects >_>.We've decided on actionscript and a fantasy theme.Let the ideas FLY!

Note: This game is NOT based on sparkly objects, it is a Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game like World of Warcraft or Runescape.

Ok, so far we've decided and pondered on these things...

Quote:
1) Will be written in actionscript
2) Will be fantasy themed
3) Character will start at a base class
4) Characters will work towards 1 of 7 classes Warrior, Mage, Druid, Bard, Ranger, Paladin, and Thief
5) Characters can change class at a certain level or work toward mastery
6) Battle algorithms
Anakclusmos wrote:
I felt like learning a new language and making a MMORPG.Sonlen has agreed to help cuz im distracted by sparkly objects >_>.We've decided on actionscript and a fantasy theme.Let the ideas FLY!

Well as ActionScript is a very simple to learn, yet powerful programming language, we can probably incorporate a whole lot of different things, though I need to brush up on it, as I am a bit rusty, been a couple years since I messed with it, but to my point.

First suggestion I feel that is needed is character classes, what would everyone like to see as a playable class?
Anakclusmos wrote:
By ActionScript, you mean it'll be implemented in Flash? Will it be centralized, then? What kind of network architecture do you envision? Player-hosted servers, or one central server? What kind of genre? What kind of goals? Sandbox? Building? Combat? RPG elements?
KermMartian wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:
By ActionScript, you mean it'll be implemented in Flash? Will it be centralized, then? What kind of network architecture do you envision? Player-hosted servers, or one central server? What kind of genre? What kind of goals? Sandbox? Building? Combat? RPG elements?

Still deciding Kerm, it is nice to have ideas before truly planning out the full details, though I think it ought to be a Free Roam style RPG, like World Of Warcraft style play, unless I took understood Anakclusmos wrong.
you have ESPn Sonlen, my idea exacly! I'm thinking classes like

Warrior Mage Wizard Druid Bard Ranger Paladin

any others?
Anakclusmos wrote:
you have ESPn Sonlen, my idea exacly! I'm thinking classes like

Warrior Mage Wizard Druid Bard Ranger Paladin

any others?

Umm.... Theif possibly, steal items from monsters etc...

Plus I think it should start as a base class, and then develop your character towards one of (4 maybe) sides of a class "tree" if you see what I mean.
Surprised and at some point can change classes to become like, a Warrior-Mage, or pursue the same class for mastery?Like Baldurs Gate?

Then again, without pursuit of class, we can base the charactors status on choices the player makes.Thief is definately one i left out.
Anakclusmos wrote:
Surprised and at some point can change classes to become like, a Warrior-Mage, or pursue the same class for mastery?Like Baldurs Gate?

Sounds like a good idea to me, we need a base stat list, a damage algorithm, defense and accuracy implemented, of course based on the variables for stats.

Ummm... anything else we definatly need for just testing a battle system, damage wise that is?
lets see.... attack, strength, accuracy, defense, agility, speed, and mayybeee constitution

ah, and the weapon their using would have some effect
Anakclusmos wrote:
lets see.... attack, strength, accuracy, defense, agility, speed, and mayybeee constitution

ah, and the weapon their using would have some effect

Let's stick with the basics first, Attack, Strength, Accuracy, Defense, and Speed would be used for how fast you can go, while agility will be like evasion, for avoiding attacks obviously, the rest we can probably add on with slight tweaks after we get something that works.
Smile ok. weaponwise are we looking toward variety or the glowing +1 crap some fantasy RPG's use

before we get too far along, you know a good actionscript compiler?
Anakclusmos wrote:
Smile ok. weaponwise are we looking toward variety or the glowing +1 crap some fantasy RPG's use

before we get too far along, you know a good actionscript compiler?

I am all for enhancements, but adding the glowing bit in AS would probably start lagging if a ton of them are present at once, sometimes it is a good effect, other times, people use them to prove they can afford that crap.

And I have Adobe Flash CS3, so I know that has a built in debugger, tester, and compiler, which I will use.
I like the weapons to be able to be enchanted. Like embedding, and +1 kind of stuff. But if I may ask. What are the mechanics going to be based on? D20 like DnD or some other mechanic that you guys are going to use or make up?
0rac343 wrote:
I like the weapons to be able to be enchanted. Like embedding, and +1 kind of stuff. But if I may ask. What are the mechanics going to be based on? D20 like DnD or some other mechanic that you guys are going to use or make up?

Stats, just stats, like any other MMORPG.(with a few exceptions)
Can you give a tl;dr summary of the things you guys have been tossing around so far specs-wise?
Ok, so far we've decided and pondered on these things...

1) Will be written in actionscript
2) Will be fantasy themed
3) Character will start at a base class
4) Characters will work towards 1 of 7 classes Warrior, Mage, Druid, Bard, Ranger, Paladin, and Thief
5) Characters can change class at a certain level or work toward mastery
6) Battle algorithms

Sonlen, what do think of going Fable and doing the whole good/evil thing?
Anakclusmos wrote:

What does this mean. I have no idea.
a MMORPG is a Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game
So a MMORPG based on sparkling objects? Maybe a mine-related theme would be better suited.
allynfolksjr wrote:
So a MMORPG based on sparkling objects? Maybe a mine-related theme would be better suited.

Think more of Final Fantasy Style, Magic, Swords, Armor, Hardcore Fighting, etc...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours