Program Art?
Yes
 93%  [ 15 ]
No
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Can programming be artistic? Can a program be poetry? An Object Oriented Application a beatiful Painting? Make a picasso of Java App, or a ballad of a console program. Art in nerd-dom
In my opinion yes, just as one can describe parts of mathematics as "beautiful" Smile
I'd go so far as to claim that all programming is a form of art. Poor programming is poor art, and elegant and efficient programming is like a beautiful masterpiece. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I'd go so far as to claim that all programming is a form of art. Poor programming is poor art, and elegant and efficient programming is like a beautiful masterpiece. Smile
Unless its perl, then it just looks like someone banged their head on their keyboard. Just Joking but seriously good code is indeed art.
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Unless its perl, then it just looks like someone banged their head on their keyboard. Just Joking but seriously good code is indeed art.
Haha, or took a Japanese IRC channel full of emoticons and tried to execute them. Very Happy

For a more literal take on the code-as-art, check out some of the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Obfuscated_C_Code_Contest
HELLL YEAH!

I need one art credit to go to HS and CAD gets me one

though I wish programming did
I'd say programming is more likely to be taken as a form of engineering or science long before it is taken as a form of art, with the obvious exception of the IOCCC.
benryves wrote:
I'd say programming is more likely to be taken as a form of engineering or science long before it is taken as a form of art, with the obvious exception of the IOCCC.
In a strict interpretation, programming absolutely is viewed as a science or a part of engineering, but I'd argue that the amount of effort and skill that goes into some pieces of code (like fidgety assembly networking interrupts, to draw on some of my recent painful experiences) makes it an art form.
I dare anyone to say Dwarf Fortess is not art.

And if you insist, the results of it are certainly art. This is really just a generalization of the 'Are games art?' question. IMO, perhaps the tool itself is not art, but it's certainly suitable for creation of proper art.
KermMartian wrote:
I'd argue that the amount of effort and skill that goes into some pieces of code (like fidgety assembly networking interrupts, to draw on some of my recent painful experiences) makes it an art form.

Based on that argument, you'd quickly lose. Art has nothing to do with skill, or effort, or work, or anything like that.

For something to be art, it must be intended as art, which most programs are not.

So no, programming is not art. Programming is a form of engineering - its goal is to solve a problem, not evoke emotion or be admired.

The Tari wrote:
And if you insist, the results of it are certainly art. This is really just a generalization of the 'Are games art?' question. IMO, perhaps the tool itself is not art, but it's certainly suitable for creation of proper art.

Not at all the same. Paintings are art but paint brushes aren't.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I'd argue that the amount of effort and skill that goes into some pieces of code (like fidgety assembly networking interrupts, to draw on some of my recent painful experiences) makes it an art form.

Based on that argument, you'd quickly lose. Art has nothing to do with skill, or effort, or work, or anything like that.

For something to be art, it must be intended as art, which most programs are not.

So no, programming is not art. Programming is a form of engineering - its goal is to solve a problem, not invoke emotion.
I view well engineered products as art, and engineering itself could be viewed as an art form. I happen to feel it is, whether the the end product was designed for form or function it is still art.
Kllrnohj wrote:
The Tari wrote:

Not at all the same. Paintings are art but paint brushes aren't.
That's what Tari said if I'm not mistaken.
TheStorm wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

So no, programming is not art. Programming is a form of engineering - its goal is to solve a problem, not invoke emotion.
I view well engineered products as art, and engineering itself could be viewed as an art form. I happen to feel it is, whether the the end product was designed for form or function it is still art.
That was exactly my point, glad you agreed. I subscribe to a definition of "art" where function is equally artistic as form.
IOCCC eh? That's so awesome. Too bad I only program in C occasionally. I think if I worked at it, I could code something to that standard. I know that 97 percent of game programming is art. Engineering requires so much drawing and stuff, it's art. Anyway, I shouldn't reply to my own question... But that's where most of the art is. Not really much poetry in command line C though...
You're allowed to answer your own question for a question like that! And if you could write C/C++ code in meter-compliant form, (somehow), that would be amazing.
Meter-compliant form? I can't find anything programming related on Wikipedia or Google. Sounds like something having to do with SI...?
adept wrote:
Meter-compliant form? I can't find anything programming related on Wikipedia or Google. Sounds like something having to do with SI...?
No, meter, as in the syllable and rhyming scheme in a poem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_%28poetry%29
What about haiku? Razz
@CalcDude: that sort of depends on everyone reading HTML aloud the same way
@TheStorm: facepalm.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours