Hello,
Cool story about how Arabic Numerals got their shapes. This font does not do them justice, but I will attempt to explain.
Using the original symbols, where eight is all straight lines, and 7 has a slash through it, you will see something interesting. All of the angles in each numeral add up to the number it represents.
1 <- one angle, on top.
2 <- originally drawn like Z, two angles
3 <- originally drawn like a sigma, three angles
4 <- four angles, top, left, right, and just below the right one
5 <- five angles
6 <- originally all straight lines, six angles
7 <- originally with a line through the middle, seven angles
8 <- originally all straight lines, eight angles
9 <- it used to have a small tail on the bottom end, making nine
0 <- its a circle! no angles!

Just an interesting story.
wow, quite interesting. Thanks for sharing Very Happy
Sure thing. Interesting to know how our number system works, huh?
I remember my history teacher trying to explain this to me for about 3 weeks in middle school. You did better than that in about 15 seconds...
Thanks.
Indeed. Actually I'm working on something real quick for the calc (basic) to use arabic (well... 7 segment) numbers to display a number you type in
Lol I beat a history teacher in 15 seconds? I feel accomplished!
Yeah! and I'm sure any of you guys could beat my Pre-Algebra Teacher in half of that.
Oh yeah, I can take out any math teacher in moments.
Good to know hahaha. Hey, perchance are you decent enough in C++ or Java to help me figure it out? Just about every tutorial online sucks balls.
I will help you with C# if you wish.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Hello,
Cool story about how Arabic Numerals got their shapes. This font does not do them justice, but I will attempt to explain.
Using the original symbols, where eight is all straight lines, and 7 has a slash through it, you will see something interesting. All of the angles in each numeral add up to the number it represents.
1 <- one angle, on top.
5 <- five angles

Huh, that's some fascinating stuff right there! Kudos, SirCmpwn. Smile
SirCmpwn wrote:
Hello,
1 <- one angle, on top.
5 <- five angles

http://arabicnumerals.tripod.com/
SirCmpwn wrote:
I will help you with C# if you wish.

That may become an option at some point in the near future. I'm currently working on an idea for a PC based software. I have very little (practically no) knowledge of C++, Java, C#, or Visual Basic. I am taking a Java course this coming year, but I'd rather get a head start if I can so that I can work on the project and (hopefully) have it finished before Christmas break. At the moment I have enough on my mind (mainly summer work and the Omnimaga Contest Entry) but I'll definetely get back to you sometime soon about that.
Cool!
Ultdev, 1-up'd. Razz
@svakk your local library (the physical kind) can be a great asset to you: look for ap cs a/ab prep books for a crash course in java. Also, c# (.Net goodness) and java are syntax-wise quite similar. Have you had any eperience with object oriented programming?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hotlinking complete fail, but nifty link nonetheless. Now I see how 7 has seven angles; I was missing the two where the horizontal extended out past the right-side vertical.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hotlinking complete fail

It's only fail if I intended to hotlink the images Rolling Eyes
Hey, check this one out:

Take: 1st 2nd 3rd
Changes the numerals to A: ast and ard
rearange spaces: a standard

all other ordinal numbers end in th, so could this be deliberate?
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Hey, check this one out:

Take: 1<sup>st</sup> 2<sup>nd</sup> 3<sup>rd</sup>

I seriously doubt it, since the st and nd and rd are to indicate that 1st is pronounced "first" etc, whereas 4-10 are fourth, fifth, sixth, ...
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Hey, check this one out:

Take: 1<sup>st</sup> 2<sup>nd</sup> 3<sup>rd</sup>

No, that is called looking for meaning where there is none. Also, the choice of changing numbers to "a" is an arbitrary decision on your part. Do 1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, and you end up with nothing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours