Hello,
The beta version of TI Developer has been released! This version includes everything you've seen about and heard of so far, and more! Plus, when I release the next version, it is set up to automatically update so you will always have the latest and greatest TI Developer.
Download it now, right here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tidev/
As mentioned on IRC, I'm working on debugging the Update feature with you. So far it looks like it won't work on Vista and Windows 7, due to permissioning problems, so we're working on that. I think it might be generally unstable under 64-bit Windows, too.
The latest version is now working. Thanks go out to Silver Shadow for helping me test out the update feature.
Don't double post
I published an update that gives TI Dev the ability to patch the boot page into OS ROMs. It is required for the latest version of KnightOS, so the team will have to update.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I published an update that gives TI Dev the ability to patch the boot page into OS ROMs. It is required for the latest version of KnightOS, so the team will have to update.
And that would of course be for Flash unlocking. Nicely done. Of course, this doesn't take any code from the TI-OS, right?
Yes it does. It patches it from the configured TI-83+ ROM, rather than distributing copyrighted content Razz
SirCmpwn wrote:
Yes it does. It patches it from the configured TI-83+ ROM, rather than distributing copyrighted content Razz
Wait, so it takes page $1F from a TI-made OS? That's still a pretty risky move in light of how quickly TI has come down on community projects that have used any of their code or binaries in the past...
Well, it takes page 1F from a user-specified ROM, and I have no part in *which* ROM they use... Wink
SirCmpwn wrote:
Well, it takes page 1F from a user-specified ROM, and I have no part in *which* ROM they use... Wink
Yeah, but that implies that if you ever want to mass-distribute this (which it sounds like you probably do), that every single user is going to have to both go through a tedious process and commit copyright infringement along the way, or you'll have to save them the tedium and commit lots of copyright infringement all at once. It seems to me that you might just be better off rewriting the routines yourself. I'd appreciate BrandonW's feedback on this too, though. Razz
The ROM file is not for distribution, it's just for their own use in debugging. The 8xu file doesn't actually contain this.
SirCmpwn wrote:
The ROM file is not for distribution, it's just for their own use in debugging. The 8xu file doesn't actually contain this.
Oh, really? So if you were going to load KOS on a hardware calculator, which already has a boot page, you wouldn't be putting any copyrighted content onto the calculator, just using the boot page that's already on the calculator?
Exactly. That's the trick I'm going to use with USB, too, I just won't overwrite the USB page. Also, the 8xu file can't contain the boot page, it would cause an error.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Exactly. That's the trick I'm going to use with USB, too, I just won't overwrite the USB page. Also, the 8xu file can't contain the boot page, it would cause an error.
Ah, I see, that seems a bit more legitimate, although not completely so. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it for debugging, but I guess unless you get a C&D order from TI, it's sorta above-board? Confused
Yeah, methinks so. And I'm still hoping to pry the USB docs off of TI. If it becomes a problem, I can just write my own boot page that does the same thing as TI's, and use it for the TI Dev ROM patcher.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Yeah, methinks so. And I'm still hoping to pry the USB docs off of TI. If it becomes a problem, I can just write my own boot page that does the same thing as TI's, and use it for the TI Dev ROM patcher.
Fair enough. And good luck getting the USB documentation from them! BrandonW has connections and has been trying for years.
I wonder why they are still holding on to it? They should have released it with the SDK years ago, it's just bad practice to release an incomplete SDK for no reason.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I wonder why they are still holding on to it? They should have released it with the SDK years ago, it's just bad practice to release an incomplete SDK for no reason.
It seems to me like you've uncovered a pretty significant reason for them not to release it, although I'd say BrandonW did first with MSD8x.
Well, way back when they released the SDK, there wasn't talk of 3rd party OSes, and MSD8x hadn't even been thought of yet.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Well, way back when they released the SDK, there wasn't talk of 3<sup>rd</sup> party OSes, and MSD8x hadn't even been thought of yet.
Yeah, but going back to their relationship with ETS and with teachers across the country and the world, it reflects somewhat badly on them if even 1GB of textbooks and notes can be put on their device for cheating on tests. Razz Solder the PCB from a USB stick into your calculator and instant crib sheets.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours