For the past couple of days, I've been working on a small rpg engine in pure TI Basic. I was trying to design it to be as easy to use as possible, easy to add events, easy to make maps, etc. Figured I'd go ahead and release what I have Smile

As of now, the features include:
-Ability to move around
-Ability to talk to certain people, and receive text events
-Ability to go to different rooms

To run the game, run prgmB. You move around with the arrow keys (those are the only controls right now, well except for text >.>). When in a text event, use up and down to scroll through the text, and enter to finish with the text. While you are moving around, you don't need to wait for the engine to finish drawing your character, it will white out that spot, and keep you moving. When you stop pressing and holding the arrow keys, it will redisplay your character (a smiley Very Happy).

For now, I think that is it. The only thing I have heard so far is that it is too slow for loading (not much to do there >.> Then again, its from my friends at school who *only* play asm games). Enjoy Very Happy

>>>Link<<<
Screenshots! All three of your threads need screenshots! Sad

This sounds like a lot of fun, though. How expandable is it?
As of now, very expandable. I only have two rooms set up, but there can be >9000. Oh, and for the events, for now there are 3 types:
-Text events
-Stats events
-an event to change the lists... yeah

The first one is shown pretty visibly. The second one raises your stats (like in the second room, how it gives you gold if you open the chest). And the third one is more for control, it makes sure that the text doesn't keep showing up when you go to the chest over and over again.
Is there an easily-accessible way to change which and how many NPCs there are, and what interactions with each one are like? Can interactions with people cause objects to appear on maps? Come to think of it, is there an object/pickup mechanism yet?
:/ Not yet, but I will add that Smile The NPC is only a sprite on the picture, it doesn't move around (and probably won't). I might add a sprite event next. Right now, with a careful setup of events, you can walk to an NPC, give him some gold, and gain stats, as well as only allowing that to happen once.

Todo list:
-Sprite event
-Items
-Input event (like a text event, but you can answer yes, no, or whatever)
Nifty; I'm glad you have a good plan. Did I miss somewhere where you explained what a sprite event is, or should I know it from general RPGs?
Oh, I didn't explain it... basically, it will draw a sprite on the screen, like if you step on a tile, and the sprite event could draw another sprite on the door to make the door appear closed. Or you could step somewhere, and it would create a treasure chest somewhere.

More todo:
-Save the previous X and Y positions for when leaving doors
Ooooh, I like it! But that treasure chest could be offscreen, right? So it could change the tilemap matrix or something?
Not sure what you mean by being offscreen. Unless you mean like another tilemap, which could happen, I would just have to maybe make something special... And it will probably change the tilemap, but I don't think it will /have/ to, I think it may have an option to do that *shrug*. I plan on working on this today at school Very Happy
Calling it a sprite event made me think it had to change something that was explicitly onscreen, not off the edges of the screen but still on the current tilemap (assuming that your engine supports maps bigger than the LCD, right?). If it can change a tile in the tilemap regardless of whether it's on- or off-screen, that answers my question.
Even though it is waaayyy late. Here is a screenie of my progress from about the first post. Haven't done much work on it lately.
_player1537 wrote:
Even though it is waaayyy late. Here is a screenie of my progress from about the first post. Haven't done much work on it lately.
Very impressive, and better late than never, right? I like your text-sprites, and bah to you for making me lose the game with the text dialog. Wink
Teehee >Razz I had actually forgotten about that part until I got to the text dialog Smile

Any ideas, should I choose to work on this some rather than my current project?
It's a little slow, and with xLib/DCS there really isn't much of a point other than learning or fun with pure BASIC, so my suggestion would be to work on your current project (though I'm not sure what that is). However, if you're having fun with this, keep it up! It is impressive, just slow.
The screenshot was taken with a ti 83+ rom, so hopefully with a 84+se rom it will be faster. The average loading time for the 84+se was about 10 seconds. My other project is still a sekrut Razz
That looks very cool for pure BASIC! Those text sprites are nice.
Would you mind posting the part of your code that loads the textsprites?
Sonlen wrote:

This^
Also, how do you configure the tilemap, forgive me if I skipped over an explanation.
It is an engine, so could anyone take this and make an RPG when it's done?
Well, if whatever reason you're going to have one of those damnable secret projects, there's no way I can really say which you should work on.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

This^
Also, how do you configure the tilemap, forgive me if I skipped over an explanation.
It is an engine, so could anyone take this and make an RPG when it's done?

The fact it is displaying a screen with graphics is a MAJOR part of any game engine, and he has text showing, which adds on to the fact it is close to it, now he just needs movement and more screens, items and a story, and it would be an rpg.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours