I'm happy to announce that SourceCoder 2.5 now has some shiny new tools for BASIC and ASM programmers looking to use images in their programs. SourceCoder, since version 1.0 as a matter of fact, has always been capable of taking a .8xi file and turning it into ASCII art, .db statements for z80 ASM programmers, and .gif images. SourceCoder 2.5 can now handle arbitrarily-sized .bmp, .gif, and .png image files, and perform the following functions:

:: Create .8xi files from any 95x63 through 96x64-pixel image, automatically thresholding to create a monochrome image. The result will be Pic0 oncalc.
:: Generate the .db statements to include any arbitrarily-sized image in a z80 ASM program as a monochrome image or sprite. This means that even 8x8 and 16x16 icons can be converted using this tool.
:: Generate the similar .db statements for both layers of a 3-level or 4-level grayscale image.
:: Generate an ANSI C initialization statement for an Nspire C-language 16-level grayscale image or sprite in any size up to fullscreen 320x240.

Please visit SourceCoder 2.5, try out these new features, and tell me if you have any suggestions or comments! I hope they'll be widely useful.
I cant seem to image convert....
qazz42 wrote:
I cant seem to image convert....
What do you mean by that? Is it a failure in SourceCoder or some third-party program that you're using?
I am using a .png and SC says "sorry, no file specified"
qazz42 wrote:
I am using a .png and SC says "sorry, no file specified"
I'm afraid I was unable to replicate your problems. Could you try with any other files? Could you also email me the PNG in question? It is probably larger than 100KB, right?
err it is 300 KB

I can send the png, but later, SPLISH SLPASH TIME! Wooooot!
qazz42 wrote:
err it is 300 KB

I can send the png, but later, SPLISH SLPASH TIME! Wooooot!
Oh, don't bother sending it then, the converter has a 100KB limit for the sake of my bandwidth and CPU time. Every image must be at most 100KB and 320x240 pixels.
ah, fair enough
qazz42 wrote:
ah, fair enough
That makes sense, right? Anything larger than 96x64 makes no sense for the z80 calculators, and anything larger than 320x240 would be useless even on an Nspire. I figure if people want to scale down a big picture to show on their calculator, they can just use an image editor like MSPaint first.
Good point Kerm, I agree, it would be too big for the calculator's screen

you get one cookie Razz
qazz42 wrote:
Good point Kerm, I agree, it would be too big for the calculator's screen

you get one cookie Razz
Huzzah, a cookie! /me noms. Do you have any further suggestions for the image tools? Any new features it should add, new types of images it should generate? Maybe I'll have to create a grayscale viewer program for DCS.
A couple minor nitpickings:
-Replace "image" with the name of the file you input (ie, input file "rawr.png" output (first line) "rawr[xxx]={"
-Add an enter after "{"
-At the very end, add a ";"

That is all Razz
_player1537 wrote:
-Replace "image" with the name of the file you input (ie, input file "rawr.png" output (first line) "rawr[xxx]={"
-Add an enter after "{"

That is all Razz
I thought it had those latter two. I can certainly try all three of those, though.
geryscale would be cool
qazz42 wrote:
geryscale would be cool

You mean like it already has...? It makes data for asm programs that use greyscale
qazz42 wrote:
geryscale would be cool
It can do grayscale images and sprites already, 3 level and 4 level for the z80 calcs, 16 level for the Nspires.
KermMartian wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
-Add an enter after "{"

That is all Razz
I thought it had those latter two. I can certainly try all three of those, though.

How is this coming along btw?
I'll add these this evening. Raylin requested a straight hex output for Axe coders, too, so that's easy enough.
YUSH!
Raylin wrote:
YUSH!
SourceCoder 2.5 can now take a monochrome image and output straight hex, useful for things like icons in DCS headers, Axe programs, and Celtic III / xLib / DCSB Lib programs. Raylin, can you double-check that it works please?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours