http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/428/42851.html

Not meant to discourage you, just pointing that this can be done and look good at the same time. Good luck with this project Very Happy

Also, with saving, you can archive a list, and then use "SetUpEditor list" and setupeditor will unarchive a list if it is archived, and if it is unachived, it won't give you an error like "Unarchive" will.

Will this be a sidescroller, or a platformer? Platformer being what I linked to, and sidescroller being like: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/396/39670.html
KermMartian wrote:
For saving, most people use a named list (eg, [size=small]L[/size]LOZ) to save all of the requisite variables about the player's state; often, multiple lists are required. When gameplay resumes, loading from the save is as simple as reversing the save process, ie, unpacking any save lists back to the original variables and/or lists.

Can lists be archived and unarchived? Also can you Archive and UnArchive SubPrograms when you need them to save space?
And I have a theory I have been running through my head this morning, and I wanted to get oppinions on this.
For maps, I was planning on having a seperate prgm for all the maps, 9 dungeons and the overworld, and 1 for all the misc. areas.
The maps would be called by 1(or 2 depending on how it works out)
vars, they would determine which map would be called, and each room would have a seperate coordinate so it can call the correct one.
I beleive that is all for the time being.

_player1537 wrote:

Not meant to discourage you, just pointing that this can be done and look good at the same time. Good luck with this project Very Happy

Also, with saving, you can archive a list, and then use "SetUpEditor list" and setupeditor will unarchive a list if it is archived, and if it is unachived, it won't give you an error like "Unarchive" will.

Will this be a sidescroller, or a platformer? Platformer being what I linked to, and sidescroller being like: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/396/39670.html

There are certain bits that will be sidescrolling, I am going ot do my best to keep this just like the original for the NES.
Sorry for Double Posting, I just decided it would be better since it is some data I just collected to see opinions on how I should do the Matrices for the maps.
Level 1: 19 Rooms
Level 2: 18 Rooms
Level 3: 18 Rooms
Level 4: 19 Rooms
Level 5: 23 Rooms
Level 6: 25 Rooms
Level 7: 33 Rooms
Level 8: 25 Rooms
Level 9: Floor 1: 37 Rooms
Level 9: Floor 2: 20 Rooms
Level 9 Total: 57 Rooms
OverWorld: 128 Rooms
Misc. Rooms: Undetermined ATM
Grand Total So Far: 365 Rooms
So I have hit a slight snag in my memory... >.<
I can't figure out how to make collision detection with a Matrix, I could with a string.... Though that has escaped me too... anyways, here is the code, and I should be great to go after this.

The matrix is:

BASIC Code wrote:
:ClrHome
:8→A:7→B
:For(Y,1,8
:For(X,1,16
:Output(Y,X,sub(" W",1+[A](Y,X),1
:End:End
:Output(B,A,"π
:Repeat K=105
:getKey→K
:If Ans
:Output(B,A,"
:min(8,max(1,B+sum(DeltaList(Ans={25,34→B
:min(16,max(1,A+sum(DeltaList(K={24,26→A
:Output(B,Ans,"π
:End
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005-2010 Cemetech

Is there an easy way to change a matrix row by row, or column by column, to make scrolling nice and smooth?
HOLY TRIPLEPOST, Batman! Yeah, but you don't usually change the matrix itself. You just render starting with a different matrix element for the top-left of the screen, where the actual matrix is much larger than 16x8 (usually 16m by 8n elements), where m and n are the width and height of the map in screenfuls.
KermMartian wrote:
HOLY TRIPLEPOST, Batman! Yeah, but you don't usually change the matrix itself. You just render starting with a different matrix element for the top-left of the screen, where the actual matrix is much larger than 16x8 (usually 16m by 8n elements), where m and n are the width and height of the map in screenfuls.

I want it to scroll the entire screen to the next one like in the original, if you want I can get a screenie really fast.[/code]
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I want it to scroll the entire screen to the next one like in the original, if you want I can get a screenie really fast.[/code]
Sure, that's a good idea. You can use some of the xLib/Doors CS libraries for scrolling, but I'm not sure how well they work on the homescreen. Does anyone have any experience therewith?
_player1537 wrote:
Keep in mind that this game is not the best example in terms of memory management (the large amount of sub-programs of over 200) and that I do not recommend starting with such large project, though. Also it uses extremly outdated ASM libs. However, for ideas it can be kinda useful I guess. If you're making an ASCII game like mine, you can watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITlzO3UNqCw

For new programmers, while I do not discourage adventure/RPGs as first projects, I recommend starting small enough, so you don't get overhelmed at the amount of stuff to do and especially to learn how to do.

That said, good luck on this project. So few Zelda games were finished on calcs. The one above is one of the only two.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Keep in mind that this game is not the best example in terms of memory management (the large amount of sub-programs of over 200) and that I do not recommend starting with such large project, though. However, for ideas it can be kinda useful I guess.

For new programmers, while I do not discourage adventure/RPGs as first projects, I recommend starting small enough, so you don't get overhelmed at the amount of stuff to do and especially to learn how to do.

That said, good luck on this project. So few Zelda games were finished on calcs. The one above is one of the only two.

Well I have made games based on this games engine, and plus knowing alot about the game itself may be a lot of help in this, I aim to have the 3rd one ever finished. Very Happy
http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/83p/b/tifw/les8.htm

Not sure if this would be helpful to you for detecting stuff on the home screen.
tifreak8x wrote:
http://tifreakware.net/tutorials/83p/b/tifw/les8.htm

Not sure if this would be helpful to you for detecting stuff on the home screen.

Now if only I could mod that to show the next screen 1 row/column at a time.... Hmmmm.
By the way, in answer to your earlier question about lists and subprograms: Lists can indeed be archived and unarchived. Subprograms can be copied from archive to RAM, run, and then deleted using one of xLib's functions as emulated in Doors CS 7.
KermMartian wrote:
By the way, in answer to your earlier question about lists and subprograms: Lists can indeed be archived and unarchived. Subprograms can be copied from archive to RAM, run, and then deleted using one of xLib's functions as emulated in Doors CS 7.

Awsome, knowing all the matrices I will have to make and transfer(a few posts up) I need something that I can archive and unarchive to keep as much ram free as possible so it can hopefully run at least slightly smoothly.
Well, having more RAM free than you're using doesn't really make a program faster or slower, generally (with the exception of some label usage). If you're doing everything in subprogram calling, loops (while/repeat/for) and conditional stuff, then the only increased lag would be when calling subprograms if there's more items in the VAT. Since you have the same number of things in the VAT, just marked as RAM or Archived, it doesn't really make a difference.

Is there a way to make this load faster, and also what would be the easiest way to get the screen to scroll over?
Here is the code, edited out the Collision Detection as it is Rhombus P.'s code, and I will not display without his permission.

BASIC Code wrote:
:ClrHome
:8→A:7→B
:8→C:7→D
:For(Y,1,8
:For(X,1,16
:prgmZMAP
:Output(Y,X,sub(" WC",1+[A](Y,X),1
:End:End
:{9,1,9→L3
:While 1
:Repeat Ans
:getKey
:Ans→K
:Output(B,A,"
:Collision Detection code
:Collision detection code
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005-2010 Cemetech
Well, the huge slowdown there is calling prgmZMAP in the loop; what's that for?
Ahhh, that was how I was going to call the maps later on.... There are a whole lot, is there an easier way for the almost 300 maps to be stored?
Sonlen wrote:
Ahhh, that was how I was going to call the maps later on.... There are a whole lot, is there an easier way for the almost 300 maps to be stored?
Well, you populate the Matrix from the map first, outside of the loop, and then the loop just has to render directly from the matrix. No need to do the painfully-slow step of running a subprogram 128 times per render on a cluttered caculator.
Ohhh, I didn't realise it was in the loop >.<
how are the maps stored in the program ZMAP?

is it possible that you load the whole map to the matrix before you start drawing it?

call ZMAP once and save map to matix

use the pre loaded matrix to draw map

EDIT: lol nevermind

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 16
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours